Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Syracuse? What am I missing here?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Syracuse? What am I missing here?

Jul 16, 2013, 9:39 AM

I just don't understand why people are even remotely concerned about this game. I recognize that they won a bowl game last year, but after their coach and QB have left, what's left?

The football team has changed their mentality, and we as fans need to as well. I have seen posts about how some are concerned with the high expectations going into this season and worried about starting out against a top 10 team. However, the same fans want a top tier program. Those two ideas conflict. You think Bama fans were worried about opening up against Michigan last year? Or having to travel to play some crappy team?

So what is it that really worries you about playing Syracuse? Is it traveling to their crappy dome? Was it their wins over WVU and Louisville last year? Was it because they looked strong while losing to Minnesota? I just don't get it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Clemson, on the road. Unfamiliar dome, unfamiliar team.***

Jul 16, 2013, 9:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Clemson, on the road. Unfamiliar dome, unfamiliar team.***

Jul 16, 2013, 9:52 AM

I agree with all those points plus, for all the trash that was talked about the Big East(much like the ACC), they had some very tough teams. Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, UCON all play a rugged style. Much like VT and BC played when they first came to the ACC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson, on the road. Unfamiliar dome, unfamiliar team.***

Jul 16, 2013, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Clemson, on the road. Unfamiliar dome, unfamiliar team.*** ]

I've been to that Dome many times and it is loud, very loud! SU talks a good game and so do their fans but this year the Tigers will roll over them!Why? I've looked at every team statistic and we simply have a more powerful, faster, experienced team with blinding speed compared to them. The only way we lose this game is if Dabo fails to get the Tigers mean, angry and ready to put them to sleep early!!!
I fully expect the Tigers to roll by 4-6 TD's. I agree one game at a time but don't let this Dome BS concern you. We use lots of hand signals which is a plus in addition to the fact that our offensive pace will wear them down. Take it to the bank barring a letdown early.

^^^This is the right answer^^^

Jul 16, 2013, 11:23 AM

4-6 TD's. There is no reason why we shouldn't absolutely steamroll those douches

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Hope so. We'll be there.***

Jul 16, 2013, 12:35 PM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Yankee air is thinner, full of pollution and arrogance***

Jul 16, 2013, 9:45 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

And full of stars n stripes, not stars n bars. We won******

Jul 16, 2013, 9:48 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The body works better with a proper nerve supply.

Did you graduate from Clemson?***

Jul 16, 2013, 11:57 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jersey Jerky.. Won what? Is that why so many move south?***

Jul 16, 2013, 1:16 PM [ in reply to And full of stars n stripes, not stars n bars. We won****** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People that lump in Syracuse with the rest of...

Jul 16, 2013, 2:46 PM

the Northeast, obviously have never been to upstate New York. Upstate New York is a lot like the rural South, especially when it comes to the scenery and the sensibility of the people. Spend a few days up there and you'll see what I'm talking about. Syracuse students...well, that's another story.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jersey Jerky.. Won what? Is that why so many move south?***

Jul 16, 2013, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Jersey Jerky.. Won what? Is that why so many move south?*** ]

people move south because the schools are easier to get in to and the woman dont use hair spray.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We? What the hell did you do?***

Jul 16, 2013, 4:07 PM [ in reply to And full of stars n stripes, not stars n bars. We won****** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

You won? I dare you to watch the news for 24 hours straight

Jul 16, 2013, 4:14 PM [ in reply to And full of stars n stripes, not stars n bars. We won****** ]

and then come back and brag about your winning.

P.S. We killed twice as many of you.

^^^ironic use of the word 'arrogance'***

Jul 16, 2013, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Yankee air is thinner, full of pollution and arrogance*** ]

They've upset teams the last 2 years

Jul 16, 2013, 9:47 AM

#11 Louisville (45-26) last year and #14 WVU in 2011 (49-23)

I don't think they can do the same against us, but they do.

Minds can change...

Jul 16, 2013, 12:02 PM

many do by halftime when The Tigers take the field.

Can you imagine a cuse fan's joy when his team comes to DV after the azzkickin they'll take this year?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody wan't to miss the 1st annual "Battle of the Upstates"***

Jul 16, 2013, 10:22 AM

because the prolate spheroid bounces in funny ways?

Jul 16, 2013, 10:23 AM

"...the football's unique shape gives it an exceptionally erratic bounce that has unpredictable consequences over the course of the game."

photo books_zpsdd18e104.jpg

you can read more about the football's lack of "predictable" spectacular reflection in this book by timothy gay, ph.d. if the title doesn't grab you, i'm sure the author will.

HTH.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^wants to grab the author***

Jul 16, 2013, 10:44 AM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Under that argument we should be terrified of every

Jul 16, 2013, 11:09 AM [ in reply to because the prolate spheroid bounces in funny ways? ]

opponent.

you asked what you were missing. i rechecked your op &

Jul 16, 2013, 11:46 AM

didn't see any of my offering in there. perhaps i missed something?

because i enjoy helping, i don't look for or need thanks.

hopefully someone else covers "on any given saturday" & half the teams that play that day will loose.

i'll stay by my computer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Syracuse? What am I missing here?

Jul 16, 2013, 10:31 AM

When you as a fan and most especially as a player or coach don't worry about a game, that is the game that jumps up and dashes all dreams and hopes of a national championship!!!
One game at a time folks!

Jul 16, 2013, 10:46 AM

Actually - Bama fans were worried about Michigan last year - fwiw

Syracuse players plan to beat us. They've stated as much (I don't have the link, but there is one somewhere if you need to search for it).

As long as SU players/coaches think they can beat us - they can. So - yes - we need to be concerned about that game.

I actually worry most about game (in order of concern):
USuC
UGA
FSU
NCSU
GT
SU

That is HALF of our schedule. For us to be talking "NC", that's a lot of games to be concerned about. I think ANY of these 6 teams have a decent-to-great chance to beat us.

Depending on whether or not our D wins 2-3 games for us, I expect us to go 8-4 to 10-2. 11 wins would be unbelievable and 12 wins would require divine intervention IMO. I am not in the camp of "NC" or Heisman winners this year for our TIGERS. Sorry - but I don't see it.

Footballs ain't round.

Jul 16, 2013, 10:59 AM

I agree about the NC. It takes more that 110% to make it to the NC game, it take a lot of that funny shaped ball bouncing the right way. It also take a lot of officiating. I know it's not popular with some to blame or credit the officials with a win or loss but if folks can't see that the outcome of many games are (perhaps unintentionally) determined by officials they are blind.

I'd disagree with you on the number of wins. There's no way we lose more than two games in the regular season and I'd say 11 is a reasonable guess. Yes, I know I haven't seen this or any other team take the field.

I'm not disagreeing with you in the least.

Jul 16, 2013, 10:53 AM

Clemson has a history of going completely complacent for at least one game a every year. I'm talking about losing to a team when were are clearly the more talented. I blame most of those on our coaches past and present.

The concern for FSU, uGAY and USuCk being more than a handful is normal for they are top ten teams.

When the normal anxiety of meeting a top ten foe overflows and drips into the scars left from blowing a game we should have won we find ourselves confused. I kinda think that's where we are.

That was my literary-style evaluation if you want the technical send the crazy mother-fukers to my office so I can get them on the couch one at a time. I'd also demand payment from this bunch before the examination. :)

It's not football that concerns us... it's basketball!***

Jul 16, 2013, 11:10 AM

The Clemson Nation is slowly, but surely, beginning to

Jul 16, 2013, 11:16 AM

recover the expectations of winning games, rather than the hopes of wins. My view toward the Cuse game is one of expecting to win, albeit a little guardedly. Too many times teams and fans will enter contests underestimating opponents, and the problem with Cuse is that it is an unknown at this point. Thus, some Clemson fans are being cautious forecasting victory, while others expect no problems. I expect no problems, but, also, want the team to focus on that game, that week...and none else...and I believe they will.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fandome Human Nature 101. Someone at Alabama is

Jul 16, 2013, 12:13 PM

thinking "Man, I hope we don't overlook Chattanooga."

null

Jul 16, 2013, 1:56 PM

The only team that can beat our Tigers when they play SU is the Tigers!!!! If they're mentally ready to get off to a fast start and put pressure on a young SU team, the score should get ugly quick! This game at Tigers -8 is the pick of the year IMO!!
GOOOOOOO TIGERS!!!!No mental lapses!!!!

Jul 16, 2013, 2:40 PM

Exactly. If we come to play, it doesn't matter what Syracuse team shows up...

But it's a long trip North to unfamiliar territory against an unfamiliar opponent. The fact of the matter is, along with Florida State, Clemson is the team in the ACC. No matter what, every team in the ACC is putting an extra large circle around our game every week. If we beat Georgia in the opener, that gets even bigger.

A team like Syracuse, who has a history of playing spoiler, is one of the many teams we can't overlook this year. Losing a game is hard to swallow...but losing a game to yourself leaves an extra bitter taste.

Road games are always tricky & we will be Syracuse's first

Jul 16, 2013, 3:43 PM

league game. They'll be preparing for an upset so they can make an impression, and we're a big name opponent.

After their opener, they also have a cupcake schedule leading up to our game.

schedule [link]

Jul 16, 2013, 3:49 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/183/syracuse-orange

Me either***

Jul 16, 2013, 3:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2013, 4:10 PM

We should be concerned about every game. Any attitude of "we cant lose to them" is dangerous.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic