Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cat, Define 'Act of War.'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 417

Cat, Define 'Act of War.'

Jan 9, 2020, 8:54 AM

I need to know more about what defines an act of war, who will determine what an act of war is and what will be a practical reaction to a president's committing as act of war.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cat, Define 'Act of War.'

Jan 9, 2020, 9:13 AM

Let's do Wikipedia's. Cool?

"An Act of war is an action by one country against another with an intention to provoke a war or an action that occurs during a declared war or armed conflict between military forces of any origin."

One military shoots missiles at another military and kills a general. There ya go.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

So...

Jan 9, 2020, 9:17 AM

it's whatever anyone says it is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay, let's play it your way.

Jan 9, 2020, 9:21 AM

Tell me exactly how blowing up the highest ranking general of a foreign nation isn't an act of war.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

He was designated as a terrorist.

Jan 9, 2020, 9:46 AM

No one is arguing that he killed a lot of Americans, 600 is the number I'm seeing most often. He clearly had a hand in the attack on our embassy in Iraq. It's pretty common knowledge that he manages proxy wars against the US all across the middle east and...

"The U.S. designated the Quds Force a terrorist organization in 2007, with the Trump administration adding the IRGC to the list in 2019..."

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-barack-obama-designated-qassem-soleimani-terrorist-iran-did-nothing-1480771

Technically, the US could take out the Quds Force legally. No one disputes that Iran is the world's largest exporter of terrorism.

Re: He was designated as a terrorist.

Jan 9, 2020, 9:53 AM

You threw out a lot of data without explaining why it's not an act of war.

How is killing a terrorist an act of war?

Jan 9, 2020, 9:58 AM

I do not bear the burden of proof of anything here. You are making the outrageous statement that Trump committed an act of war. I presented proof that Soleimani is a legitimate target since he is a terrorist and the US has been at war with terrorist since 9/11.

Re: How is killing a terrorist an act of war?

Jan 9, 2020, 10:09 AM

I don't know how many times I can point out that he was a top ranking official for a foreign nation.

If any country for any reason killed one of our top generals in a missile attack, we would #### well call it an act of war. It doesn't matter that he was terrorist and he deserved it. We still murdered their top general. You're playing silly semantics.

Buuutttt OBAMA...

Jan 9, 2020, 10:47 AM

"Designated today pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224 for acting for or on behalf of the IRGC-QF were: Manssor Arbabsiar, a naturalized U.S. citizen holding both Iranian and U.S. passports who acted on behalf of the IRGC-QF to pursue the failed plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador; IRGC-QF commander Qasem Soleimani; Hamed Abdollahi, a senior IRGC-QF official who coordinated aspects of the plot and oversaw the other Qods Force officials directly responsible for coordinating and planning this operation; Abdul Reza Shahlai, an IRGC-QF official who coordinated this operation; and Ali Gholam Shakuri, an IRGC-QF official and deputy to Shahlai, who met with Arbabsiar on several occasions to discuss the assassination and other planned attacks.

https://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/pages/tg1320.aspx

He was an effin terrorist!

Re: Buuutttt OBAMA...

Jan 9, 2020, 10:55 AM

pretty easy to call Obama a terrorist under those terms. Had Iran taken him out, would that have been an act of war?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cat, Define 'Act of War.'

Jan 9, 2020, 9:20 AM

According to most Trumpsters the simple fact that Iranians hate Americans is enough to destroy them....

Cause we’re Merica by god and nobody messes with us or Jesus.

#whatwouldtrumpdo

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's been times I wish

Jan 9, 2020, 10:56 AM

An 'act of war' had been carried out against Adolph Hitler. Circa '36 would have been nice. But...well, Neville had other thoughts. When you see what you want to see, 'stuff' happens. Playing nice isn't all it's cracked up to be...because, that's the 'other guy's strategy' all along...prey on your civility and decency. Worked out for ol' Adolph...at the expense of a lot relatives...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m answering since I have Cat in my name too.

Jan 9, 2020, 12:53 PM

Forget the formal definition, it’s ambiguous at best. We just picked off a terrorist regimes #1 terrorist threat on foreign soil. Since we didn’t violate Iran’s “national sovereignty” by encroaching directly on Iranian soil, this cannot be an act of war. This was a hit on a high value target at the top of our terrorist list, as well as the UN’s. And how many nations does the UN represent? Pearl Harbor: Act of War. Salami: Not an act of war (although the media will spin it as if it was because it’s another opportunity for anti-Trump headlines).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m answering since I have Cat in my name too.

Jan 9, 2020, 9:16 PM

MemphisCat said:

Forget the formal definition, it’s ambiguous at best. We just picked off a terrorist regimes #1 terrorist threat on foreign soil. Since we didn’t violate Iran’s “national sovereignty” by encroaching directly on Iranian soil, this cannot be an act of war. This was a hit on a high value target at the top of our terrorist list, as well as the UN’s. And how many nations does the UN represent? Pearl Harbor: Act of War. Salami: Not an act of war (although the media will spin it as if it was because it’s another opportunity for anti-Trump headlines).

I agree with your reasoning except on only one point. He wasn't just any terrorist but the highest ranking General of Iran. Clearly he was a bad guy and appeared to be the person in charge of directing Iran's support of terrorist organizations around the world.

The hard part of me is that Iran's whole perspective seems to be religious. You can't beat religion when people are willing to die for it.

We need to, in my view, protect Israel and leave the rest of the middle east to fend for themselves.
It's a shame we have so many maimed and killed in Iraq. Why? What have we gained from it. They had nothing to do with 9/11 yet we're still there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2020, 9:45 PM

Israel is in the final stages of developing a laser anti-missile defense system. Imo, we should take out Iran's military communication, nuclear facilities and target their military installations along with a few strikes to let the leaders know we have no problem sending them to meet their 72 virgins.

Then we should withdraw all ground forces and let Israel, our military intelligence and CIA handle the ground work. When I say all forces I mean all but Saudi bases but I would end our occupation of Syria too.

I care about the kurd about as much as I care about the turks, iranian, iraqi, jordanians, I care about them about as much as they care about me. I'm tired of kissing asz and getting a mouthful of sand.

Jan 9, 2020, 10:25 PM

I'm always amazed at how christians so eagerly embrace war.

It truly baffles me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Religion...or cancer

Jan 10, 2020, 8:16 AM

Pick your poison.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 417
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic