Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tailgate Satelite
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Tailgate Satelite

Aug 7, 2017, 11:36 AM

I know it has been discussed on here but can't seem to find it. What are the best options for a satelite? My father is older and doesn't have same desire to walk in the stadium. He took me for 20 plus years and we still want him at the tailgates.

My wife just finished school so we are not looking for something extravagant but want something reliable. I have direct tv and assume I can just plug one of the boxes in to the satelite.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You'll need a flux capacitor

Aug 7, 2017, 11:37 AM

and a current diverter, dont forget that!

1.21 gigawatts!!!!!!!!!***

Aug 7, 2017, 12:01 PM

Two iPads and Facetime him from inside the game

Aug 7, 2017, 11:39 AM

boom - solved.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Here's our setup.......

Aug 7, 2017, 11:39 AM

Picks up signals flawlessly, but the only downside is that I have to tow the generator that powers it.

For anyone who is a real fan, it's worth the $68k.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your going to need a dedicated box, a new tripod with

Aug 7, 2017, 11:42 AM

an HD DirecTV antenna, a 60" 4K TV with Monster Cables, and about 400' of Coax. Put the antenna on the tripod and place it in the middle of the field you tailgate in, run the cable to your set box, plug, and play. It's as easy as 1-2-3-4-5-69. Should be rather affordable, what with both of you out of school. I can provide everything you need for $7400 plus delivery.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a sad sign of the times......

Aug 7, 2017, 11:44 AM

when you can't just assume that someone would automatically spring for the Monster Cables.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I cannot even watch a TV without 4k running through Monster

Aug 7, 2017, 11:45 AM

cables with Bose speakers. Why even turn it on if you don't have this stuff? People are so cheap these days.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, it's like buying a top of the line Camry and not

Aug 7, 2017, 11:49 AM

springing for premium fuel. Who wants to watch 4k TV in 3500?

With that digital signal, it's critical to keep

Aug 7, 2017, 11:59 AM [ in reply to It's a sad sign of the times...... ]

the 1's straight and the 0's round...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

That's part of it........

Aug 7, 2017, 12:04 PM

The 99.9999% de-oxygenated gold is the other part. A lot of people don't know this, but other brands' gold (or even copper---snicker) wire contains oxygen, and oxygen will just totally suck the quality out of a signal.

Here's a nice economical package that would take care of

Aug 7, 2017, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Your going to need a dedicated box, a new tripod with ]

most of your needs:

https://greenville.craigslist.org/tro/d/clemson-football-tailgate/6235317137.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tailgate Satelite

Aug 7, 2017, 11:43 AM

I took my truck to the Syracuse game last year. Didn't feel like wasting money on a blowout so we camped outside the stadium. Picked up roughly 150 foreign and domestic channels.

One of these works for most games:

Aug 7, 2017, 11:46 AM

If it is on the ESPN, easiest satellite set up is:

https://www.dishformyrv.com/king-tailgater-antenna-bundle/

Switched to Dish a couple years ago because Directv didn't offer anything similar. If you can't afford that, then just live with the fact that you have to haul a regular Directv dish out there and spend 30 minutes trying to get the tripod level/aim it right.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dish tailgater. Actually picked up a better signal than my

Aug 7, 2017, 11:49 AM

Dish mounted on the roof. If it rained too hard I could just break the tailgater out and still watch TV.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In all sirrusness folks, isn't a Dish just about a thing of

Aug 7, 2017, 11:52 AM

the past now? I can stream just about any Directv show on my phone now. Why wouldn't you just set up a 4G hotspot, put a smart TV and your phone on the same network, and cast the show to the TV? No dish required.

I imagine once 5G speeds are the norm, this will definitely supplant satellite dishes as the way to go.

You can't even send a text message during some of the bigger

Aug 7, 2017, 11:55 AM

games. 1/10, have tried, does not work. Anyone who tries a Verizon hotspot for home internet can also attest.

are you a Mexican, or a Mexican't?***

Aug 7, 2017, 11:56 AM

When the going gets tough....No habla ingles***

Aug 7, 2017, 11:58 AM

This is one of those Obed posts that I honestly have no idea

Aug 7, 2017, 11:56 AM [ in reply to In all sirrusness folks, isn't a Dish just about a thing of ]

whether or not it's an elaborate troll.

we aren't there yet, from a network capacity perspective.

Aug 7, 2017, 11:58 AM

But I'll eff a hollowed out cucumber if in the next 5 years or so we aren't looking back and laughing about having to set up satellite dishes at our tailgate spots to watch TV.

I just don't know that we'll ever be there from a network

Aug 7, 2017, 12:05 PM

capacity perspective unless Clemson and other schools can convince the networks to increase their capacity to where it needs to be for streaming for those 7 days a year where the population quintuples.

Heck Verizon spent $10 million a couple years ago putting in more antennas, and people still have trouble sending texts and posting reactionary chicken little threads every time we have a 3-and-out

I think there will be a few things in our favor.....

Aug 7, 2017, 12:12 PM

1) Winkopp is quickly making sure that Clemson isn't a town of 10k anymore (minus student population)....a robust local network is going to be needed year-round pretty soon, and not just on gamedays.

2) More spectrum is being rolled out, so all phones won't be competing for the same few frequencies. It'll be even better when 5G launches, and some people are still on 4G while early adapters are on 5G.

3) The cost for network connections to the towers have plummeted. The wireless provider's price for bandwidth is pennies on the dollar for what it was when they probably last upgraded. We will soon likely have 100G+ burstable fiber to each tower, instead of fighting over a DS3 or an OC3 connection.

Just MHO though, but it's an area where technology is rapidly progressing and costs are shrinking.

One other thing......

Aug 7, 2017, 12:34 PM

That's just the cellular side of the house. Another likely (and far cheaper) option would be via a beefing up of the CU campus wifi network. The in-ground network capacity is already in place to handle a gameday scenario there, it's just the wifi that would currently bonk.

Clemson would probably end up charging people more to use

Aug 7, 2017, 12:39 PM

the wifi than what a satellite cost. Probably like $100 per day, with Heisman donors and up getting "free" access.

I'm sure they'd make it a profit center, but still

Aug 7, 2017, 12:44 PM

I'd throw $50-75 a season on top of season ticket costs to have a wifi signal that was guaranteed to stream HD at my space.

I'll second that commotion!***

Aug 7, 2017, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Clemson would probably end up charging people more to use ]

That's not exactly true.

Aug 7, 2017, 1:24 PM [ in reply to One other thing...... ]

The cable plant at Clemson is woefully behnid the times--and new fiber connections to the main buildings were only recently (2015) run to the main buildings on campus. As of this time last year, that project was still in progress--not even all the buildings had sufficient b/w to support the A/Ps they had in place.

Add to that most of the infrastructure at P&A is a cobbled mess of different manufacturers' test equipment that some of it isn't even upgradeable. They aren;t using Cisco as a standard, and well, you can go from there.

Gotcha......I was just basing it on a proposal my old

Aug 7, 2017, 1:29 PM

company did for multiple 10G circuits on campus a couple years ago.....supposedly they were going with a competitor, but we probably lost to status quo.

Let's just say they haven't had much continuity in mgt

Aug 7, 2017, 1:51 PM

the last few years. They now have a new CIO, and a lot of the old guard is teri-ing out--and hopefully will take some of the holds out with them. They need a fresh start there.

They still running Novell?

Aug 7, 2017, 8:28 PM

I found that odd 6 years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty simple, at least the way I do it.

Aug 7, 2017, 12:36 PM

I go down on Friday nights and splice into the big video board above the hill. Yes, it's cable ready. Then I just run coax out to lot 2, convert to HDMI, and plug it right in to my TV. I run the power off the generator the drunken man that parks next to me brings (HE NEVER EVEN NOTICES LOL).

The trick here is running the coax. I run it along the stadium at about 20 feet high, then underneath the overhang at the AOC, under the lot 2 porta potties, then through an underground trench to my spot.

I dig the trench on Friday nights. Looks like a mole run on Saturdays.

Good luck mi amigo!

I leave that to Recon or 3Time if she's there. ********

Aug 7, 2017, 8:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic