Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Virginia fans ask "what in the world has happened to Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Virginia fans ask "what in the world has happened to Clemson

Apr 3, 2017, 3:02 PM

tennis"?

http://chat.virginia.sportswar.com/mid/8716209/board/tennis/

not just me folks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who cares what "white meat" thinks?***

Apr 3, 2017, 3:06 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well they are the two time defending tennis national champs

Apr 3, 2017, 3:12 PM

so they have a bit of authority on the sport

Perhaps I should rephrase...who cares about tennis?***

Apr 3, 2017, 3:23 PM

As long as it's a college sport at Clemson...I do********

Apr 3, 2017, 4:50 PM

Do you play a sport? My guess is, unless you are under the

Apr 3, 2017, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Perhaps I should rephrase...who cares about tennis?*** ]

age of 25, you don't play football. There's less than 2 million people that play football in the US. There are currently more than 18 million people that play tennis in the US.

I'd say that a lot of people care about tennis.

Tennis is a great sport for all ages. I know people in their 80's who still play competitively. I don't think you're going to find many football players in their 80's.

In case you want to talk "fans" and not participation in a

Apr 3, 2017, 5:09 PM

sport as a measure, tennis is the 4th most popular sport (with over 1 billion fans/athletes) in the world...football is 9th (with less than 500 million).

tennis is a worldwide game

Apr 3, 2017, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Do you play a sport? My guess is, unless you are under the ]

pretty much every region of the world plays it at some level except sub saharan african

Re: Perhaps I should rephrase...who cares about tennis?***

Apr 3, 2017, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Perhaps I should rephrase...who cares about tennis?*** ]

I played league tennis for 25+ years, and only because I have so many issues with my health do I not play today, so yes - I love the game. My goal is to get healthy enough in the next 3-4 months to play once again, even though I will now suck at it.

What's a tennis?

Apr 3, 2017, 3:08 PM

Tennessee Inebriation Society?

Snowflake Basher........Out

TIL today, there is a Uva Tennis board

Apr 3, 2017, 3:08 PM

must be raging on there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, with their football program in the state its in, they

Apr 3, 2017, 3:13 PM

have time to worry about Clemson Tennis? Their football team has lost to its rival for 14 straight years and did so this year by a 55-10 score. I believe that is the same score as the last time they played us. Their basketball program, although well above ours, underachieved this year. You'd think their football program alone would keep them occupied.

I know that

Apr 3, 2017, 3:16 PM

this post wasn't meant to say anything about Virginia but rather to show that people around the country have noticed how badly our tennis program has slipped

True, I noticed that a good while back. It seemed like they

Apr 3, 2017, 3:32 PM

surprised me and won something a couple of years ago, but really fell off the charts a long while back. It would be nice to see them get to winning some conference titles and going to the NCAA tourney.

Re: I know that

Apr 3, 2017, 3:59 PM [ in reply to I know that ]

Hold up and lets take a look at this and all concerning our athletic programs. Doesn't DRad spend millions on sports. I almost forgot, he did hire Monte Lee, but then he made another sour move by retaining Brad Brownell with 7 straight seasons of mediocrity and below!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some people don't care about football. I know that's

Apr 3, 2017, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Wow, with their football program in the state its in, they ]

difficult for you to believe, but it's true.

Re: Virginia fans ask "what in the world has happened to Clemson

Apr 3, 2017, 3:23 PM

Nope not just you.

You and 12 other people.

i have wondered the same thing

Apr 3, 2017, 3:26 PM

most of these folks probably don't remember

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

If I were UVA, I'd be worried less about Clemson tennis and

Apr 3, 2017, 3:35 PM

more about UVA football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

And, by UVa football, you meant UVa lacrosse, right?***

Apr 3, 2017, 3:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Both are last place programs***

Apr 3, 2017, 5:16 PM

What do you think is the problem?

Apr 3, 2017, 3:38 PM

I know nothing about Clemson tennis except they used to be good and are not so good for a while now.

To what do you attribute the problem? Coaching, facilities, resources, etc.? Aren't we going to spend a lot of money to upgrade and renovate the tennis facilities?

I'm one of those Clemson fans that wants us to excel in everything we do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well our indoor facility has been on the slate since 2011

Apr 3, 2017, 3:55 PM

but has been put on the back burner for other sports for many years and still hasn't been completed. But even despite that our outdoor facility is one of the better ones in the ACC.

I have been to all of them and I would rate our outdoor facility 4th best after FSU, NC State and Duke. (I have notion to Wake's new facility yet, its supposedly great).

So it's not facilities, it's not history. Fan support and commitment are a bit of an issue

here's another post from another forum

Apr 3, 2017, 3:52 PM

https://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php?threads/clemson-tiger-tennis.411776/page-30#post-11101999

from a junior tennis developer. Talk about how Clemson is nowhere on top recruits radar these days

wrong link

Apr 3, 2017, 3:55 PM

https://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php?threads/clemson-tiger-tennis.411776/page-30#post-11101999

this is the link to that one post ^

ok I guess not

Apr 3, 2017, 3:56 PM

this is what they said

---

South Carolina has some blue chip seniors who have played either singles or dubs at junior Grand Slams but they both are going out of state-one to Florida and one to Duke. Even two of the top three 11th graders from SC have already committed out of state-a blue chip to Wisconsin and a 5 star to Vanderbilt (dad was top 10 ATP player). The other 5 star is leaning toward Ivy, southern private school, or Big 10. If a player were to commit in state, he would probably choose USC over Clemson now anyway. Clemson did get two 5 stars who will be freshmen next year, one is a good player-almost a blue chip, the other was ranked a lot higher when he committed a year ago, but is playing better this spring. There are also some talented internationals training at those Hilton Head academies and playing junior ITFs but they also are not choosing to play in the Palmetto State. Goffi at least was at the Atlanta ITF and SC ITFs-didnt hear if Clemson coach was at either. At least one of the Big 10 coaches was at Atlanta ITF.

With the way things are at Clemson now, you dont hear blue chip and 5 star southern players talking about that school. Most of the guys have played tournaments in Clemson, and it is such a small town. I think a lot of southern players would choose Furman over Clemson TBH. Clemson should go after the Florida guys-there are so many of them; U of F gets the blue chips, UCF will get an elite mix, FL St gets internationals, and there are high 5 stars, almost blue chips from FL going to schools like Florida Atlantic. Most of the top 100 Florida juniors for the senior and junior class have played and won at least a qualifying match in a Future. The Tigers need to go looking in the Sunshine State...

Maybe the Florida and southern guys want more of a change in seasons; the first choice of a lot of those elite players are Ivy League and Big 10.

-----

Who else cares what Va. thinks?***

Apr 3, 2017, 4:18 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It comes down to recruiting in every sport

Apr 3, 2017, 4:21 PM

I for one know that Football is king as it should be, but cannot understand why with the money Clemson has, we should have the best in ALL sports and we should adopt the mentality that we expect to be the best in ALL sports.

We get the cursory wink of an eye from drad but he doesn't put the money where his mouth is. Don't think for a moment that uscjr isn't trying to get there in EVERY sport, men and women.

When Christy McKinney was head of women bball and not going anywhere, we had a chance to hire Dawn Staley. Afterall, she was a uva star and stock was rising. No, coots decided to take it seriously and all she's done is recruit, and recruit the state.

We got the win the State in recruiting in everything.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would say it's more about recruiting in individual sports

Apr 3, 2017, 4:25 PM

like tennis than any other sports. Because in football and basketball you can at least have things like styles of play and team chemistry to overcome talent gaps. But in tennis, you are recruiting guys who have been coached by other junior coaches their whole lives and already have an established style of play, strengths and weaknesses etc. A college tennis coach is more like a manager.

Since Coach Kriese left it seems recruiting took a turn

Apr 3, 2017, 4:55 PM

for the worse. Maybe he was getting the same talent level players but developed his players better? Of course it's been a while since he was here.

He's stinking things up at elCid now, so who knows.

Keep us updated with these recruiting tidbits.***

Apr 3, 2017, 4:34 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Wow this is titillating conversation here.***

Apr 3, 2017, 5:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Better than all the talk about coot women's basketball.***

Apr 3, 2017, 5:28 PM

Results & recruiting aren't there.

Apr 3, 2017, 6:21 PM

It's like what happened w/ football in the 90s & 00s. We've got complacent w/ facilities, results, whatever. There's no reason we shouldn't have consistent success in our sports. There's no single fix & no quick fix, but as we saw w/ football & what we're seeing w/ baseball & soccer, if we get the right person in charge and get solid commitment to recruiting & facilities, we can have that success again. It also requires a commitment from the fan & alumni base as well.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic