Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A bad call was made in the game last night that could
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

A bad call was made in the game last night that could

Jan 31, 2018, 1:04 PM

Have cost us the big win. See if you remember this ...... late in the game the Tigers were late getting a shot off and the 30 second shot expired. The shot was made late and did not hit the rim. That should have resulted in an out of bounds play for the tarheels. Instead they got possession of the late shot, drove down the court and scored a basket.
Anyone remember this? Perhaps I am wrong about the ruling but I believe that is correct. Just a few plays later in the game a late shot occurred and it WAS an out of bounds throw in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A bad call was made in the game last night that could

Jan 31, 2018, 1:18 PM

I saw it too but the "unbiased" announcers even said it was a shot clock violation but play was allowed to continue"as it should be." Not sure of that was opinion or substantiated by rule. But you are correct as unc drove straight down and scored without the need to inbound the ball.

I know very little about BB rules so not attempting expert opinion here, just an observation.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2018, 1:22 PM

I’m not sure of the ruling either but a very similar play occurred just a few possessions later and it was an out of bounds play. Maybe someone knows the ruling.

Is there a replay of this game available?

I don’t think it an out of bound play.***

Jan 31, 2018, 2:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Clemson got possession of the ball after the shot then

Jan 31, 2018, 2:23 PM

the heels would have to take possession of the ball with an out of bounds play.

Jan 31, 2018, 5:45 PM [ in reply to Re: A bad call was made in the game last night that could ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ams1egsVL5Q

Here's the replay. The rule is that the defense must have possession of the ball prior to the shot clock expiring in order to avoid the violation (and the resulting throw in).

The play being described in the thread occurred at the 3:25 mark of the FIRST half, and Luke Maye clearly had possession of the ball prior to the buzzer sounding (i.e. correct ruling on the floor). Rece Davis incorrectly named it a violation, as a violation does not occur unless the buzzer sounds (and the whistle is blown).

Jan 31, 2018, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: A bad call was made in the game last night that could ]

Play continued because UNCheat had Clear possession of the ball when the buzzer sounded.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2018, 1:31 PM

I think the rule book says play can continue if it gives UNC an advantage versus inbounding it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did Jay Bias mention this mistake ?

Jan 31, 2018, 1:37 PM

Oh right, that would have favored Clemson.

Re: Did Jay Bias mention this mistake ?

Jan 31, 2018, 1:53 PM

Oddly enough, nothing was said. He mentioned it was a shot clock violation but hesitated and play resumed with the Heels getting an easy basket. He had been critical of the officiating up to that point but let thisviolation slide. Fortunately, the Tigers play well enough to let these mistakes not affect them. Good coaching

This is a very tricky call by the officials...

Jan 31, 2018, 3:42 PM

There is no obligation to stop play if the defense has clear possession; I believe the officials are strongly encouraged to allow play to continue should that scenario develop. However, sometimes the officials do blow the whistle, in which case the defense takes possession. There's a lot to process for the officials in a split second, so I can understand an occasional inadvertent whistle.

Jan 31, 2018, 4:50 PM

I believe if the defense gets the ball in an air ball situation with the shot clock expired that it counts as a change of possession and there should be no stoppage in play.

If the offensive team was to get the ball in that situation it would be a violation and the ball is taken out of bounds.

Pretty sure it has to do with who possesses the ball after the expiration, if the ball is batted around, i.e. a loose ball, then that would also result in an out of bounds situation.

Jan 31, 2018, 5:37 PM

That explains it because that is exactly what happened.

Correct. It was the right call by the

Feb 1, 2018, 7:37 AM [ in reply to Re: A bad call was made in the game last night that could ]

Officials and the announcers were correct in the explanation.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic