Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ten years ago today my grandfather passed away
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 312

Ten years ago today my grandfather passed away

Dec 18, 2013, 10:20 AM

I still think about him everyday. The relationship a male has with his grandfather is truly unique.

He was an amazing man. I would give anything to hear another of his stories or spend a few more hours with him.

Any of you who were close to your grandfather's know what I mean.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was not close to either of my grandfathers.

Dec 18, 2013, 10:26 AM

One passed away before my time and the other when I was young. My son has a strong bond with my father and its an amazing thing to see them interact. RIP in peace Grandfather of tmitchell27

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I told my wife the same thing the other day about my kids

Dec 18, 2013, 10:29 AM

I have three boys, and to see them interact with my dad is priceless.

Some of the best memories I have are with my grandfather.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now all I want to do is be 8 years old, catch some

Dec 18, 2013, 10:34 AM

crickets, and go fishing with my granddad. He got old real quick after I graduated high school. It was hard to watch but I visited every time I came home. His body was worn out but he never didn't know who I was. It was even before I had a cell phone that he passed away. My dad drove up to Clemson early one July day. Probably got to town by 8 in the morning, I knew the second I opened the door what was going on. To this day, the hardest thing I've ever done is see my dad cry at the funeral.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, seeing my dad break down was tough

Dec 18, 2013, 10:41 AM

my grandma had just passed away 8 months earlier so my dad had a really hard time.

My grandfather is the reason I went to Clemson. He didn't

Dec 18, 2013, 11:00 AM

go, but when his son, my uncle, started attending Clemson, Poppy bought season tickets. He then proceeded to go to just about every home game from the early seventies till about 4 years ago when he passed away. My parents were gamecock fans, but he and my grandmother kept 4 tickets so he could bring me and my little brother (older brother is a Gamecock fan too). I think about him alot too...and I miss him a ton. We talk about him so much, my daughter will talk about him. He died before she was born.

My kids absolutely love my Dad. I hope he lives long enough to build a great relationship with my kids like I had with Poppy. Unfortunately, my Dad is overweight, smokes, and is in generally bad health (two strokes, needs an inhaler, COPD [which his little sister just died from]).

CSB

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Similar story with my Grandmother.

Dec 18, 2013, 11:34 AM

She invited us to a home game every year. That's all it took, I was hooked.

When it came time to pick a school it was down to Clemson and NCState. We lived in NC so difference between in-state and out of state was significant. She ended up paying the difference so I could go to Clemson. Best gift I ever got.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

Re: Similar story with my Grandmother.

Dec 18, 2013, 11:36 AM

Why didn't you just use her address?

Hard to convince them I lived in Clemson for 2 yrs while

Dec 18, 2013, 11:44 AM

attending HS in NC.

#ACCFTS

Man, your bus rides must have SUCKED***

Dec 18, 2013, 12:55 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My wife is about to lose her grandfather, probably within

Dec 18, 2013, 11:22 AM

the next month, it's sucking right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Sorry to hear, I'd try to tell as much family as possible to

Dec 18, 2013, 11:31 AM

call my phone for general news and wishes of merriment and hers for the bad, just to lessen the number of times she has to tense up when a family member calls. When my Mom's mother died just after Christmas 2011, I finally had to tell my Mom to not call until my Grandmother was leaving the hospital one way or the other. I had visited on Christmas eve. We had a good time, even watched the Raiders beat the Cheifs together. I choose to have that last memory instead of one where she probably didn't even know I was there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anna lost her mom last April and about to lose her

Dec 18, 2013, 11:35 AM

grandfather (her dad's dad too...so he's lost his wife and about to lose his dad). It's a rough couple years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Sorry to hear that.***

Dec 18, 2013, 11:54 AM [ in reply to My wife is about to lose her grandfather, probably within ]

They both died when I was 6 or 7

Dec 18, 2013, 11:26 AM

All I remember is that they smelled

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: as a grandfather let me share a thought

Dec 18, 2013, 11:58 AM

We were only blessed with one child- a daughter and I loved being a parent. We have three grandchildren and while I thought the parent think was great it is AA to the major leagues of being a grandparent.

I love my three grandkids and really enjoy time with them

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is a lot like my Uncle Aero role. I got to be a flat out

Dec 18, 2013, 12:23 PM

rock start. Just enough discipline to keep them from going to the ER, 0 of the even more annoying parent things.

Giving my dad a chance to be a granddad is actually kind of high on my list of reasons to maybe have a kid. Seeing as my step-sister is filling that void a bit, I'm not quite as concerned with it.

I wish my son could have had great times and memories

Dec 18, 2013, 12:11 PM

with his grandfathers. Like me, one had passed and the passed when my son was very young.

But since my son lives with his mom, I try to make it up to my son to be both father and grandfather ( if that is possible).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 312
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic