Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Top 4 teams will be chosen after conference championships...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 2,498

Top 4 teams will be chosen after conference championships...

Jun 21, 2012, 3:13 PM

This, in itself, tells you that the Big XII is getting back to at least 12 for a title game.

ND doesn't go until at least 2015...

They will need 2...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

this chain of domino's started falling yesterday

Jun 21, 2012, 3:15 PM

and will now pick up steam...ND gets a deal they can live with and remain independent...SEC and Big12 get their deal of top 4....ACC doesn't get their savior in ND...ACC schools see conf champs are not going to be included as automatic invites and realize with SOS you're going to have to go 13-0 to get into the final four...very hard to do....dominos are falling fast now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo Is 10000000000000 % Committed To ACC and So

Jun 21, 2012, 3:24 PM

are all those crickets on here right after the OB blowout. But they are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. Pass the pop corn and soda before it is banned. Stay tuned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo and Brownell are punking alls of us and they have been

Jun 21, 2012, 3:25 PM

telling recruits we are leaving the ACC. Why do you think business has picked up this week? :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo and Brownell are punking alls of us and they have been

Jun 21, 2012, 3:32 PM

TigerD4Him...i think you may be on to something there...

Re: Dabo and Brownell are punking alls of us and they have been

Jun 21, 2012, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Dabo and Brownell are punking alls of us and they have been ]

> telling recruits we are leaving the ACC. Why do you
> think business has picked up this week? :)

How do we know this?

Does it?...

Jun 21, 2012, 3:35 PM

The big 12 can remain at 10 teams, have a conference champion determined in the regular season, and still have a place at the table. I don't see why this tells you that they have to get to at least 12.

Re: Does it?...

Jun 21, 2012, 3:37 PM

I thought you techers were supposed to be smart....

In RPI....
13-0 > 12-0
12-1 > 11-1

Champ game = $$$

It ain't hard logic....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the Big 12 feels their conference is strong enough to

Jun 21, 2012, 3:45 PM

keep their RPI high they may feel like a 9 game conference schedule and no championship game maybe more beneficial to them. If they feel their chances are betting of getting teams into a 4 team playoff w/out a title game, then the $ they get from that could possibly trump the $ they would earn with a title game but no playoff $. Just depends on what the dollar figures actually are.

I just don't see how you can not have a game as a major

Jun 21, 2012, 3:47 PM

conf on the first Sunday in December with the rest having one...the exposure and $ are incredible. Even the B1G gave in last yr and it was an incredible success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But how incredible is the money actually?

Jun 21, 2012, 3:54 PM

that is something I would really like to know and if someone out there could find the yearly specifics of each for each conference I would greatly appreciate it!

good read

Jun 21, 2012, 3:56 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sportsmoney/2010/11/30/in-a-league-of-its-own-the-sec-championship-game/

That is a good read thanks, but

Jun 21, 2012, 4:00 PM

it has more to do with the economic impact of the game on the city it is held in and the secondary ticket market. The conferences themselves unfortunately don't see either of that.

No they won't stand by and allow the other leagues to have

Jun 21, 2012, 3:59 PM [ in reply to I just don't see how you can not have a game as a major ]

a Championship game and their Champion get left out because they did not play that weekend.

It's never hurt a conference before***

Jun 21, 2012, 4:01 PM

If you can make $500 a ticket for a game at Cowboys

Jun 21, 2012, 4:08 PM

Stadium and invite 90000 of your friends and make $45M why in the world would you not do it?

That'd be a no brainer for you and me, but

Jun 21, 2012, 4:13 PM

do you think the Big 12 would actually make tickets $500 a piece? Do you think the schools around the conference would let it be in Dallas every year? I doubt both would ever happen, but I could at least see maybe the game always being at Cowboys stadium. I don't think you'd ever see tickets for $500 a game though and if Texas or Oklahoma weren't in it, good luck filling it.

let's say it's $250 per ticket

Jun 21, 2012, 4:15 PM

that's $22.5M...split that up 12 ways

I guess what I really hate is all the speculation

Jun 21, 2012, 4:21 PM

I just wish all the specific numbers were out there for all of us to see and it sucks not knowing fully what we're talking about. That's what gets me. I don't really lean either way on issues like this, I just don't know all the facts to help me decide and it's just frustrating to me that's all.

Well...

Jun 21, 2012, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Does it?... ]

for example... let's say there's a 2 loss Big XII champion, minus championship game.

A 2 loss SEC team wins the SEC Championship game over ann undefeated team.

The team that played the extra game would likely get that spot.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Then again a 1 loss Big 12 team would get in over the 2 loss

Jun 21, 2012, 3:42 PM

SEC team most likely and had the SEC not played a conference championship game, their undefeated team would've been a lock. If the Pac 12 and ACC champs were undefeated the lack of a Big 12 title game might benefit them. There are scenarios to both sides.

there are....the conf champ games have simply been about

Jun 21, 2012, 3:43 PM

$ from the start....SEC started it and it's been a gold mine for them here in ATL at the Dome. Going back to 12 teams is about $

But how much money does it actually pull in?

Jun 21, 2012, 3:51 PM

I've never heard actual $ figures on what the conf championship games make each conference. I've seen thousands of posts by people on message boards claiming conferences make boatloads on it, but I've never seen a document amount listed.

I'm just curious to the exact number b/c the Big 12 has stated they are content with 10 and the Big East never looked to expand, nor did the Pac 12 for many many years before they finally did, as did the Big 10. I understand the conferences obviously make money off the conf championship games, but if it was such a cash cow why did we go so long with only 3 big conferences participating in them?

Re: But how much money does it actually pull in?

Jun 21, 2012, 3:55 PM

$15.3 million from the SEC Football Championship

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/226366/2010-11-sec-revenue-distribution.aspx

Devide that by 12....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So that's a little more than $1 million a team each year

Jun 21, 2012, 4:07 PM

Would the Big 12 match the SEC? How much would a school like Texas get by having an extra home game once every 2 years instead of playing a title game? Their avg ticket price is $85 in a 100,000 seat stadium so off ticket sales alone that'd be $8.5 mil every 2 years. Would a title game be in their best interest?

Guess I'm not following you

Jun 21, 2012, 4:11 PM

but why would TX be given an extra home game because of no conf title game?

b/c the Big 12 wants to play 9 conference games instead

Jun 21, 2012, 4:17 PM

of a conference title game meaning every other year each school gets a 5th home game. Of course they could also do what the ACC is planning on doing, but they stated they would only do 9 without a title game. I guess their logic is that 9 games PLUS a conference title game is too much. Things and attitudes could certainly change at anytime though I would never deny that, but I guess that's the scenarios they were looking at right now.

Re: So that's a little more than $1 million a team each year

Jun 21, 2012, 4:16 PM [ in reply to So that's a little more than $1 million a team each year ]

champ is just part of the equation. Goign to 12 also inscreases tv contract revenue by a good deal....

I just wish specifics were out there***

Jun 21, 2012, 4:18 PM

agreed.... I wish the ACC would release ANYTHING pertaining

Jun 21, 2012, 4:21 PM

to their TV deal

they need to throw us a bone lol!***

Jun 21, 2012, 4:22 PM

But of course, you realize it works both ways...

Jun 21, 2012, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Well... ]

A conference championship game is an opportunity for a 0 or 1-loss team to get an additional loss. So, while it might help, it also could hurt.

Smitty given that I live here in Atl I'm going to miss a

Jun 21, 2012, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Does it?... ]

game against GT...easy drive for me to BDS@GF but I think we're good as gone

That's too bad, really...

Jun 21, 2012, 4:30 PM

I hope Clemson and FSU come to their senses. From what I see, they're facing a short-term problem and thinking that it's a long-term problem, thereby prompting a long-term "solution" of moving to the Big 12, which IMO, is not a solution for either school.

This isn't a short term problem only

Jun 21, 2012, 4:33 PM

this is a revenue problem both short and long term. Also there is a complete lack of trust between the ACC and Clemson/FSU. Clemson and FSU see SC/Florida having a tremendous revenue advantage and it can't continue indefinitely without an impact in the long term. How can Clemson and FSU make up $50M over 10 yrs?

I'm not big cheerleader for the ACC...

Jun 21, 2012, 4:43 PM

But I think it's no coincidence that FSU is thinking of leaving after a bad decade, which was not the ACC's fault, but was of FSU's bad coaching decisions. And I don't think Clemson even considers leaving the ACC if they hadn't lost 3 in a row to SCU.

The ACC's problems mostly stem from a lack of performance on the field. If we fix that, the money will fix itself. Going to the B12 will be a huge mistake on many levels.

I think we've reached a point that many married couples

Jun 21, 2012, 4:49 PM

reach where we both don't trust them and have decided that it's in our best interest to go in another direction based on what I'm reading here. You might be right that both Clemson and FSU were part of the problem here but that doesn't mean we are obligated to remain and fix the problems. Everyone is in this for themselves.

You're going to be very isolated in a Texas league...

Jun 21, 2012, 4:53 PM

If it were the SEC you were talking to, I'd understand it. Hell, I'd tell you to make the jump. But the Big 12 is not a good league for either Clemson or FSU. And it's more than just geography that would be a problem.

I realize I have no say in this at all. I'm just a guy on a message board. And I'm biased, too. Tech has a lot vested in the ACC. If you and FSU left, it would all unravel. But even beyond that, I think it's a mistake for Clemson and FSU.

maybe so...time will tell...I think people making these type

Jun 21, 2012, 4:56 PM

of decisions aren't making them with emotion and can't make them with emotion. They are making them strictly based upon numbers.

After hearing the FSU BOT Chairman pop off...

Jun 21, 2012, 5:10 PM

I'm not so sure about that. I think some of the decision-makers are just as emotional as people like me.

funny...he did pop off

Jun 21, 2012, 5:13 PM

and I think that's the lack of trust with the ACC coming out....simply don't like or trust Swofford and his crew.

Don't blame him for not liking Swofford...

Jun 21, 2012, 7:20 PM

If nothing else, I wish schools like FSU, Clemson & Tech (and anyone that wants to join us) could band together and force Swofford out. We need better leadership. He's not the ultimate decision-maker in everything. But we need a guy that's stronger at the bargaining table, and a guy that's more persuasive...as well as someone who isn't cutting TV deals just to help his son.

Wow.....you're like a wh0re in church !***

Jun 21, 2012, 4:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Top 4 teams will be chosen after conference championships...

Jun 21, 2012, 4:32 PM

my lord give it up man. the egg on your face is beginning to harden.

Re: Top 4 teams will be chosen after conference championships...

Jun 21, 2012, 4:42 PM

your same old nonsense is getting old as well.

How does that mean anything?

Jun 21, 2012, 4:46 PM

That is the same way bowls and the MNC game have been decided.

And as a counter to your argument about a two loss team being left out. Maybe the B12 believes that more times than not their champion will have one or zero losses. Adding an additional game for the champion against the second best team in the conference puts them at risk of losing their spot in the playoffs. It works both ways.

I Don't See It

Jun 21, 2012, 8:35 PM

That doesn't mean a team chosen for the 4-team playoff has to win a conference championship game. It just means the selection committee will wait until after the conference championship games to pick the best 4.

If anything the format for the playoffs might mean Big 12 powers like Texas and Oklahoma might want to stay at 10 to avoid taking a chance at losing in a conference championship game and missing out on the playoffs.

Re: I Don't See It

Jun 21, 2012, 8:40 PM

One less win can mean a whole lot.

12-1 > 11-1

Replies: 47
| visibility 2,498
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic