Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The logical fallacy of chalking it up to "mental errors,"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

The logical fallacy of chalking it up to "mental errors,"

Jan 9, 2019, 9:05 AM

It's a pretty common mistake to assume that an offense isn't "all that" simply b/c the D made some errors. But think about it, if a brilliant professional thief breaks in easily b/c you left the door unlocked, does it mean the thief is no smarter than a common thug? If a top-notch hacker gets into your account in a split second b/c your password is "password," does that mean he's not a great hacker? How does Quennin Williams know Clemson wouldn't have still plowed down field even without Alabama's mental mistakes?

Also, this ignores the issue of forced errors. It's not like Alabama was just slummin' all night long. They got pushed into a lot of forced errors b/c they were on their heels so much, and b/c the Clemson OL came to play and put a ton pressure on the Bama secondary to play error-free for all that time Trevor was standing back there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The logical fallacy of chalking it up to "mental errors,"

Jan 9, 2019, 9:12 AM

So Williams is saying that in the biggest game, on the biggest stage, they didn’t take Clemson seriously and prepared poorly. Sorta like we did against the Coots.
Well I understand how we can take the Coots litely but not Bama taking us little in the Natty. We won by 28. Com’on man you got your butt kicked.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You could try to argue that we lost the 2015 CFP

Jan 9, 2019, 9:20 AM

title game to Bama due to "mental errors." In reality it was just good coaching by Bama.

Saban knew that trick onside kick could work because he had identified a weakness in our coverage prior to the game. The players still had to execute the play properly, but it wasn't just a fluke or a mental error by Clemson that led to that play.

Was the kickoff return for a TD a mental error? We struggled defending kickoffs for much of that season and Alabama was very good at returning them. That's not a mental error.

And the big plays to OJ Howard? They were "mistakes," but they were mistakes that were made much more likely by the aggressive and risky nature of Venable's defense and some really nice play calling by Kiffin (who did a great job in that game). Also having a TE that could run like a 4.4 certainly helped.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, but not as I usually comment...

Jan 9, 2019, 9:21 AM

I'm not taking the long way around the block on this.

We evaluated the exact keys Tua used to select his receiver in any of our defensive schemes. Bama studies us the same way with the exact evaluation. The difference is that when our defense set the man Tua watched moved in a way to misdirect Tua. We gave him the read knowing what he'd do. Bama's defense was always predictable. It worked all year, why not now?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic