Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The only reason to keep Brownell is the buyout, if
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,197

The only reason to keep Brownell is the buyout, if

Feb 18, 2017, 2:49 PM

that's the argument to keep him, then I get it. Absolutely no other reason he stays at Clemson. If he stays and fails again next year, the excuse will be losing JB, the same way it was when we lost KJ.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even that is a lame excuse if we don't make the dance.

Feb 18, 2017, 3:00 PM

Can they really justify running the basketball program completely into the ground and doing damage that will take even longer to overcome, all over 3.5 million? After investing 64 million in a new arena, that's a drop in the bucket when you consider what's at stake. Keeping Brownell under such circumstances would further strengthen the perception to recruits that basketball does not matter at Clemson, and guarantee years of continued frustration. It would be sheer lunacy, in my opinion, and folks responsible for such a decision should be subjected to a mandatory, thorough mental evaluation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Even that is a lame excuse if we don't make the dance.

Feb 18, 2017, 3:19 PM

After you spent 64 million, the cupboard has got to be a little light. So I'm guessing 31/2 million does make a difference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That 3.5 has to be weighed against the revenue that will be

Feb 18, 2017, 3:55 PM

lost due to yet another year of struggle and frustration. The long-term damage to the program would likely be much, much greater by strengthening the perception that Clemson basketball is bad.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

The buyout is a horrible reason to keep him.

Feb 18, 2017, 3:56 PM

We can afford it, no problem. We keep a fund in place for things like that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The buyout situation won't get better with time.

Feb 18, 2017, 8:08 PM

Even if Brownell stays next year, the buyout would be $3 million at the end of the season...as it will be for the life of his contract. So really, if the buyout is the reason we kept him, we would've made that decision over $500K. That's a ton of money to me and to most folks, but to an athletic department as successful and well funded as ours, that's nothing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, the buyout isn't a big deal.

Feb 18, 2017, 8:02 PM

Clemson sports is loaded. What we need is the right coach. Until we find a perfect fit we ought to suffer through the mistake of hiring BB.

I don't expect to find another Dabo but that should be the standard. Best is the standard and we are Clemson, we don't have to settle for next to best.

I hope the AD takes his time and does his search patiently not with haste but without error.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,197
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic