Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watson vs Stoudt by the numbers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Watson vs Stoudt by the numbers

Sep 8, 2014, 10:07 AM

Stoudt:
20 Drives, 118 Plays, 609 Yards, 44 Points (5 TDs, 3 FGs, 8 Punts, 1 INT, 1 Missed FG, 1 Turnover on Downs, 1 End of Half )
Yards Per Drive: 30.5
Yards Per Play: 5.2
Points Per Drive: 2.2
Drive TD %: 25.0%

Watson:
7 Drives, 36 Plays, 343 Yards, 35 Points (5 TDs, 2 Punts)
Yards Per Drive: 49.0
Yards Per Play: 9.5
Points Per Drive: 5.0
Drive TD%: 71.4%

Stoudt:
38/60, 446 Yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
% Completion: 63.3%
Yards Per Attempt: 7.4
Yards Per Completion: 11.7
Passes 20+ Yards: 7
% of Passes 20+ Yards: 11.7%
% of Passes TD: 1.7%
% of Passes INT: 1.7%

Watson:
10/13, 213 Yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs
% Completion: 76.9%
Yards Per Attempt: 16.4
Yards Per Completion: 21.3
Passes 20+ Yards: 5
% of Passes 20+ Yards: 38.5%
% of Passes TD: 30.8%
% of Passes INT: 0.0%

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt did something similar last year...

Sep 8, 2014, 10:10 AM

so was Stoudt better than Boyd? Not saying Stoudt is better than Watson, but these numbers are skewed.

I disagree

Sep 8, 2014, 10:14 AM

Lat year stoudt played only in garbage time...watson has played in the regular rotation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A couple of drives against Georgia. The rest was on

Sep 8, 2014, 10:16 AM

an FCS school.

And most of Stout's number are against and FCS school...

Sep 8, 2014, 10:25 AM

n/m

Again, I think Watson is actually more talented.

Sep 8, 2014, 10:17 AM [ in reply to I disagree ]

I think everyone knows that and we will eventually start. I trust the coaches to know when he is ready for the starting spot.

But watson did that against georgia.... He looked better

Sep 8, 2014, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Stoudt did something similar last year... ]

against georgia and better against weak competition. I really think cole has been rattled he's better than he's shown he's not been looking downfield and finding receivers and his release has been painfully slow. Re watch the game, it got to the point where stoudt had to have a designated receiver to throw the ball to and that's the only receiver he looked at. He did look a little better by the end of the game but he's going to have to be faster or our offense will fail its not made to hold on to the ball forever.

Watson and Stoudt each had two 2nd half drives agasint SC St

Sep 8, 2014, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Stoudt did something similar last year... ]

and from what I could tell they had roughly the same personnel in the game for them. Plus Watson has played in the 1st half of both games.

I wouldn't say these #'s are anywhere near as skewed as they were last year where Stoudt only played in garbage time.

completely different......stoudt played backup minutes......

Sep 8, 2014, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Stoudt did something similar last year... ]

never did dabo/morris even think about putting stoudt in the game when the game was in question.

tajh was treated like a TRUE starter.............Stoudt was treated like a TRUE backup

this year's different

Stoudt's QB Rating was worse than Boyd's last year

Sep 8, 2014, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Stoudt did something similar last year... ]

so the comparison really doesn't even make that much sense. Stoudt's yards per attempt (7.03) were worse than Boyd's (9.32) and Stoudt gives you almost nothing in the run game.

In my opinion there is no question that Watson is better . .

Sep 8, 2014, 10:31 AM

and the coaches have been aware of this since the spring. The reason that Watson isn't starting has little or nothing to do with loyalty to Stoudt though.

You have to bring Quarterbacks along differently than a LB or RB. The mental aspect of their game is so different from other positions.

Most coaches are hesitant to throw true freshman directly into the fire regardless of how good they are, and regardless of how good the incumbent is.

Watson will start when the staff feels that he is mentally ready to get thrown on his rear a few plays in a row, or throw a couple of interceptions, and not be ruined by it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In my opinion there is no question that Watson is better . .

Sep 8, 2014, 11:08 AM

Problem with that thought though is if he's only getting limited snaps, how long will it take to see something like that if he's taken out after every touchdown series he has...along with the fact he's making a touchdown nearly every time he's in there (sans the late part of the GA game where it wa already out of hand)? Can't see his ability to do any of that if you take him out after one series...

Re: Watson vs Stoudt by the numbers

Sep 8, 2014, 10:37 AM

I have to say that everyone...including the coaches...know that Watson is the more talented of our two QBs. However, I believe that they are being very careful in how they treat this situation. They do not want to give the impression of being swayed by the masses and being quick to pull the trigger on a very big decision. Had Watson not been injured in camp he prob would have shown everyone before the season that he was mature enough and talented enough to surpass Stout as the starter.
In my opinion it will take Stout performing poorly enough to make it obvious that the coaches have NO other choice but to bench him. I believe that this is why they are continuing to put Watson in and play him with our number 1s. So when that time comes...and it prob will come soon (Based on watching Stout play Sat and making several poor choices throwing into double coverage against a Division II team.) the transition will be seamless.

Just my opinion

Sep 8, 2014, 10:59 AM

I agree with you 23bobbyg and Surf Cat. IMO he'll get more reps with the ones or a mix of ones and twos. While on this subject why not put in Watson's backup in some this year.

Sep 8, 2014, 11:08 AM

Look back at so,e of Dabo and Chad's comments from spring practices. They said that Watson wasn't playing like he just got there and that he wasn't going away. They said he looked just as good as Stoudt and Kelly. If I'm not mistaken, it seems they made comments about him being the best looking freshman they had even seen.

When Kelly was dismissed and Watson injured, the coaches came out and said Stoudt hasp down the starting role.

I agree, things are being handled this year much differently than last year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2014, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Watson vs Stoudt by the numbers ]

Because Kelly Bryant isn't in Clemson yet...

Sep 8, 2014, 11:41 AM

If you could subtract sweeps Stoudt completion percentage would drop 5% points and total yards would drop about 90 yards.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic