Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"We don't hang division banners" - Kobe
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 51

"We don't hang division banners" - Kobe

Oct 26, 2018, 11:57 AM

Kobe Bryant last night was asked again about what it means to be a Laker and the expectations there are to win and he repeated the same line as whenever he gets asked that and said "We don't hang division banners". That has always come across to me (and ESPN, because it always their caption on the interview when posted) as a powerful message and truly shows a history of success as a franchise and a desire to repeat it. Even though they have been absolute trash since 2012, it hasn't changed their mindset that a division title is not an achievement so great that it gets to be prominently displayed. Which brings me to this.

(See image 1)

Under Dabo we have changed a lot as a program (I'll let you insert some of your own favorite Tim Bourret stats about how great we are now). With these changes fans' expectations have also shifted and I think we have come to the point as a program where we no longer hang division banners (technically a year placard, but still). I respect the 2012 Clemson football team a lot, but mainly for that LSU win, which they are remembered for in the graveyard. That 2009 football team featured a legendary Clemson player and signaled the start of something special, but he will have his own special place in the stadium to be remembered one day.

Don't get me wrong, we are not the Lakers and I do not want to be. We are Clemson, where the fun is always in the winning. I am not trying to belittle any teams accomplishments, but I think we have matured past the point of hanging banners for division titles. And I think we all know who will never be.

(See Image 2)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We didn't win a division in 2012, there shouldn't be a

Oct 26, 2018, 12:01 PM

placard for that year

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We didn't win a division in 2012, there shouldn't be a

Oct 26, 2018, 12:06 PM

We technically tied for it against FSU (both team went 7-1 in conference), but they won the head to head so they represented the Atlantic in the championship game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is ghey, they clearly won the division that year, we

Oct 26, 2018, 12:20 PM

are better than an asterisk, that is some North Carolina #### there, claiming a tie when we got our ### handed to us by the team we "tied" with

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s just a place holder until we need the space

Oct 26, 2018, 12:19 PM

For conference and national championships.

Got have balance until the left side gets filled up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "We don't hang division banners" - Kobe

Oct 26, 2018, 12:39 PM

I disagree. pro=/=college "divisions". There is a time that the NBA only had 8 or 10 so claiming titles was a lot easier, or in Kobe's case, riding on the coattails of the best bigmen in the league.

With conference expansion, divisions are closer to what conferences used to be but a few decades ago. A banner is a banner. Collect them all and remind the Nancy State that hope is pointless. That being said, the ones that matter are the conference and national banners.

I think the coots were that desperate for any SEC accomplishment they were willing to advertise a 40+point Auburn accomplishment in their own stadium.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic