Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Use Of Tempo On Offense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,639

Use Of Tempo On Offense

Jul 3, 2019, 6:12 PM

Tempo - let's face it evens the playing field if you don't have an elite OL. It gives the defense less opportunity to line up in what they have identified on film as your "down and distance tendency"! Defenses have to play "base defenses" instead of anything exotic geared to the offenses personnel. It's great; I love it.
Syracuse has been so tough in my opinion b/c of how fast they play! They look for 6'3 and up WR's and a QB who throws good 50/50 balls as well as a principle to what they do. But, tempo, against a team with more talent helps.
In the championship game we didn't exactly play slow; but it wasn't 99 plays like we did in 2016 either. Which all the experts said, "our only chance was tempo and wearing down the Bama front"! One announcer added, "yeah, but Clemson's problem is those back up players are just as good as the starters"! That may/may not be true - but defenses are just not the same when they can't get to the QB! Your legs turn to "jelly" and you get winded getting in your stance against tempo as a DL.
Has Clemson reached the point we don't have to use it to "even the playing field"?

**If the championship game was any indication against the so called best team in college football history; I would say we have arrived at a place it's not as critical to our success. Though, I have to admit, I love it when we are going fast and wearing down defenses. It squelches any chance they may have had of trying to "stay in the game with CU"!
What do you think?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Use Of Tempo On Offense

Jul 3, 2019, 7:10 PM

Good post - HillRock ! I agree - Clemson now has the talent to play with anybody - whether using tempo or not ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jul 3, 2019, 7:31 PM

It's fun to watch too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2019, 7:48 PM

The one thing I have noticed, especially at the start of a game and defenses against us are a little “chippy,” our receivers and backs are too busy trying to receive the next play and don’t react or take the bait.

Jul 3, 2019, 8:15 PM

Tempo should be a weapon in every offense's arsenal. When to use it just depends.

For our offense, I see tempo primarily being used after TOs and in the 2nd half to grind weary defenses to powder.

Thanks For The Responses!

Jul 3, 2019, 11:10 PM

Good Feedback! I think we are all pretty much on the same page as far as how CU now uses tempo!

Coach Morris - had to have it and . . . . "it served us well"! It can get you in trouble too! But, ironically it(UTNH-offense) may have been the key to landing B. Venables!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 4, 2019, 9:29 AM

Just the opposite in the natty. The Clemson offense burned the final 10:02 off the clock in what went down as the longest drive in the history of Clemson football. I guess that must have been Dabo's version of the slow tempo offense.

Jul 4, 2019, 10:15 AM

I believe offensive time on the field is much more important than number of plays ran.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,639
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic