Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just found out from my mom the Marine who Obama forgot to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 3,334

Just found out from my mom the Marine who Obama forgot to

May 25, 2013, 10:17 PM

salute Friday before boarding Marine 1 is my cousin. He's assigned to Marine 1 as a crew member.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just found out from my mom the Marine who Obama forgot to

May 25, 2013, 10:28 PM

Im no obammer lover but as the prez he doesnt have to salute anyone but out of respect you should.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats right. The president has typically saluted for sake of

May 25, 2013, 10:39 PM

tradition. While he is commander in chief he's not required to salute, though. The military must salute the president of course. In fact, Obama didn't even have to get back off the helicopter and speak to Kyle but he did. So that's cool.

and he can bow to whomever he wants to too.***

May 25, 2013, 11:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Just found out from my mom the Marine who Obama forgot to ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Just like every other President

May 26, 2013, 3:02 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jocQgIBjPzc

But it never mattered before this one... hmm.

Here's another one

May 26, 2013, 3:04 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI0GMR2w59Y

Nixon bowing to a commie.. Doh!

yes, Obama is apparently very Nixonian.***

May 26, 2013, 8:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

but no #### W. Cheney***

May 26, 2013, 10:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cheney was the worst President. oh wait.

May 26, 2013, 3:10 PM

if we judge by Vice Presidents, then Obama must be considered full ###### (aka Joking Joe Biden).

The only difference ... Nixon had the courtesy and decency

May 26, 2013, 1:43 PM [ in reply to yes, Obama is apparently very Nixonian.*** ]

to resign after his scandals.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Nixon had no decency***

May 26, 2013, 1:58 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nixon had no decency***

May 26, 2013, 3:23 PM

more than the current guy.

null

Yes, it really makes you wonder what could be different

May 26, 2013, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Just like every other President ]

about this president than all the others that causes southern "conservative" men in particular to just go ballistic when he does the same things that every other president has done. My theory is it's that southern "conservatives" just don't like tall men.

Re: Yes, it really makes you wonder what could be different

May 26, 2013, 12:20 PM

Ah yes the race card. Never leave home without it.

null

right, this is totally the same as Reagan's head nod. the curtsy is a nice

May 26, 2013, 3:07 PM

extra touch.

Of course, when the President realized he forgot

May 26, 2013, 2:50 AM

to salute the young man, he ran off the chopper, back down the ramp and shook the man's hand.

It would take a sick mind to make this controversial.. But such is the times we are in.

Pubs live for moments like this, Cola. They live for them.

May 26, 2013, 10:19 AM

And putting loud bumper stickers on their car.

1)Presidents are under no obligation to salute anyone; in

May 26, 2013, 6:49 AM

fact, it was never done until Reagan started doing it, much to the horror of the military brass; 2)There are a host of situations where officers are not obligated to return salutes from enlisted men. So even if Obama was in the chain-of-command, which he is not, because he is a civilian, he would not have been obligated to return a salute there.

he personally killed bin Laden, he don't have to salute nobody!***

May 26, 2013, 8:52 AM

He =/= Obama, right?***

May 26, 2013, 1:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

not in the chain of command?

May 26, 2013, 6:54 PM [ in reply to 1)Presidents are under no obligation to salute anyone; in ]

he's only at the top

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So goes the diseducation of today's youth.***

May 27, 2013, 10:30 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

Yep! "Commander in Chief"

May 26, 2013, 9:44 AM

*Sigh*

Yes, o.k., he IS in the chain of command, but you know

May 26, 2013, 12:16 PM

what I meant. He isn't a line or staff officer, so there's no reason for him or any other president to return military salutes.

Commander in Chief is still a civilian designation….

May 26, 2013, 1:36 PM

You are obviously very ignorant of American History. The American Presidency is a civilian position, not a military position. That's what separates us from Military Dictatorships. The USA is a Representative Democracy not a Military controlled government. If you want live in a country controlled by the Military move to Burma.

Re: Commander in Chief is still a civilian designation….

May 26, 2013, 1:42 PM

The United States of America is a Republic.

Representative Democracy.***

May 26, 2013, 1:59 PM

(Sigh) Reading is fundamental.***

May 28, 2013, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Commander in Chief is still a civilian designation…. ]

Sorry for all the confusion over my use of the term "salute"

May 26, 2013, 12:37 PM

As a veteran myself I should have said the president failed to acknowledge the Marine. That would have been more appropriate. But still, the president doesn't have to acknowledge the Marine, but he realized perhaps he should have and returned to speak to him. Regardless, the family is proud of him and his service.

I have a friend who is in the Air Force Reserves…..

May 26, 2013, 1:40 PM

and while he was on duty President Bush walked right by him and didn't salute him or talk to him, and he took no offense to this even though my friend is a Democrat. President's don't always stop and talk to every single Military member.

It's funny, if you've seen the news clip you can a Marine

May 26, 2013, 1:53 PM

pilot who appears to remind Obama of what he did. That Marine has a serious set of 'nads if he indeed called out the president,

You're missing the point. All American President's don't...

May 26, 2013, 2:01 PM

stop to talk to every Military member or even salute them. President's don't salute.

It's a long and sacred tradition that goes all the way back

May 26, 2013, 12:43 PM

32 years. Oh the humanity!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

President's never salute

May 26, 2013, 1:30 PM

nm

Re: President's never salute

May 26, 2013, 3:22 PM

false

null

Reagan was the first I can remember to salute the troops.

May 26, 2013, 1:38 PM

Half the country thought it was a disgrace for a non-military person to disrespect the troops with a salute.

Now the other half is complaining about failure to salute. This political chit is ridiculous.

Thank your cousin for his service. He's a leather neck I'm sure his feeling weren't hurt by a pantywaist liberal progressive ignoring him. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right, i doubt he was offended. I think my family is

May 26, 2013, 1:55 PM

more excited over this then he is.

It's a honor thing.

May 26, 2013, 2:04 PM

Evidently, the Marines thought he deserves the honor and so do I. He honors God, his parents, faimly and the rest of us by being selected from thousand to serve at that capacity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just found out from my mom the Marine who Obama forgot to

May 28, 2013, 9:30 AM

I do not think it is required.

http://blogs.reuters.com/talesfromthetrail/2008/12/24/to-salute-or-not-to-salute-thats-obamas-question/

Replies: 38
| visibility 3,334
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic