Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To end the Will Wade talk
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 3,536

To end the Will Wade talk

Mar 15, 2017, 10:01 PM

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/article_f2551c2e-02a7-5f8c-b93b-23053c31964b.html

I was raised in Richmond and went to VCU basketball camps as a kid and as such I am a big VCU basketball fan.
VCU is a basketball school and they have passionate fans. They are consistently upgrading their stadium and have a wait list for season tickets.

I don't know what the next step is for our basketball coaching situation but I think we can put this to rest. If a coaching change is made it won't be will wade.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

your "evidence" is unconvincing.

Mar 15, 2017, 10:03 PM

If Clemson were serious, they could double his salary and have wasted way more money on facility upgrades than VCU has, for a school that doesn't take basketball seriously. Plus, he's a Clemson man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: To end the Will Wade talk

Mar 15, 2017, 10:04 PM

Never say never

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 15, 2017, 10:05 PM

It will cost us a lot if we get the right coach.

Mar 15, 2017, 10:09 PM

I see it going either way. You're going to have a tough time convincing an established coach to come to clemson. We don't fill out the stands and he would really have to put in a lot of work to get the fans and recruits excited about the direction of our program.

I wouldn't mind taking uncw's coach

Mar 15, 2017, 10:13 PM

The right man can win here. OP brought that pressing fast paced game and the fans loved it. Barnes had no problem getting the fans excited. It can be done.

We've hired winners ... they just don't stay at Clemson

Mar 16, 2017, 3:49 AM

The right guy can definitely win at Clemson, but then you have to convince them to stay at Clemson. Both Barnes and Purnell won at Clemson and then they quit on Clemson.

We have a former UNCW coach***

Mar 16, 2017, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: To end the Will Wade talk ]

Mar 15, 2017, 10:06 PM

He has the ties to Clemson . You may be right , but having the chance to build a winner in the best basketball conference in America ? I don't know , but doesn't hurt to ask .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Mar 15, 2017, 10:09 PM

We have to ask.

Mar 15, 2017, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Re: To end the Will Wade talk ]

If our ad is worth anything a call should be made but leaving a basketball school that has had success and made it to the A10 championship 5 years in a row. Asking him to leave that for a pretty big project. Can't see it

Mar 16, 2017, 2:06 PM

"pretty big project" is probably a gross understatement

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saying he has ties to Clemson is an understatement

Mar 15, 2017, 10:45 PM [ in reply to Re: To end the Will Wade talk ]

He's an Alumnus and got his first shot at coaching here.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

That article was from last year***

Mar 15, 2017, 10:14 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.***

Mar 15, 2017, 10:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

what's he wrong about? You don't think VCU is a

Mar 15, 2017, 10:44 PM

better job?

it is... by a lot right now

Absolutely NOT !!!

Mar 16, 2017, 9:44 AM

They play in the Atlantic 10 for cryin' out loud.

It's a solid little league but it certainly not the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

um... VCU is a much better job than Clemson

Mar 16, 2017, 12:38 PM

Conference is irrelevant in this case. One team will be in the tourney every year and one will be the 9-12 range every year in a conference of giants. VCU is a top 20 job. Clemson is a top 50

VCU is a better basketball job than Clemson

Mar 15, 2017, 10:42 PM

and it's not even close, really

could it change? possibly... but it's really not even close

That being said- I'd love to get Wade

Right now, yes; but for the right coach, Clemson could

Mar 15, 2017, 11:11 PM

become the better job, maybe quite a bit better.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Right now, yes; but for the right coach, Clemson could

Mar 15, 2017, 11:15 PM

We are a sleeping giant. If the administration really gets behind basketball, look out ACC.

In what way exactly are we a sleeping giant?***

Mar 16, 2017, 12:25 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In what way exactly are we a sleeping giant?***

Mar 16, 2017, 7:38 AM

If it was something that a really good coach would be interested in - a really good coach could come to CLEMSON and break every (good) record we have in just a few short years. Do we actually have any decent records? If I were the AD, I would at least mention that - just in case someone might want to be the coach that goes down in CLEMSON's history books as the G.O.A.T coach.

not so sure...

Mar 15, 2017, 11:56 PM [ in reply to Right now, yes; but for the right coach, Clemson could ]

Clemson could be a great job-- absolutely

but VCU doesn't compete with football, has a ton of money, and is in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country...

plus, they are similar to Gonzaga years ago, and most recently Butler--- they are essentially a major right now

Not so sure VCU is a better Job

Mar 15, 2017, 11:21 PM [ in reply to VCU is a better basketball job than Clemson ]

Clemson is in the ACC and a coach that can be competitive here will get his gets a lot of exposure. The right man has the opportunity to be legendary here. Heck, just beating UNCheat one time in Chapel Hill woukd probably land him on the front page of Sports Illustrated.

VCU is right in the middle of one of the most fertile

Mar 15, 2017, 11:54 PM

recruiting grounds in the nation-- they do not share with football-- they are essentially a major right now, thanks to what Shaka and Wade have done--- unbelievable support...

yes, it is a better job-- by far

not saying Clemson could not get there, but VCU is a big time job

what would Clemson have to do to get there?***

Mar 16, 2017, 12:26 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: VCU is right in the middle of one of the most fertile

Mar 16, 2017, 2:53 AM [ in reply to VCU is right in the middle of one of the most fertile ]

There aren't football players in Virginia?

are you serious?***

Mar 16, 2017, 12:42 PM

We've already provided two good coaches enough "exposure ...

Mar 16, 2017, 3:54 AM [ in reply to Not so sure VCU is a better Job ]

Clemson is in the ACC and a coach that can be competitive here will get his gets a lot of exposure.

We've already provided two good coaches enough exposure to move on to what they considered better jobs.

Let's avoid any coaches who are seeking "exposure" ... please!

Mar 16, 2017, 3:43 AM

Not so fast my friend ...... Will Wade dearly loved Clemson and with several of the top coaches nearing retirement . It may be a good time to come into the league .

Mar 16, 2017, 4:19 AM

Exactly , and with a guy like Dabo and the success posted by his program Clemson is a very national brand right now .
Perhaps Will Wade would like to be the head coach of his alma mater and build his own championship caliber team in a place that gave him his start ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Mar 16, 2017, 7:36 AM

To say Clemson fans don't support bob is a mistake. We don't support something that is a poor Clemson product, PERIOD! Football when we had previous coaches that didn't have a good product, fan attendance went down. Baseball at the end before the present coach, attendance was down. Basketball use to have fans, until the product on the court went south. Put a quality product out there and CLEMSON fans support it. Clemson fans expect the BEST and now it's time for change. Maybe even the AD the way he gives away money for poor coaches and buyouts.

Mar 16, 2017, 8:10 AM

Can't argue with that!

Mar 16, 2017, 8:15 AM

How does that end the Will Wade talk?? If we call and pay the same or more than VCu why would he not want to come home?

Mar 16, 2017, 8:38 AM

You're right about his area being a fertile basketball recruiting ground though , which is all the more reason to pursue him as he has established quite a few relationships in Va high schools having done 2 seperate stints in Richmond .

DB23

Of course not. It will be somebody we've never heard.

Mar 16, 2017, 12:33 PM

I'd never heard of purnell or Brad brownell before they got on our list of candidates. Clemson fans always think our basketball program closely equals the reputation of our football and baseball programs for coaches. I'm sorry guys, it doesn't. We either get duds or springboarders. No one stays here if they're good.

I don't see anything there that would act as a real

Mar 16, 2017, 12:38 PM

deterrent. 1mil per year + an undisclosed raise. I doubt he's making more than 1.5ish. We an easily pay more than that. It's not like he's making 3.3M a year like Marshall.

yeah but two more years of success and he's looking at a major job

Mar 16, 2017, 12:51 PM

In a power conference, not a mediocre opportunity in a power conference. If u go to Clemson and struggle to a 5 or 7 seed every year then what?? When u could be at Indiana or Kansas making huge money and huge storylines.

He's not close to getting hired by a Kansas or Indiana right

Mar 16, 2017, 1:10 PM

now.

Re: yeah but two more years of success and he's looking at a major job

Mar 16, 2017, 2:14 PM [ in reply to yeah but two more years of success and he's looking at a major job ]

The idea is that he would being his A-Game to Clemson ( his alma mater ) and turn US into a consistent winner in basketball .
The right attitude, right vision , right players and a belief in the institution is all that is needed .
See : Dabo Swinney

DB23

Mar 16, 2017, 2:16 PM

That doesnt end anything... He also has Clemson connections.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Replies: 41
| visibility 3,536
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic