Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Tennessee fires their men's basketball coach....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,623

So Tennessee fires their men's basketball coach....

Mar 27, 2015, 9:51 AM

after one season because of alleged NCAA violations that occurred while he was at Southern Mississippi?

Will Tennessee now lose it's $EC man card too for doing this?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: So Tennessee fires their men's basketball coach....

Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM

I actually thought that got you a raise and/or a promotion in the $EC

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re:Tenn fires their men's basketball coach...Yet they employ

Mar 27, 2015, 10:06 AM

acknowledged NCAA cheater Bruce Pearl for years? Something is wrong with this picture

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be fair...

Mar 27, 2015, 11:25 AM

Prior to Tennessee, Pearl's biggest gaffe was attempting to record a prospect detailing his inducements from other programs. He essentially broke the code of omerta with regards to recruiting, and was black-balled from the profession for it. He served a decade in Division III for the pleasure.

At Tennessee, he was caught for illegal phone calls and hosting recruits at his home for a bar-b-que. The phone call portion of his transgressions are so egregious, the restrictions are no longer part of the rule book. The bar-b-que was a violation because it was off-campus - for while it was a non-contact period, the kid initiated the visit by coming to campus, and therefor it only became a violation when they left campus.

Where he got nailed was he lied about it, and did so despite the fact the enforcement team had a time stamped, geo-located, tagged photograph from the prospect's facebook page. Had he copped to it, the whole thing would have been a string of secondary violations, and possibly a failure to monitor.

Pearl's compliance director at Auburn was the lead investigator on the enforcement team that handled his case.

I don't think Pearl is any sleazier than 95% of the coaches in the Power 5 conferences.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You misspelled "in the $EC".***

Mar 27, 2015, 11:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Hey cooties:

Mar 27, 2015, 10:27 AM

Duzzat mean Frank is going to UT and coach????

Y'all have a coattail moment coming....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe they are still on probation.

Mar 27, 2015, 11:13 AM

While they could have stood by him, and increased the scope of monitoring, the easier (and cheaper) course of action was to cut him loose.

Besides, the hiring of this coach was more of a marriage of convenience any way. Tennessee didn't want to commit to the large sum that California was willing to pay Cuonzo Martin, and let him walk. The Southern Miss coach wasn't a hot property, he was there and he was cheap - a consideration given the dead money being paid for both the previous football coach and athletic director.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,623
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic