Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
got my car inspected this am. Sticker expired in Feb.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 218

got my car inspected this am. Sticker expired in Feb.

Oct 9, 2020, 9:47 AM

VA Gov suspended enforcement of expired stickers and extended it a couple times, through 10/31 due to teh rona.

Thanks, Gov, for letting me defer that $21 for several months. And I guess I was safer w/o having to go get it done, and the po-po was safer not writing tickets for expired stickers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What kind of backwards state still has car inspections ?

Oct 9, 2020, 9:49 AM

Isn't that a relic of white supremecy ?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thankfully, SC got rid of that scheme a long time ago

Oct 9, 2020, 9:50 AM

it was a PIA and not sure it really accomplished a whole lot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

everybody had a "guy" at the filling station in town

Oct 9, 2020, 9:55 AM

who would pass your POS car without question when you had a light or a blinker out.

It was a network-by-mouth system much like the store that would sell you beer without an ID.

We ALL knew one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep and tips were appreciated.

Oct 9, 2020, 9:58 AM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I recall my 1st shocking experience with a legit inspection

Oct 9, 2020, 10:10 AM

I had never sweated one growing up in a small town, my "guy" never even glanced at my vehicle, just paid him the $5 and got the sticker.

Well, I moved to Columbia after college and being new in town, didn't know a "guy" yet. I was pretty confident my car at the time was good, seemed good to me, so I wheeled into a Phillips 66 station (how I recall that I don't know). Guy pulls out this contraption and hooks it to my headlights (which functioned perfectly fine). He then says he is failing the inspection because the headlights were misaligned. MISALIGNED. WdaF?

He swindled $20 from me to "align" them, and subsequently passed me. Effer.

I found a "guy" soon thereafter.
Like you said, fortunately they did away with them a few years later.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to mention the death of "full service" gas stations

Oct 9, 2020, 9:59 AM [ in reply to everybody had a "guy" at the filling station in town ]

That was pretty much what ended it. It was becoming a racket because you then had to take your car to a dealership, or some other place, where they would fleece you.

Not unlike the Town of Lexington "back flow valve" inspection, required yearly. Has to be done by a plumber, licensed, and then the town so KINDLY sends you a list of "approved" plumbers. Call them and they will quote you $125-$150. So you go to a shadetree plumber who does it for $25. I can only imagine where the kickbacks go and how they're distributed.

They claim it's required by DHEC. Lived in City of Columbia for 30 years, and it was never required for City of Columbia customers. EVER. My parents NEVER had a backflow valve inspection done. Moved to Lexington and I'm like ###?

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greenville does this but I think it is every 5 years***

Oct 9, 2020, 10:02 AM

They put backflow preventers on outside faucets now

Oct 9, 2020, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Not to mention the death of "full service" gas stations ]

and they take your pressure down to about zero. PIA.

Car inspections? Lol.

Oct 9, 2020, 9:56 AM

Sincerely,

South Carolina in 1995.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BTW, I'm not advocating state inspections. The worst part is

Oct 9, 2020, 10:01 AM

the peeps who know nothing about cars, car maintenance, and state inspections who think that the inspections validate their whole vehicle being in excellent condition.

I hadn't noticed SC quit doing them. In 1995?

Message was edited by: NoIntroduction®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 218
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic