Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The "Opportunity Cost" of a Chad Kelly, Mike Bellamy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 3,870

The "Opportunity Cost" of a Chad Kelly, Mike Bellamy

Dec 22, 2014, 9:36 AM

has really hurt us. When Mike Bellamy was shown the door, not only did it hurt our depth chart for a few years, but I cant help and think of recruits that we backed off of for nothing. If I remember correctly, that class had Gurley & Marshall in it, correct? Marshall would be an All American if we had just signed him vs Bellamy.

Currently, we are razor thin at QB for the same reason. its a shame

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

A shame? Why? Clemson did the right thing and I am

Dec 22, 2014, 9:41 AM

thankful for that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think he meant

Dec 22, 2014, 10:03 AM

"that's a shame" as in "I wish we hadn't kicked them off", but rather "I wish they had gotten their act together and not done he things they did to get kicked off".

It's a shame both, for them and for us, that they couldn't grow up and keep their noses clean.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think he meant

Dec 22, 2014, 1:38 PM

Yes, I didn't feel the OP was complaining about Dabo inviting Kelly to leave.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm fine with it.***

Dec 22, 2014, 9:46 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Bellamy had nothing to do with missing on Gurley and

Dec 22, 2014, 9:46 AM

Marshall. First, he was a year ahead of them. Second, he was on his way out by the time they made their decisions (still on the roster, but not much of a threat base on his lack of production)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Marshall was a Tiger when he went to bed on the

Dec 22, 2014, 9:50 AM

night before signing day. He woke up the next morning, had a change of heart and was a Bulldog. We were in it right up until the last minute with him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Marshall was a Tiger when he went to bed on the

Dec 22, 2014, 11:14 AM

Yea we had him and Gurley leaning to us...Still don't get how that changed that quickly...Fckn GA

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

You think some money might have showed up at this door the

Dec 22, 2014, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Marshall was a Tiger when he went to bed on the ]

morning Marshall woke up?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Marshall was a Tiger when he went to bed on the

Dec 22, 2014, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Marshall was a Tiger when he went to bed on the ]

I had a talk with a UGA fan in Columbus, GA about 2mths ago about Keith Marshall. He claims to have talked with him about if he regret his decision to come to UGA over Clemson and he said "Keith's mouth said 'no' but I could tell by his body language that with Chubb and Sony playing the way they are that he did". He went on to say that the whole Gurshall thing from the 1st season is probably why he didn't want to say yes...instead he blamed it on nagging injuries.

I have no doubt that Marshall wishes he choose Clemson over UGA but hindsight is always 20/20

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Not much of a threat based on his lack of production?"

Dec 22, 2014, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Bellamy had nothing to do with missing on Gurley and ]

That's not true at all. Bellamy had 343 yards in 2011, which was second on the team. He also averaged 6 yards per carry. All he really had to do to lock up a starting job by 2013 was stay on the team, because McDowell only had 63 yards on 14 carries in the year Bellamy was here. That means McDowell's carries decreased from 2010, when he had 32 carries. So, clearly, Bellamy was producing and was expected to produce in the future.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Not much of a threat based on his lack of production?"

Dec 22, 2014, 11:40 AM

> That's not true at all. Bellamy had 343 yards in
> 2011, which was second on the team. He also averaged
> 6 yards per carry. All he really had to do to lock up
> a starting job by 2013 was stay on the team, because
> McDowell only had 63 yards on 14 carries in the year
> Bellamy was here. That means McDowell's carries
> decreased from 2010, when he had 32 carries. So,
> clearly, Bellamy was producing and was expected to
> produce in the future.

What were the stats/percentages on dropped passes for Butterfingers Bellamy? You forgot to add that in.

Gurley and Marshall seem to be injury prone, but I see your

Dec 22, 2014, 9:48 AM

point. Kelly is giving his dreams away by being stupid. Really unfortunate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gurley and Marshall seem to be injury prone, but I see your

Dec 22, 2014, 11:39 AM

> point. Kelly is giving his dreams away by being
> stupid. Really unfortunate.

Stereotypical Northern male behavior.......

Re: Gurley and Marshall seem to be injury prone, but I see your

Dec 22, 2014, 2:47 PM

> Stereotypical Northern male behavior.......

Yeah, like John William Heisman and Thomas Green Clemson.

Every now and again (well, pretty much all the time), a Yankee does okay by us in our "glorious" state. . . .

True, but kids aren't finished products

...coming out of HS. I think our coaches do a pretty good job of weeding the bad ones out in favor of the good. Every once in a while a recruit exercises his "free-will" and makes a bad decision.

Clemson made the right decision by dismissing both players.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's true, but that's the nature of the sport.

The coaches have to recruit the best in the country. I have no doubt that our coaches assess character to the best of their abilities but I also have no doubt that Dabo looks at a kid with an attitude and determines if he can mold it into something productive or if it will end up being a detriment to his team. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong. When he's wrong, all evidence points to him making the right decision in dealing with it. More often than not, he's right. Really can't ask for more than that.

null

Gurley was a year after Bellamy...

Dec 22, 2014, 11:54 AM

And we kicked off Bellamy while still recruiting Gurley. Get your facts straight.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, the point is that its a shame for all involved

Dec 22, 2014, 2:51 PM

its a shame for the kids because they make stupid mistakes they wish they had back, especially being on scholarship. Its a shame we couldn't go after other players and now have a hole in our depth chart. Nothing anyone can do about it, but I wish we had Gurley or Marshall :)

Best Is The Standard

Understand your point, and on its face it is correct however

Dec 22, 2014, 8:03 PM

doing the right thing is always right. I admire Dabo for his integrity.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we had sign Gurley the 2012 team would have been sick

Dec 22, 2014, 10:22 PM

That would have been maybe the greatest collection of offensive skill talent in NCAA history:

QB: Boyd
RB: Gurley, Ellington
WR: Nuk, Sammy, Martavis, J. Brown

That's a NFL Pro Bowl team.

Replies: 20
| visibility 3,870
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic