Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The reason it's stupid to change the name of Tillman Hall...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,105

The reason it's stupid to change the name of Tillman Hall...

Jul 18, 2015, 12:43 AM

Easy. To do so would be hypocritical and arbitrary. Only people with a failing sense of self-awareness would go down that path. The following isn't really debatable...
Nearly every historical figure on Earth would be thoroughly demonized if his/her views were carted out in front of a modern audience to judge thoroughly.

So, knowing that deep down, certain interest groups, twitter clowns and media outlets simply choose "low hanging fruit" like a confederate flag, for ulterior motives. What ulterior motives? Usually to draw positive attention to themselves (or their organization) or make themselves feel like they are doing something good. Then, ignorant people with a tiny shred of understanding of history want to join in on the bandwagon, and once the self-absorbed faux-justice martyrs call attention to something, the hordes of normal slacktivists want to get a piece of the "I've done something good today" pie. It's sad really.

Look at the Spartans, or the Athenians, who literally threw retarded babies off of cliffs, enslaved people, had socially acceptable sex with boys in puberty and any number of other things that would be considered morally outrageous. Yet the ancient Greeks are looked on in a generally positive way. Why, simply because of hypocrisy. Where is the outrage? If mistreating people, or violence against the innocent, or racism, or slavery were REALLY the issue, then people would do more to alter how revered Ancient Greek Culture is. But that doesn't happen. Why? Because it was just longer ago? As if morals only existed since the steam engine?

Look at the American Flag. It was the symbol of Manifest Destiny. It was the banner of scrubbing the Earth of barbarian savages from the Western frontier. It was there during wounded knee, and it was there during the trail of tears. It was there during the importation of slaves from Africa, long before the Southern half of the country ever thought about breaking away. Yet there is no real cry to have it changed. Why? Because of hypocrisy. It's not a low-hanging fruit. It's not the path of least resistance for the attention-wh*ring PC crowd who wants everyone to know how socially acceptable they are.

So idiots, who don't want facts or logic to keep them from wrapping themselves in the cloth of moral superiority, will brush off the obvious inconsistencies encountered when morally judging historical figures/flags by using intellectually bankrupt excuses like "Well that happened a long time ago" or "I don't really know much about that" or "That didn't happen in this country" or "Well that was bad too, but not as bad as ______" as if any of those excuses actually mean anything.

I maintain that people who want the flag removed or the names of buildings changed are totally unaware as to why they are doing it. Considering there is no actual rational basis for it, as any argument for removing flags or changing names can be easily exposed to be hypocritical. Instead, the reason people want these flags to come down is because of a part of human nature that makes people desperate to feel important and to feel good about themselves. No matter if it's something irrational.

Some people use Christianity to have a false sense of superiority. Some people use wealth, others use technical knowledge, others use the number of friends they have, still others use political correctness. The last being the dumbest of all in my opinion.

Changing the name of Tillman Hall It doesn't fix or improve anything. It doesn't actually make anyone less oppressed. It doesn't actually make anyone less racist. It doesn't make anyone safer, or gentler or smarter. It's all a big fat waste of effort and focus. It doesn't educate anyone, it doesn't lead to a shared understanding. It's only about posturing. Either for political reasons, or pathetic social reasons. People are participating in merely showing off how out of touch they are with their own behavior.

If the best excuse to change the name is "We need to move on and heal together" can anyone tell me what exactly that sh*t actually means? It sounds like just a bunch of words that are carefully selected to say something without saying anything. The only reason meaningless statements like that exist is because people are awkwardly trying to find a legitimate reason to do something with no actual legitimacy. In closing, I'm not against changing the name of Tillman Hall because I care about Tillman. I'm against changing Tillman Hall because I realize that it's a victory for stupidity and self-ignorance.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NOTHING hypocritical or arbitrary about it. Tillman was a

Jul 18, 2015, 1:00 AM

Cold-blooded killer and a political terrorist. An absolute piece of garbage. Old Main being renamed in his honor in the 1940s was an absolute middle finger to a huge percentage South Carolinians.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NOTHING hypocritical or arbitrary about it. Ti

Jul 18, 2015, 10:13 AM

You completely missed the point apparently. You are only outraged about a certain small portion of vicious murderers. You are completely fine with most of them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gosh, you seem to have the answers to everything.***

Jul 18, 2015, 1:17 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's just name it "We Too Deep" and really tick off all the

Jul 18, 2015, 10:11 AM

Coots instead of just one Bubba type Neanderthal defensive player! I am thinking Bubba from the Gump movie! ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Let it go, it's finished. The BOT has already announced...

Jul 18, 2015, 10:22 AM

they are ridding Clemson of the name of Ben Tillman forever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very good points you make. But just from a Clemson point

Jul 18, 2015, 10:28 AM

of view, changing the name would help Clemson's image as far as being an attractive place to go to school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,105
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic