Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hand Grenade Training
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Hand Grenade Training

Jun 7, 2017, 8:43 PM

A live hand grenade is not a toy. It's not something you want to toss around in your back yard to impress the neighbors. Those ridges on a grenade may remind someone of a turtle's back but they can inflict indescribable damage to a human body.

Due to some unknown fact, there were several of us in our company who had not received the proper training in removal of the pin, making the necessary count and demonstrating our skill in tossing the grenade at a specified target during pour WW2 basic training. It was just a short time before our departure for foreign service that several of our company members and I were summoned to the Orderly Room and informed of our deficiency in hand grenade training. We were further informed that the lack of proper training would in no way prevent us from going on our scheduled cruise to either the European or Pacific Theater. Some efficiency expert had already made arrangements for our visit to the Hand Grenade Training Facility.

When we arrived at the facility we were greeted by several NCOs and a Colonel who presented a lecture and demonstration on the proper use and handling of the Official US Army Hand Grenade, a simple explosive device designed to inflict extreme harm on those in close proximity to the blast. We were also informed that we would be using the real thing, but not with a full charge.

Several of the guys took their turn then I found myself next in line. One of the NCO's handed me a grenade. I pulled the pin and started counting but before I made the full count I made one of the most beautiful tosses known to mankind. Unfortunately, my count was too short. Fortunately, the Colonel was good sport and instead of chewing me out, he told me if I had thrown it at an enemy he would have had time to throw it back. Since the Colonel seemed to be a good sport I told him how would the enemy know what the count was when I threw the grenade. We both had a good a good laugh and then I was handed another grenade. This time I threw it on the proper count and I got a passing grade.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sounds like a rush...

Jun 7, 2017, 8:50 PM

salute.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hand Grenade Training

Jun 7, 2017, 8:54 PM

You already have my attention at "A live hand grenade is not a toy" haha

Ok back to read the rest of this story

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you ever get the chance to toss a potato masher?***

Jun 7, 2017, 8:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Did you ever get the chance to toss a potato masher?***

Jun 7, 2017, 9:26 PM

I did,but my wife went into the garbage and got it back,since it's her favorite way to serve spuds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Your wife serves Spud? Mrs. Spud won't

Jun 8, 2017, 8:38 AM

like that at all.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mrs. Spud won't even like this thread if she reads it..which

Jun 8, 2017, 11:21 AM

she won't.....what happens on tnet stays on tnet.......

The night before we left Firebase Warrior

Jun 8, 2017, 7:16 AM

we were handed a couple of cases of hand grenades, baseball type, not pineapple and told to get rid of them since we were shutting Warrior down,. All through the night we heaved the grenades over the berm line aiming for a 500 lb bomb crater near the perimeter, calling in to notify HQ what sector we were, then shouting "fire in the hole" and letting go. Even now, 47 years later, I occasionally cringe to think what might have happened if someone had botched just one throw out of so many. It never happened though, so...Go Tigers!!

Jun 8, 2017, 7:33 AM

Way to go Joe! ????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is an awesome story, Joe

Jun 8, 2017, 7:39 AM

I really hope you didn't have to many voicemails on your phone when you returned from fighting in WW2.

We all know how much of a pain that can be.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2017, 8:37 AM

Wow they made you cook the grenade before you threw it?

I had a death grip on my spoon when I had to throw the live grenades at Benning. I couldn't imagine the nerves if I had to cook it off for a few seconds before throwing it.

In fact cooking the grenade these days would lead to being roughed by an NCO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

I saw one guy get his ### body slammed behind the grenade

Jun 8, 2017, 12:13 PM

tossing area, that area with sandbags and concrete to protect idiots like this fella. He was already shaking like a leaf, pulled the pin and tossed it (the pin, not the grenade) and then dropped the grenade at his feet. The DS picked him up and slammed him behind those sandbags and concrete and laid on top of him. Then, about 10 drill instructors commenced a beat down on that guy that I will never forget...If I remember correctly, we had to come back the next day to finish everyone qualifying.

What a dumb ####. How hurt was he from the beating?*****

Jun 8, 2017, 12:32 PM

I don't think he was hurt physically, but I bet he throws

Jun 8, 2017, 12:51 PM

the grenade the next time (if there is a next time, that may be cycle out not recycle material haha). He was crying like a baby, which I can understand he just about killed two "friendlies" including himself.

One important omission from my grenade training was

Jun 8, 2017, 8:50 AM

in the part where they demonstrate tossing it into an open door while leaning against the wall of the building to use it for protection. After doing that in Nam, I realized ( just a little too late) that the grass wall of the hut was no protection compared to a thick wooden or brick one. My better- late -than-never realization came in enough time that I was able to dive behind something more substantial. Otherwise, I would have fragged myself

I think standard practice today is cook a nade being tossed

Jun 8, 2017, 12:09 PM

into a bunker or otherwise constrained place, but get rid of that bish as fast as possible otherwise. I doubt anyone is going to pickup and throw one back. Oh yeah, and swipe those bunkers for screens...it wouldn't be good to toss that grenade into a screen and back out to your feet...you just cooked it for a 3 - 4 count.

Re: I think standard practice today is cook a nade being tossed

Jun 8, 2017, 12:30 PM

One of the MOH guys from Afghanistan I think blew off his hand trying to throw a grenade back.

Hard to imagine it's an effective strategy. Those 5 seconds go by quick.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

I'm gonna be the arsehole....

Jun 8, 2017, 12:34 PM

Joe, I enjoy the stories, but I'm going to be 110% honest. I have a hard time believing a 95 year old can internet this well....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

You're wrong.

Jun 8, 2017, 12:43 PM

A couple of things. I know people that know Joe and met him in person. I have seen plenty of pics of Joe. Secondly, my Grandpa is 1 year younger than Joe and is exactly the same. Finally, I have been a pen pal off and on for years with Joe since the cutigers.com days. He is the real deal.

How am I wrong?***

Jun 8, 2017, 12:44 PM

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were doubting his age

Jun 8, 2017, 12:47 PM

and honesty. You just were saying you were impressed. I took it too literally.

This is the internet, so it's prudent to question things

Jun 8, 2017, 12:53 PM

that seem vastly different from the norm (like a 95 year old who internets like a 25 year old).

Obviously it's not impossible, just highly out of the ordinary.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

My 94 Grandfather is exactly the same if not more in tune.

Jun 8, 2017, 1:02 PM

Of course he as a scientist at JPL and still loves basic technology. I get things daily from my grandfather on the internet, as do tuns of other relatives and friends. It's not that odd. Some people don't lose their mind. Joe's wife was in assisted living and didn't know who he was well before her death. Joe still drives. My grandma who died last year didn't know who my grandfather was for the last 5 years of her life and she lived until 99. My grandfather still drives and lives at home alone at 94. He is on the internet daily. He just got back from a cruise all by himself to the Panama Canal. He is going by himself to Vienna Austria this summer. I had an Uncle George who lived to 103 who was the same in his 90's. It's just genetics. Not all old people get clueless. Moreover, the internet is pretty basic. He is just typing out a story.

Exceptions....not the rule. The story you just told was

Jun 8, 2017, 1:05 PM

50/50 and Joe and your grandpa are 100% exceptions to the rule...

I have seen it before in old people.

Jun 8, 2017, 1:13 PM

I have relatives in their 80's too that are the same. A lot of old people love the internet. It's not like Joe is designing webpages or something. He is basically typing a story as people did on a typewriter. I agree that Joe and my Gpa are not the norm though, because most people don't even live that long.

It will most likely be the norm when (if) we're in our 90's

Jun 8, 2017, 1:17 PM

because we would have had internet for a huge chunk of our lives. People in their 90's these days like Joe and your grandfather would have had to learn the skill when they were in their 70's.

I'm a younger guy that works in the technology field

Jun 8, 2017, 1:20 PM [ in reply to I have seen it before in old people. ]

and knows/works with a LOT of older people.

I can't name a single one over the age of 70 that can internet as well as Joe. And the majority of them are very smart and highly successful people.

It's an abnormality which led me to question it's authenticity.

You consider turning on a computer and typing something..

Jun 8, 2017, 1:26 PM

special. I know dozens of people over 70 and I can't think one that doesn't know how to do what Joe does. Heck my Mom is 73 and she is all over Facebook and talking away with all of her friends. I don't even consider her old. My step Dad is 82 and doing the same, posting pictures etc etc. All of my Mom's friends are on it too. It's not like they become morons on how to use Google, Kayak, etc etc etc. Just about everyone knows how to use the internet now a days. It's about as simple as it gets to use Tigernet, Google, Kayak, Yahoo, etc etc. I think you are underestimating what senior citizens can do.

Nah, you're right. I just work with people for a living, but

Jun 8, 2017, 1:28 PM

I have no idea how to assess their technical aptitude...

Do you work in a retirment home or something?*****

Jun 8, 2017, 1:31 PM

No.***

Everyoneis different.

Jun 8, 2017, 1:38 PM

As I told you my Mom is in her 70's and she is all over this stuff. She just bought an Iphone and went to the Apple store and took a class to use her phone properly. I am in my mid 40's and I won't buy an Iphone because it seems too complicated. Anyway, I don't find typing on the internet complicated and I am about as technically challenged as anyone in the nation that has electricity. ANyway, Joe is the real deal. We can agree to disagree how complicated it is for senior citizens to post on Tigernet. Have a good one.

And my MIL is 70 and my FIL is 75 and I get a call at least

Jun 8, 2017, 1:48 PM

once a week from them needing help with something incredibly simple.

Keep in mind that these are two highly intelligent, highly successful people that are still in their "right mind".

I also saw you mentioned regional differences below and that could very well be an indicator.

I am in my mid 40's and I call people for simple..

Jun 8, 2017, 2:49 PM

things. Some of us just suck at tech stuff. All I can do is turn on my tv and go on the internet. If I had to connect maybe a wireless printer to my laptop I would have no clue. Like I said, that's why I don't buy an Iphone. I don't even know how to use a Mac computer. My Mom can do all that though. My Grandpa can too. I agree with you though, many older people can't do those things either. I am just saying it isn't that crazy for someone who is older to type a story to Tnet. Then again, I have seen Joe typing his stories on the internet for maybe 15 years. I am pretty sure he wrote a book too by the way. Anyway, I see your points too to an extent. I am just biased from others I know I guess.

Must be your family. I know MAYBE 3-4 people over 75

Jun 8, 2017, 1:38 PM [ in reply to You consider turning on a computer and typing something.. ]

that use the internet at all.

Maybe it's a regional thing. Most of my relatives live in

Jun 8, 2017, 1:40 PM

California. Everyone of all ages use it there. Life would be complicated without it.

Could be***

Jun 8, 2017, 1:43 PM

A couple of jerks gave thumbs down. Why?

Jun 8, 2017, 12:35 PM

What is wrong with Joe's post?

Can't say i blame you. If there's one time in life when it's

100% sure to be a little premature, it's the first time throwing a live hand grenade.

Sounds like you still did better than me on my first

Jun 8, 2017, 1:34 PM

attempt...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Thought this was going to be about Tommy Bowden.***

Jun 8, 2017, 1:43 PM

null

I always wanted to throw a handgrenade

Jun 8, 2017, 3:35 PM

at my neighbor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic