Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tangent to Teasdale topic....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Tangent to Teasdale topic....

Dec 6, 2015, 8:09 PM

I've noticed a trend lately in college football, and I saw it last night with both Teasdale and Fields......when they were getting their "talkings to" from Dabo, they both looked everywhere except at him.

I was raised that when you are speaking with someone in a position of authority (or getting spoken to), you look at the person while they are talking....this is how my kids have been raised as well. When these guys are looking all over the place while Dabo's talking, it's like "I don't have time for this." and downright disrespectful.

Is this just a generational thing, or am I in the minority here?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He looked like Forrest Gump being yelled at by the bus driver on his way to boot camp***

Dec 6, 2015, 8:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could also be seen as showing deference.

Dec 6, 2015, 8:11 PM

When getting a tongue lashing like that, looking someone dead in the eye could be seen as threatening. I had no problem with them looking elsewhere, they knew they had done wrong.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could also be seen as showing deference.

Dec 6, 2015, 9:34 PM

This.

When someone is frothing at the mouth, screaming in your face, the last thing to calm the fire would be direct eye contact IMO

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tangent to Teasdale topic....

Dec 6, 2015, 8:13 PM

I know that if my boss chews my ### out I would prefer it done in private.. imagine 75000 people watching!

Look in eyes, see disappointment, start crying***

Dec 6, 2015, 8:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Look in eyes, see disappointment, start crying***

Dec 6, 2015, 8:24 PM

you just won

Dec 6, 2015, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Look in eyes, see disappointment, start crying*** ]
image.jpeg(139.3 K)

Re: Look in eyes, see disappointment, start crying******

Dec 6, 2015, 8:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2015, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Look in eyes, see disappointment, start crying*** ]

Dec 6, 2015, 8:32 PM

You may have been raised that way but psychologically it's actually a sign of being submissive to look away, and aggressive to keep eye contact. Trust me, he isn't ignoring Dabo.

There was a reason old school coaches would grab facemasks

Dec 6, 2015, 8:36 PM

It was so the player had to look at them and the coach could know what they were saying was being absorbed.

Dec 6, 2015, 8:48 PM

I cannot speak for how younger generations have been raised, but I would agree that generally you should maintain eye contact. On the other hand, if Dabo was raising his voice, I can understand why those two would have reacted the way that they did, and do not have a problem with it. I know many coaches do it, but I do not agree with coaches yelling/screaming at these young men.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Dec 6, 2015, 8:52 PM

first off there are 80k people. How do you think he's going to hear him lol.. Secondly I doubt he was cussing at him so he was letting him know how DUMB it was. He yelled at them at the Miami game for bumping gums with the other team and getting away from what CLEMSON does. So he has already told them once. Having to repeat myself over and over you dang right I am about to raise my voice. That's what coaches do. You dont belittle, you just make it known that you messed up. You do it again you can get comfortable on that bench.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2015, 8:54 PM

good points-this is big boy football and players get yelled at--- I also bet Teasdale would admit he deserved it.

Dec 6, 2015, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Tangent to Teasdale topic.... ]

Obviously, I wouldn't have a problem with a coach raising his voice to be heard over surrounding noise. I had no problem with the way Dabo handled the team in Miami. For me, it is more about one's tone than the raising of the voice, or cussing, which I never mentioned. I cannot be sure what Dabo's tone was, so I cannot fault him for what he did, nor am I doing that.

However, I was stating my opinion about coaches, in general, in regards to raising their voices. A lot of coaches do it, but I don't agree with it, as there are ways to get your point across with yelling at someone. The OP pointed out that two players didn't seem to care for it either, and my original point is that I can relate to those players, and have no problem with them not making eye contact.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

If someone were cutting your butt you'd look them on the eye?

Dec 6, 2015, 10:38 PM

In all animals, even people, that is a challenge. Looking away is submissive.
Think about boxers at a weigh in before a fight.. to look away is weak, hence a staredown.
As long as the talking to ends with a quick eye contact and acknowledgement its all good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I give a pass on the looking away but what I hate

Dec 6, 2015, 10:56 PM

is when the player just keeps walking passed the coach while the coach is talking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic