Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Special teams - especially punt returns - What are we doing?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 688

Special teams - especially punt returns - What are we doing?

Sep 13, 2014, 9:32 AM

It seems our special teams "return" game has almost been nonexistent for the past few years except for a few flashes of brilliance from the one and only Sammy Watkins (@Maryland 2-3 years ago?). So my question is... What are we doing exactly in our "return" game?

More specifically, what are we doing in our PUNT "return" game??

It seems to me we need to be doing one of the following:

1) Set up the return, or

2) Try to block the punt

We do neither. And it has been that way for quite some time now. Special teams shares 1/3 of the outcome of the game with Offense and Defense. I'm sick and tired of just putting someone back there with "sure hands" (Scar game last year???) just to fair catch the ball. We need to be more aggressive with our Special Teams. We don't try to block the kick and we just let the kicking team's coverage run right past us.

Am I the only one in feeling that this needs to be addressed?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe you should send Dabo an email...***

Sep 13, 2014, 9:43 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are not turning the ball over***

Sep 13, 2014, 9:45 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

really??? a TD for that***

Sep 13, 2014, 10:07 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

i noticed el swann, tigernet recruiting & confessed coot all

Sep 13, 2014, 10:12 AM

logged on recently.

that's all i'll say for now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are not turning the ball over***

Sep 13, 2014, 10:12 AM [ in reply to We are not turning the ball over*** ]

http://www.zbud.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-17947.html

some of the same from packers fans...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Special teams - especially punt returns - What are we doing?

Sep 13, 2014, 10:00 AM

If you pay attention, punters today put more emphasis on height than distance. Truthfully, have not seen a returnable punt yet. The reciever has to catch it in traffic, therefore it is important to have someone back there with sure hands who can concentrate on the ball rather than the coverage team.

Re: Special teams - especially punt returns - What are we doing?

Sep 13, 2014, 11:07 AM

I think this is a valid question, but like last week where the opponent has a great punter that always kicks it with height/hang time sure hands is important!

The problem I have is not everyone has a kicker that hangs it high, we need the ability to establish field position and returning a punt for touchdowns is the goal, but the chances of that are slimmer, but Humphries is not our answer for that!

I say see how they are kicking it, then make a coaching decision on who returns it1

Replies: 7
| visibility 688
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic