Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Onside Kick to end the game... subtle jab at Saban?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

The Onside Kick to end the game... subtle jab at Saban?

Jan 12, 2017, 9:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Onside Kick to end the game... subtle jab at Saban?

Jan 12, 2017, 9:45 AM

Yes. It was genius for them last year. Us this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. Running the play that was least likely to result

Jan 12, 2017, 9:46 AM

in an Alabama TD...it's that simple.

Re: No. Running the play that was least likely to result

Jan 12, 2017, 9:48 AM

Only problem with that way of thinking is, if Alabama had recovered the ball with the Alabama player on the ground, by rule, no time would have run off the clock and they would have had one chance at a Hail Mary. I'm not complaining just stating the facts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No. Running the play that was least likely to result

Jan 12, 2017, 9:53 AM

Or what if bounced up in the air and a Bama player caught it on the fly.
Then ran it back to the house?

Well, you don't want the kicker to pop the ball in the air.

Jan 12, 2017, 9:58 AM

That is done on purpose by the kicker. As long as the kicker has any sort of competence at all, he can kick it along the ground with no problem.

Do you realize how difficult that would have been for

Jan 12, 2017, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: No. Running the play that was least likely to result ]

an Alabama player to do, with a gaggle of Clemson players surrounding the ball?

One thing to remember about on-sides kicks is that

Jan 12, 2017, 10:27 AM

the ball does not have to go 10 yards before the receiving team touches or fields it. It must go at least 10 yards before the kicking team can touch/field it.

Heugel kicked it 10 yards, one foot. Alabama could have made a play on it before it reached the 45 yard line.

And he would have been tackled so, so quickly.

Jan 12, 2017, 10:33 AM

It looked to me like it was possible that Alabama didn't really want to touch the ball, like they were waiting for Clemson to touch it. Whether on purpose, or just dumb luck, that was actually their best play, to hope Clemson got the illegal touch.

Correct.....and that was a little too close for comport for

Jan 12, 2017, 10:52 AM [ in reply to One thing to remember about on-sides kicks is that ]

me. I doubt that Heugel could make that same kick one out of ten times. I actually thought it was pretty risky. I think I would have preferred the high pooch kick that would have either been fair caught at about the 30 or the player attempting to run it back with all of our players right on top of him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really? Why not kick it out of bounds and give it @35?

Jan 12, 2017, 9:48 AM [ in reply to No. Running the play that was least likely to result ]

Recovering an onside isn't guaranteed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson didn't need to recover it.

Jan 12, 2017, 9:56 AM

That wasn't the point, really. All they needed was one second to tick off, which would have happened if Bama had recovered it. And 8 Clemson player would have been right on top of the player.

It wasn't an "onside kick" in that Clemson needed to get the ball back. It was a more extreme version of a pooch kick. Instead of kicking it 25 yds on the ground down the field, why not just kick it 10 and have 8 Clemson players right on top of the ball?

If a Bama player dove on the ball on the ground, no time

Jan 12, 2017, 10:04 AM

would have run off the clock. I'm not debating what would be the better call, I'm stating that I think Dabo was giving Saban a little payback for last year's call... nothing more.

Would have been all but impossible for a Bama player to do.***

Jan 12, 2017, 10:06 AM

The one second matters a lot. I think if there were 2 secs

Jan 12, 2017, 10:09 AM [ in reply to If a Bama player dove on the ball on the ground, no time ]

on the clock, Dabo very likely would have done a normal "pooch kick" on the ground, down the field.

Re: Really? Why not kick it out of bounds and give it @35?

Jan 12, 2017, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Really? Why not kick it out of bounds and give it @35? ]

I thought that too would have been a good idea!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's kind of you to defend our coach and his decision.

Jan 12, 2017, 10:37 AM [ in reply to No. Running the play that was least likely to result ]

I appreciate that and thank you though I think I could defend it being having a two fold purpose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know about "defend"...

Jan 12, 2017, 10:42 AM

Because I don't really see anyone that thinks it was anything less than an awesome playcall. But I do appreciate the call very much, and think it should be in the official Coaches' Handbook. (if there were such a thing)

Also, I picture the coaches telling the players...if you touch that ball before it goes 10 yds, you are DONE. DONE. :)

So...Great call, even with the inherent risks...? Gotcha....***

Jan 12, 2017, 10:45 AM

Nah just the perfect call in that sitcheashun***

Jan 12, 2017, 9:46 AM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Yea, ...and subtle. It was the last spank.***

Jan 12, 2017, 9:50 AM

Never seen an onside kick executed to such perfection***

Jan 12, 2017, 9:51 AM

I remember hearing that last year, too... Thus....***

Jan 12, 2017, 9:53 AM

Jan 12, 2017, 9:55 AM

If Alabama recovered it, it would of took the last tick off the clock... but when offense recovers it takes nothing and the play is blown dead

I think SO.

Jan 12, 2017, 10:35 AM

Remember, a USuCk receiver ran an illegal route due to stepping out of bounds while the official wasn't looking. It may have been a situation where the corner put a hand on the WR and the WR appeared to be pushed out. Our corner didn't think he needed to continue his coverage and the pass went to him for a TD.

Dabo pulled the exact same trick on SOS the following year. '...served up cold.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2017, 10:35 AM

I think the most likely scenario was that we would either catch them off guard and get it back (which is what happened) or the ball would bounce around for :01 and game would be over.

Nightmare scenario would be Bama getting the ball and launching one into the Endzone... but luckily we didnt have to live through that.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic