Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday Sermon: The future from a painful history
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Sunday Sermon: The future from a painful history

Oct 26, 2014, 11:00 AM

Five straight wins. Bowl eligible before Halloween for the third straight year. A ferocious defense that literally causes fear in foes.

Sounds like the good old days have returned to the Valley. Sounds like it, that is, until you find yourself wallowing in this circular argument.

Tiger Fan 1: Cole stinks! He's slow, can't throw the deep ball, telegraphs his throws, and no one respects his running.
Tiger Fan 2: But DW is out, and Cole's what we've got at QB. And he's not exactly getting stellar support from the line. As Clemson fans, we need to support him.
Tiger Fan 1: But he stinks.
TF 2: But he's what we've got.
TF 1: But he stinks.
TF 2: But he's what we've got.
(repeat until everyone is just sick of hearing it.....)

Both are Tiger fans, and both have merit in their feelings. Cole will never sway TF1, and TF2 will never see the value in denigrating the only QB we've got out there. Frankly I'm not a big fan of doing so, either.

And anyone who's been with the Tigers for a while has seen this before. For those who haven't, close your eyes and come back with me to the cusp of Clemson's golden era....1976. Mike O'Cain, a senior QB, was surrounded by young, blossoming talent. He also had a young QB (who, ironically, also wore No. 4) on his heels.

Mike was a decent QB and had a great mind for the game. But he didn't have Steve's skill set ... and he didn't have the defense that was to come. There was a lot of frustration in 1976, just like there is today. But I'm convinced that if Clemson had the '77 defense with the 76 offense, we'd see much of what we're seeing this year. Ugly at times, but successful.

That is why I'm optimistic, and why I may not enjoy watching this offense, I rejoice in where we're heading. We are where we are ... bowl eligible, despite losing a dozen key players on offense. So, let's try to reach a reasonable understanding so we can rejoice in the most impressive defense to defend the Valley in decades....

Given: Cole isn't DW, and he never will be.
Given: DW isn't coming back until GTech at the earliest.
Given: A multitude of injuries places even more importance on Cole's play. It also exposes some weaknesses on the O Line.
Given: Cole can't do anything about the injuries or exposed O Line issues, and there's no sense in deriding him for them.
Given: It's also pointless to retool the offense, since DW will be coming back.
Given: The current plethora of swing passes and short-yardage stuff is the most expedient solution to the task we currently have at hand.
Given: DW's return will cure a LOT of ills.
Then, resolved: True Tiger fans may have to grit their teeth a while longer, but with the defense we have, we should rejoice in the destruction of other teams while we await DW's return.

Folks intent on looking only for the bad this seaosn won't have to look hard to find it. But in the meantime, you're missing a he11uva tableau being painted in the pain and blood of our opponents.

In a few weeks, the offense will be fixed. And the defense will be insatiable.

And both, together, will be beautiful.

I promise.

Better days ahead.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BOOOOOOOOO!

Oct 26, 2014, 11:02 AM

Just kidding ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

You have a right to boo. Rev was clearly faking.***

Oct 26, 2014, 11:38 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Sunday Sermon: The future from a painful history

Oct 26, 2014, 11:05 AM

I also see this "coming together" just at the right time! Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I only submit this opinion for review

Oct 26, 2014, 11:08 AM

Cole is what he is, talent-wise. I can live with that.

And, I suspect he is toughing it out without complaining while in pain. His throws look worse than past years, so I suspect there is a physical problem causing it. For this I commend him.

But, for crying out loud, Cole needs to stop trying to run the ball when we have no timeouts late in a half!!!1!11!!!1!

It's the stupidity that bugs me.

But he has been good late when we have to have it, kudos to him. But some smarter play earlier might make the late heroics not so necessary, and save me some heartburn.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole suffers from Chad's play calling in many cases

Oct 26, 2014, 11:25 AM

Though that pitch that CJ fumbled was a terrific call and so open a few of us couldve walked it in

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Corporations are people. So is Soylent Green.

There have been a great many plays that if properly executed

Oct 26, 2014, 6:27 PM

would have the majority on here praising Chad Morris instead of criticizing him.

The bobbled pitch-out was just one very visible example of the perfect play call failing because the players could not execute.

Sure, the coaches make poor decisions at times that put the players in a bad situation, but much, much more often the palyers just do not execute the good plays that the coaches give them.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed: Just gotta roll and hold on...

Oct 26, 2014, 11:30 AM [ in reply to I only submit this opinion for review ]

...and thank the Almighty the defense is strong enough to carry us through this patch. That's why they call it a team ... everyone pulls together.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed: Just gotta roll and hold on...

Oct 26, 2014, 2:53 PM

> ...and thank the Almighty the defense is strong
> enough to carry us through this patch. That's why
> they call it a team ... everyone pulls together.

Your last sentence sums up this season perfectly, Rev -- we're seeing the true concept of TEAM played out perfectly: the guys pulling together as one towards one goal - WIN! GO TIGERS!

Oct 26, 2014, 11:31 AM

That was a great sermon, not just blurted out but well thought out. My compliments, Tiger.

Simple solution:

Oct 26, 2014, 11:40 AM

Put Schessler in for a series or two.

Tigernet will suddenly unify in it's support for the return of Cole Stoudt!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Dang! Good idea. Maybe we'll try it at Wake!***

Oct 26, 2014, 11:50 AM

or..

Oct 26, 2014, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Simple solution: ]

Schessler might pretty good and then cole goes back in and we are back at square 1 about QB's.. I believe that is why Schessler was never put in the game

Maybe I misunderstand...you think Scheusler didn't go in

Oct 26, 2014, 4:00 PM

because he may have done well and somehow confused the situation? Maybe i'm not reading that right.

Seriously?***

Oct 26, 2014, 5:45 PM [ in reply to or.. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2014, 2:57 PM

And all of the sons of clemson say AMEN!!!

That's not what's important here.

Oct 26, 2014, 6:17 PM

Where do you stand on booing players who flop?

How about booing floppers on national TV even if it's the EWE?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You use hartins type words like "plethora" and "insatiable"

Oct 26, 2014, 6:32 PM

Or maybe hartins uses RevDodd type words. It is somewhat poignant and affecting

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic