Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: The content of character
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,937

Sunday sermon: The content of character

Oct 14, 2012, 11:23 AM

"Yeah, I had the perfect game plan ... someone else screwed up."

Today's verse is Romans 12:16. "Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud and ... do not think you are spurrier."

Or that last word might be "superior." After he threw everyone with a pulse under the bus, it's hard to read through the blood and entrails.

I do not derive joy from the misery of others. Never have, never will. That said, I have a deep abiding satisfaction in seeing the haughty brought low, then proving their character ... or lack of it ... in the aftermath.

Want proof? Below are two quotes. Both are after tough losses that effectively derailed dreams of a national title. One quote comes from Dabo, the other from Spurrious. You guess which is which:

"Let’s don’t walk out of here thinking we’re a bad football team. Let’s don’t walk around with our head down like somebody stole our dog."

or

"I don't know if he got hit in the head tonight or not. Some of his decision-making was a little off."

Yeah, coach, Conner Shaw was the reason. Couldn't be the fact that LSU owned the time of possession, had twice as many yards and essentially proved once again that your mouth writes checks that you can't throw people under the bus fast enough to cover.

It's been a nice run for the Columbia side show...

I get it, really I do. When you're a carnival barker, and you finally have a decent side show, you want to make sure EVERYONE sees the goat-boy and the monkey man.

And the Capons have been a first-rate side show for the past few years. Sure, they've had more horseshoes jammed up their rear ends than the prison population of Texas, but one way or the other it's been a very nice run for the feathered flock.

And I imagine it's tough to be as self-important as the King Capon is and realize that the coop is about to come crashing down. LSU has handed every team remaining on the schedule the blueprint to turn your Cinderella season into a raging dumpster fire.

We've been there. But we didn't hang a player who's done nothing but play his heart out up on a cross, then hide in the shadows.

In moments like this, the content of character are revealed. And Spurrious couldn't stand the blinding light that he's just seen his last best chance at being relevant slip away.

That's the difference between having character and being a character.

Sorry coach. It's all caricature from here ... sort of like realizing you're doomed to being the Paul Lynde of college football. You'll sit in the middle of Hollywood Squares, firing off snide one-liners to canned laughter as other careers blossom in prime time.

The future's coming quick, Uncle Creepy

In time, your side show will be relegated to the back of the carnival, behind the Himalaya and petting zoo. You'll be that Uncle Creepy-looking guy that parents will steer their kids away from.

The character fully revealed.

Earlier today, someone noted that THIS is why the Sons of Clemson never wish UCS well. King David never said, "Boy it's a good thing those Philistines are doing well. It makes us all better."

There is nothing gained when the carnival barkers and corrupters of all that is good in our state prosper.

So this morning, we rejoice ... not in the setback of an opponent, but in the beginning of a rightening of a world skewed for so long. We have waited while the wicked prosper. Now, like summer grain they are ripe for the harvest.

We have a long way to go before we have a hand in that denoument. But when I think of little old Clemson being the final blade to cut down the abomination that has run rampant through this land for far too long, I can't help smiling.

As we like to say, Clemson is coming. And our wrath will be fearful.

Wait and see.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: The content of character

Oct 14, 2012, 11:24 AM

Great read, Rev, but is that quote under the first picture true? Did he really say that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's what he was thinking...as usual.***

Oct 14, 2012, 11:28 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's what he was thinking...as usual.***

Oct 14, 2012, 11:29 AM

OK. You are correct on what his thoughts were, but I didn't think that even HE would be that dumb to say it out loud.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the pic, man! Look at the pic! For sure he thinks it!

Oct 14, 2012, 11:42 AM

It's the smirky snarl (or the snarly smirk) that one can read like a book!

Message was edited by: TigerTwice®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Inspirational

Oct 14, 2012, 11:30 AM

as always

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Methinks you should make your sermons YouTube videos.

Oct 14, 2012, 11:32 AM

That would be awesome to hear you preach.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hah! If you thought Clemson Tom sounded country.....

Oct 14, 2012, 11:38 AM

This is about what I'd look like on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzCZd5RlxiA

Nice video of typical Coot hoedown in Cootlumbia.

Oct 14, 2012, 11:47 AM

:-O

p.s. I said "HEAR" not "SEE" :-P

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your Paul Lynde reference is outrageously keen! Ha!

Oct 14, 2012, 11:41 AM

It is truth that one finds so fulfilling!

Go, Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hallelujah...

Oct 14, 2012, 11:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post

Oct 14, 2012, 11:48 AM

Well said.....

good one rev!***

Oct 14, 2012, 12:45 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: The content of character

Oct 14, 2012, 1:08 PM

Great assessment of a truly narcisstic sob. No way I wold let a son of mine play for this ahole.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,937
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic