Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Very simple Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1,379

Very simple Question

Oct 11, 2014, 10:22 PM

Can someone please explain to me why we did not double the outside receivers when L'Ville got it first and 10 on their own 24 yd line with no timeouts and the Tigers leading 23-17? In the FSU game Venables admitted he was wrong by not doubling Green late in the game and he made the same mistake tonite.. Seriously, our coaching leaves a lot to be desired. They simply do not seem to learn from THEIR mistakes!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very simple Question

Oct 11, 2014, 10:24 PM

It was bracket coverage (double coverage) over the top and safety fell down.

Oct 11, 2014, 10:46 PM

we always can find a guy to fall down in a crucial situation. I've never seen any team who could match us for that. our cleats must be seconds or something. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2014, 11:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Very simple Question ]

Please don't spoil TJ's irrational responses with facts. He is produce manager at Bi Lo and coaches his grear granddaughter's 7th grade rec league soccer team. He's never wrong.

What he said***

Oct 11, 2014, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Very simple Question ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2014, 10:24 PM

They basically did. They had a corner underneath and a safety over the top. The problem was the safety took a poor angle and lost his footing.

Message was edited by: DT71®

Oct 11, 2014, 10:29 PM

FT71: How many DB's were in the game on that play? I counted 4

Oct 11, 2014, 10:48 PM

There was double coverage. The field bit our second man in coverage.

Oct 11, 2014, 11:01 PM

reynolds: with all due respect, that does not answer the question. how many Defensive Backs were in the game when they had no timeouts and first and ten on about their own 24? If there were not 6 db's WHY not?

Oct 11, 2014, 11:28 PM

Because "the prevent defense never prevented anything."
It would not have been a true prevent with 6, but changing to "prevent" mentality, more often than not, ends in disaster.

Oct 11, 2014, 11:31 PM

agree in principle but not with 75 yards to go and just over a minute on the clock. The D needs to be designed to force the play inside as they had no timeouts..

Oct 11, 2014, 11:39 PM

It is designed that way, but wasn't executed well. The CB gave the WR an outside release, which was the mistake before the safety took the poor angle and fell.

Oct 11, 2014, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Very simple Question ]

They were in a nickel defense, so there were 5 DB's and 2 LB's. A dime defense uses 6 defensive backs and a single linebacker.

If they were in a dime, the same result would have happened, as the WR who caught the ball was already bracketed and therefore double covered. The 6th DB in a dime package would not have helped.

If you are asking in general why they weren't in dime, it is probably because BV felt better manning up their TE and RB out of the backfield with the two LB's, Anthony and Boulware, who played lights out all game. You put your best players on the field in those situations.

Oct 11, 2014, 11:35 PM

OK. I am not a fan of a "prevent" defense but I would have had 6 db's to force them inside with no timeouts. I really am getting at what "packages" do we have for given situations. I suspect we are wanting in that area. We won so it's academic but we almost lost again because we still have not put a power package to run on 1st and goal on the one. Really strange how history repeats itself now isn't it?

Oct 11, 2014, 11:40 PM

O is definitely a problem at the moment. D is doing just fine.

Oct 11, 2014, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Very simple Question ]

It is designed to force the WR inside but the CB got beat at the LOS and gave him an outside release.

I don't have an answer why we snap the ball back 7 yards to get 6 inches, especially given past results.

Oct 11, 2014, 11:52 PM

hens: Until we get a short yardage power package we're peeeing in the wind! It cost us the FSU game and nearly cost us this one. There are many alternatives to try because this shotgun appraoch is simply not working this year!

Oct 11, 2014, 11:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Very simple Question ]

we can discuss it until the cows come home but I believe in that game situation speed is the most critical factor on defense.
As a general observation everyone on here seems to think that our coaches are pluperfect and repeating mistrakes is not a sign of top coaching IMO. As a side note, in the FSU game I questioned why we did not double late in the game on Green and Brent V. came back and admitted that in retrospect he would have done so. What I am saying is I think our coaches know the game as well as anyone but I do question the strategy used from time to time

Oct 11, 2014, 11:48 PM

BV learned from his mistake at FSU and doubled the WR in this game. The players simply didn't execute.

Oct 11, 2014, 11:54 PM

I agree. and we do need to improve the O given Watson's absence

Replies: 19
| visibility 1,379
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic