Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FOLKS, FOLKS, FOLKS, FOLKS....I BEG YOU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

FOLKS, FOLKS, FOLKS, FOLKS....I BEG YOU

Nov 1, 2012, 7:31 AM

No one gets angrier than I with words or actions that are anti-Clemson. We all know what the agenda is of characters like this Carvell so-and-so with the AJC. I have posted several times the old caveat: blood is thicker than water...and we are the water in regards to Robert and his family. Many discount the importance of a site like TigerNet; yet, repeatedly comments from this site are cited in the national media. As people are wont to do, a comment is embellished and reembellished, then passed on...and believe me, at some point someone like RN or his family members hear or read it. Perhaps, the worst comments are those against his Mother, for I know how any of us would feel were we to read or hear ill-advised comments about our own Mothers. I believe our best action is to let Dabo and Co. manage the recruiting process, while we simply offer words of encouragement. Lastly, I am not, repeat not, calling out any member of this site...we are Clemson brothers-in-arms; rather, I hope these few words from this older Tiger who has lived and breathed Clemson for 50 years will serve to encourage steadfast calm amid the storm.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ready for it to be over***

Nov 1, 2012, 7:38 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Any newspaper or media outlet that uses a sports board as a

Nov 1, 2012, 7:44 AM

source is without merit. I will say it again. A N Y B O D Y, can post on a sports board. They may be a Clemson fan. But, they could just as easily be an SEC fan. Heck, that idiot Cavelle or whatever, could have a user name on here, make a terrible post about a player, and then use it as a source. I am fairly certain our Coaches educate our recruits on such a possibilty.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are on target....Unfortunately, the media does refer to

Nov 1, 2012, 7:50 AM

sports boards, which contain entries from all types. Obviously, there are lurkers on TNet for the fun of it or with their own agendas, and although not the paranoid type, I'm certain comments are relayed to others...and then embellished and relayed elsewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand what both of you are saying

Nov 1, 2012, 7:52 AM

But...at what point does all of this become bad for the university?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

While at CU many years ago and undergoing Rat Season,

Nov 1, 2012, 9:13 AM

the upperclassmen stressed the importance of keeping things in-house regarding Clemson. Of course, in this day and age it's difficult to do so. A bad comment(s) will be relayed across the media, social websites, etc. until a comment(s) becomes a "story" of its own. Again, I'm not paranoid; however, posts about any recruit, especially one like RN, will bring out the best and worst of posters, especially those inclined to highly disparaging remarks. The negativity then becomes bad for Clemson.

It's not the ones using Tnet as a source I worry about.

Nov 1, 2012, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Any newspaper or media outlet that uses a sports board as a ]

It's the media that use Tnet as a *weapon* that I worry about. In this instance we're playing right into the AJC's hands...all they have to do is mention that Nkemdiche's dithering, whether it's true or not, and Tnet explodes--gives them (and opposing recruiters) endless fodder to feed his family. "Clemson fans are already hating on you...do you see what they're saying about your mom?...Do you really want to go to school where fans are such turncoats?..." etc etc etc. When that happens, facts are not important--perception is.

Precisely....If anyone doubts what you're saying, look how

Nov 1, 2012, 8:56 AM

many posts are made on TNet about comments made on other sites. I'm afraid that our society has become one of chatterboxes, which, admittedly, I am. I just try to be cautious of the type of chattering....

Here is my measly take...

Nov 1, 2012, 7:50 AM

I can understand her point of view as a parent. 2 kids at 2 different schools playing at 2 different locations on the same day makes it tough.
My only problem with what I read in that interview is her underlying tone that Clemson is at fault for Roberts commitment. This young man is a SENIOR. It would be idiotic to think that his recruitment has not gone on for at LEAST 2 years now. If he committed the very least she could do is "go out of her way" to see the place that captured his heart. I'd like to see for myself if I felt that my years of parenting led to my son making that commitment to a place that I approved of WITHOUT EVER SEEING IT!
Most of all what I would like to see is whoever the editor of the AJC (which in my eyes is now looking like the National Enquirer with these stories) step up and run stories that actually have teeth..like say...the exodus of recruits decommitting from your own states flagship university?

There have been numerous recruits over the years (we've had

Nov 1, 2012, 7:58 AM

our share of them...think C.J.) who have had opposition from family members regarding their school selection. Yet, I believe our best action is to rely upon the recruiting abilities of our staff, which have proven to be successful. And I agree: this one individual with the AJC has an agenda, while apparently the paper has failed to address problems in its own backyard regarding both UGA and GT.

Very true...

Nov 1, 2012, 8:04 AM

The one that comes to mind is Tony Steward. Sitting in his home gymnasium full of Seminole fans he chooses Clemson. With all the research she did on Ole Miss I think it would benefit her greatly to do a little on the Tigers. Players that have played DE here recently have done VERY well in the draft. I think more importantly she should look at the relationship that players continue to have with this university after the final run down the hill. Can't really speak for Ole Miss but I have a hunch they don't keep that same level of brotherhood once its all over.

Good points....At this point I have to believe that Dabo and

Nov 1, 2012, 8:10 AM

Co. know quite a great deal more than we and are prepared to address it in their own way, in their own time. Thus, as of this moment, I prefer to say, "Never say never."

I agree. The main problem with recruiting coverage is

Nov 1, 2012, 8:33 AM

it gives emotionally immature folks a ton of public exposure. In most cases its the kids that show that they aren't ready for the public scrutiny, but in some cases it’s the parent(s).

Honestly, if I was 17 and had every school and recruiting guru on the country wanting a piece of me, I'm pretty sure I'd make myself look like a dumba$$ too.

My thoughts...

Nov 1, 2012, 8:40 AM

I do not care if RN and his mom read Tigernet or not. Fact is that his mother seems ignorant and stubborn on the whole situation.

For he be so educated and to be a legislator in another country she seems very similar to some of the bitter ladies that work in my office.

She mentions the pressure on RN from the media...well...Mrs. N...why don't you stop doing interviews with the worthless shark named Michael Carvell at AJC, tell your son to also stop doing interviews. They can only present the new information you give to them.

Also, it is clear to me that his parents run his life and he is intimidated to make his own choices. He is becoming a young man and they cannot accept that he will making his own choices to chart his course in life very soon. He obviously wants to come to Clemson in his heart and felt the only way it could happen was to commit while his parents where not around to discourage him.

And Clemson being out of her way. She can travel half way across the dang world, but not less than 2 hrs up the road to try and understand your own son's position on his college choice.

I think the women is somewhat 'looney toons' about all this and will stop at nothing until RN signs with Ole Miss. Also, she must lack some integrity as a person if she does not believe that a verbal commitment means nothing at all.

Im pretty much peeved at the whole deal and wish it would end. I just cant wait until Denzel will be playing for the Lions in the NFL and RN will get drafted by the Texans and we will go thru this whole dang circus again. She'll force RN to not sign with the Texans so that he can get to Detroit.

Its a #### circus.

Again, I understand the anger and frustration. However, I

Nov 1, 2012, 8:47 AM

know how young people can be torn between decisions of their own and family members' wishes. I believe our staff will move sooner rather than later toward resolution; thus, I'm willing to remain patient and say nothing to aggravate the process further. Every Clemson fan has to make his own decision regarding comments, and my only suggestion was prudence.

LIke you...I do trust Dabo to...

Nov 1, 2012, 10:07 AM

get him here if that is what Robert truly wants. He'll probably get the same 'be your own man' speech that Spiller and Steward got.

Maybe those two can call RN with some encouragement. Of course, Dabo may never get the change to sit face to face with RN again...

We just don't know what the staff has been, are or will be

Nov 1, 2012, 10:21 AM

doing regarding his recruitment, and I believe there is a reason for that. Our staff has proven repeatedly to be quite adept in the process, which the more objective members of the media have acknowledged.

This is the way I look at it

Nov 1, 2012, 8:42 AM

If you the young man wants to come here he will. If he doesn't he won't. You see when someone really wants something it is very, very diffucult to talk them out of it. I have seem to bought into this "All In" philosophy. To be honest with you, I really don't care how "great" a player is. If his heart isn't at least 100% Clemson it needs to be somewhere else. I really hope Robert comes to Clemson, but if he doesn't It is going to be ok. If he wants to go play football with his brother at Ole Miss I can understand, and that wouldn't be a huge loss.

Meant to say ^^^^^

Nov 1, 2012, 8:44 AM

It wouldn't be as bad as losing him to someone we have to play or a team in our conference.

The important question each of us has to ask ourselves:

Nov 1, 2012, 11:25 AM [ in reply to This is the way I look at it ]

Did we, as teenagers, ever make important decisions that may have been contrary to a parent's wishes? I know that I certainly did when (without asking for advice) I applied for, accepted the terms of and received an Army ROTC Scholarship to attend Clemson...a decision I made at age 18. Although my Mother questioned the wisdom, considering the fact that the Vietnam conflict was ongoing, both parents supported the decision. To this day I remain proud of that decision and the fact that I made it myself.

Re: FOLKS, FOLKS, FOLKS, FOLKS....I BEG YOU

Nov 1, 2012, 9:14 AM

I hope he comes to Clemson but if he isn't 100% ALL IN then get out, plus ONE player isnt going to kill our team...Also, his absentee mom making such a stink about where he goes is ridiculous. His "FAMILY" is headed to Clemson with him. I take what she has to say about my school personally. She has zero reason not to like Clemson. And not wanting to visit where your SON has committed? great parenting absentee mom, come home for a few weeks and try to talk your son out of a decision he has made because it doesnt best suit you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Nov 1, 2012, 9:22 AM

Thanks for the TD. At least make an argument...geez.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Its all good bud

Nov 1, 2012, 9:31 AM

I gave you a thumbs up. your points mirror mine!

Anonymous08, make certain you and I are on the same

Nov 1, 2012, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Re: FOLKS, FOLKS, FOLKS, FOLKS....I BEG YOU ]

page: I didn't TD your post, for I believe everyone is entitled to his opinion. I am only trying to counsel patience and restraint from involving ourselves in another's family matters. I simply was not that put off by his Mother's comments because I believe she is visiting solely for the purpose of spending time with all her family, including Robert and his brother. We have to allow our staff the ability to recruit optimistically, while we offer words of encouragement to our staff and ALL of our recruits.

Re: Anonymous08, make certain you and I are on the same

Nov 1, 2012, 9:50 AM

I didnt think it was you, but thanks.

I understand your points, however(if the ajc is direct quoting), I feel that while she may be home to visit her family and spend time with them, why speak out about Clemson where you son wants to go and not visit there? Is a 2 hour drive really to much? and would that not be spending time with him and helping him make his biggest decision to date?

Her visit is more than likely time-constricted, and she has

Nov 1, 2012, 10:01 AM

chosen to spend that time with Robert and his brother, which I understand. I feel certain that our staff has developed methods for working with family members, and at this point we have to allow the ball to remain in their court. Yet, again, I understand and appreciate the frustrations and anger, which I'd rather direct toward the likes of the AJC and its stooge, Carvell.

Nov 1, 2012, 11:00 AM

If you folks think that the Ole Miss coaches and everyone else trying to get RN to go to their school aren't sending RN links to these threads where tigers and ranting negatively about him via e-mail, facebook and twitter, you're crazy.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

As mentioned, TigerNetters quite frequently provide links to

Nov 1, 2012, 12:14 PM

other schools' sites, and the same is true vice versa with this site...some of which is fodder for opponents. Although a recruit might not read it, someone somewhere will, then relay contents. That's what concerns me with the comments made against Robert's family members.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic