Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Michigan having spring practice in Italy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 2,413

Michigan having spring practice in Italy

Apr 23, 2017, 8:09 AM

Harbaugh pulls out all kinds of tricks for recruiting, but this seems to be getting out of hand.

By Bryan FischerApr 21, 2017, 5:42 PM EDT

Everybody fretted about it back in January when it was first announced, but the Michigan Wolverines really are heading to Rome for spring practice this month.

While a large number of football teams across the country are wrapping up their spring practices on Saturday, Jim Harbaugh and company will actually be getting ready to leave for Italy a few hours later. There are three workouts scheduled for next week in the city but a large amount of time for the players, coaches and staff members tagging along is being devoted to touring the historic sites around the area.

In addition to the Coliseum, Trevi Fountain and other tourist mainstays on the agenda for the Wolverines, one unique opportunity will take place next Wednesday: they’ll meet the pope.

“I want it to be the greatest experience of our players’ lives up until this point,” Harbaugh told the Big Ten Network last Saturday. “It’s going to be a great educational experience, and we have tickets to see the Pope give a papal address on the 26th of April.”

Harbaugh, who is a devout Catholic, and the rest of the Michigan team will apparently take in Pope Francis’ weekly audience, in addition to touring the rest of the Vatican and St. Peter’s Square. It’s not every day a college football team meets the pope and hopefully there will be plenty of cameras around to record what ever the Michigan football coach says to the pontiff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mich ain't won a thing under Harbaugh.

Apr 23, 2017, 8:22 AM

Guy makes 7 mil a year and can't go to Rome on his own dime? The Pope? Big deal...I ain't Catholic.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Pope?

Apr 23, 2017, 8:40 AM

If the FFRF group doesn't get all ramped up about taking the team to see the Pope, I sure don't want to hear anymore of their crap about offering some players a church to attend. Also, how is this not a personal benefit for the players? You can call it educational, but is there a class that any UM student can sign up for that includes an all-expenses paid trip to Rome? Furball is one arrogant dude.

Re: The Pope?

Apr 23, 2017, 8:52 AM

Agree. I failed to copy the last part where it said they are already planning future trips to Japan, Africa, and I forget the other places.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Michigan having spring practice in Italy

Apr 23, 2017, 8:50 AM

Whose paying for the trip?

Apr 23, 2017, 8:53 AM

I assume the school, I read somewhere that some thinks this is great because the school makes so much money off football or sports in general that the players should be rewarded.

Sounds like the Pope is a Michigan bagman. All of that

Apr 23, 2017, 9:02 AM

Vatican money...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thought he was a Notre Dame guy

Apr 23, 2017, 9:07 AM

Does Touchdown Jesus know about this?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

wonder if those anti-religion folks (who love to bug Clemson

Apr 23, 2017, 9:14 AM

and Coach Swinney) will go after an entire football team going to see the Pope....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: wonder if those anti-religion folks (who love to bug Clemson

Apr 23, 2017, 9:25 AM

If this is true, and they plan future trips to interesting foreign places, then this is giving benefits. More importantly, it's probably just another way of enticing recruits. Sounds like he could be promising recruits and all expense paid vacation. He really pushes the boundaries of the NCAA. Btw, I am a catholic tiger.

Re: wonder if those anti-religion folks (who love to bug Clemson

Apr 23, 2017, 1:30 PM

http://gbmwolverine.com/2017/03/07/michigan-football-announces-practice-schedule-spring-football/

You asked if it is true it looks like it and they sure did not try to hide it.

Apr 23, 2017, 9:21 AM

do they play football (American style) in Italy?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do they play American FB in Italy?

Apr 23, 2017, 10:57 AM

Yes... Read John Grisham's book, "Playing for Pizza". One of his best non-lawyer books and one of the best football related books you'll ever read.

Apr 23, 2017, 9:24 AM

The NCAA will eventually outlaw this .

This makes no sense

Apr 23, 2017, 10:23 AM

Also gets you out of forming good practice habits at home. That guy will never win a championship at Michigan.

Awesone***

Apr 23, 2017, 1:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

seems like a cool trip

Apr 23, 2017, 1:53 PM

I'm sure many of the players have never been out of the USA. Good experience for them

Replies: 16
| visibility 2,413
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic