Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC Tourney Bids
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,267

ACC Tourney Bids

Mar 7, 2018, 8:29 PM

Every bracketologist has NC State as a lock but they have an RPI of 64 after today’s loss. That would tie for the 2nd lowest RPI ever allowed into the field (NC State already has the distinction of 3rd lowest RPI ever let in the field at 63 in 2005).

Florida State, commonly projected as solidly in, should be on the bubble with a 52 RPI. They played Louisville 3 times this year so a win by Louisville against Virginia should actually give FSU a decent boost - even this late in the game.

Va Tech, also considered a lock, is at 50 and should be more of a bubble team. If they close out against ND they will move to a real lock.

Louisville, considered a bubble team by most, has a 39 RPI and probably would improve that number with a loss to Virginia. i think they’re in no matter what.

Syracuse, considered outside looking on most brackets has an RPI of 38 after yesterday’s win. A win tonight against UNC should make them a lock.

Basically our top 5 (UVA, Duke, Miami, Clem, UNC) are ??. Bottom 5 (ND, BC, GT, WF, Pitt) are done. Of the middle 5 (NC St, Sy, FSU, Va Tech, L) 3 are still playing. It’s going to be a more interesting than usual selection Sunday.

For the record - I think the ACC gets 8 teams in and NC State and FSU get left behind (obviously barring a miracle run by BC). But I’m not particularly confident in that appraisal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC Tourney Bids

Mar 7, 2018, 8:31 PM

I think 9 get in but who knows. It really could be 10 just depends on how other conference championships play out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think FSU is probably in... I do agree, though, that NCSU

Mar 7, 2018, 8:36 PM

should be worried. I don't think they are as safe as it seems. VPI is in, regardless... and if somehow ND comes back to win, they may get in...

I think Syracuse has to beat UNC to get in...

Something to keep an eye on is other conferences. For example, OKST could steal a spot from an NCSU if they beat OU, especially considering NCSU lost to BC.

VT's RPI fell to 64 today

Mar 8, 2018, 2:26 AM

Using traditional measurements for tournament worthiness, VT may not even be a bubble team but a team that is squarely OUT. Using the newer metrics (quadrant wins, KenPom, Sagarin, etc), the Hokies are IN. What worries me is that the committee may give more credibility to the traditionally used metrics and snub the Hokies.

Meanwhile, Cuse and Louisville end up in for similar reasons.

That said, I don't understand why NC State is so highly thought of.

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,267
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic