Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This board has a sick obsession with comparing our program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,624

This board has a sick obsession with comparing our program

Nov 26, 2012, 12:38 AM

to our rival. We should be comparing and evaluating our team to the rest of the field. South Carolina is going to be good some years, and bad some years - let's judge our team on how we are improving compared to all 117 FBS schools instead of cherry-picking 1 single program for the comparison and evaluation of performance each year. It's just ludicrous. Are we a better team/program when South Carolina is terrible and we beat them? No! It just means they sucked. Then how does the reverse argument ring true?

It sucks to lose to our rivals, but we have to keep level heads, here. They have a top ten program, and we're not a top ten program *yet*. However, we're a top 15 program and building the right way. Let's junk our BMW because it's not up to par with our neighbor's Aston Martin.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess you don't live in SC***

Nov 26, 2012, 12:40 AM

Re: I guess you don't live in SC***

Nov 26, 2012, 12:43 AM

Born in Greenville, graduated and moved back to Greenville. It sucks to lose to your rival, but sinking the ship is not the answer. Fire our staff and enjoy losing 10 in a row to the coots.

Greenville, Dabolina?***

Nov 26, 2012, 7:17 AM

That is a real possibility right now. We're becoming the Ga.

Nov 26, 2012, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I guess you don't live in SC*** ]

Tech and Vanderbilt of S.C. relative to our rival.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Already are.***

Nov 26, 2012, 8:35 AM

We lost to the only two decent teams we played and

Nov 26, 2012, 12:53 AM

FSU showed they aren't all that strong.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We lost to the only two decent teams we played and

Nov 26, 2012, 2:56 AM

We are both currently ranked, at basically the end of the season in the Top 13% of all the FBS. So, if someone could guarantee that to happen every year, would you not accept that? Or guarantee a 10, or 11 win season every year?

We're both strong enough to ranked where we are...at this time of the season, the polls are not too far off, typically with a margin of error of 4 or 5 spots. Injuries, weather, sunspots, etc can affect the outcomes.

Look how many unranked and lower ranked teams beat higher ranked teams this past week. I counted 11 of the 25, dang close to half. So is anybody any good?

GO TIGERS!!!
:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We lost to the only two decent teams we played and

Nov 26, 2012, 2:32 PM

> We are both currently ranked, at basically the end of the season in the Top 13% of all the FBS. So, if someone could guarantee that to happen every year, would you not accept that? Or guarantee a 10, or 11 win season every year?

Couldn't agree more. As fans, we shouldn't be satisfied - but we also shouldn't be firing coaches. There is some middle ground to be had!

fsu is good,not great. usuc was only 50% against good teams.

Nov 26, 2012, 5:25 AM [ in reply to We lost to the only two decent teams we played and ]

usuc was 2-2 against legitimate teams. if they play uga today is the outcome the same? same way, if they play us again, i'm not convinced we wouldn't win. the acc,as a whole, does need to step it up.with that said, fsu and clemson have no reason to hang our heads.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Over the years I've always seen both schools' fans

Nov 26, 2012, 6:09 AM

comparing/contrasting each other's programs....It's sort of a contageous pasttime, which doesn't really cause much harm, I think. Regardless, I like to compare one Clemson team to the next progressively to see how we are faring against opponents. Kind of reminds me of a version of the old Ronald Reagan question: are we better off now than four years ago? And, my Friends, therein lies the rub!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This board has a sick obsession with comparing our program

Nov 26, 2012, 7:46 AM

You speak truth.

When Spurrier got to South Carolina, he saw all the "Beat Clemson" stuff in the offices, training rooms and weight rooms.

Spurrier told his guys to take all that crap down. According to Spurrier, South Carolina was more focused on Clemson than their own team and goals. He told them that it is fine to want to beat them but they are just another team on the schedule. Work on executing plays and improving as a team. He and his staff go out of their way to make sure they don't mention Clemson and Dabo Swinney by name unless it is Clemson/Carolina week.

Ironically, when he got the mental block of Clemson out of his players' heads, they started doing a lot better.

My point is that it may do Clemson and Dabo well to do the same.

This doesn't necessarily mean the board and the fans have to stop dogging the ##### 365, 24, 7...BUT it shouldn't really be the focus of the questions directed at Dabo or tweets by the players.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USC started winning because they satrted getting

Nov 26, 2012, 8:36 AM

better players, especially on both lines and on defense. On top of that they either got players with an attitude or instilled one in them relative to us.

Losing to Scar is a hidden gem. It brings more money and

Nov 26, 2012, 8:37 AM

pressure to win (which helps us against the other 117FBS)

Do you think we would be able to pay our O.C. $1.3M if it were not for losing 4 in a row?

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,624
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic