Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some thoughts on last night...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 2,158

Some thoughts on last night...

Sep 17, 2017, 7:10 AM

While there is some talk of us being #1 when the rankings come out, there is also still a chance we could be back to back champions without being at the top of the polls in any preseason or mid season rankings - wonder if that's ever happened.

The defense continues to prove me wrong, as I complain to myself about how we are leaving so much time on the game clock during offensive drives while protecting a lead, and worried they may be getting tired. They just seem to get stronger as the game progresses. The depth and conditioning they show is incredible.

Etienne reminds me of Bellamy, but hopefully minus the attitude and off-field problems - ability to come off the bench and catch the defense off-guard with his quick burst and speed. Same for Ray Ray - I can't tell you how excited and proud I was to see him fun full sprint through the endzone and even give a head lunge like he was crossing the finish line in a 100 yd dash to show the coaches and fans he will never let off the gas or start celebrating early again. This shows he is about the team and not himself.

I have to admit that I was worried about Feaster when he saw limited time against Kent St and how that might affect him during and after this season. By making him earn his reps and prove himself before just handing over the reins to him, he got the opportunity to come out against Louisville and demand, through his performance, more touches (and maybe ultimately the starting job) and more of a role in this offense. This is where I can see the strategy of leaving 20 seconds on the game clock each snap, when we have this depth at running back to keep wearing defenses down.

In a game like last nights, where we are on the road against a team and crowd that thrives on momentum, protecting the ball on offense and extending drives is so important, and KB has impressed me more on this than anything (the last two games). There have a been a couple plays I thought he was going to try and force a pass, but took a sack instead when he couldn't safely throw it away. This is a sign of maturity and wisdom, especially when you can rely so much on your defense to get you the ball back.

The future is beyond bright at just about every position. The young guys are itching to get their opportunity to play and the starters cheer them on like it is their own kids or little brothers. Might be the most close knit team Clemson has ever witnessed.

If we are trying to run time off the clock late in the game, where time and protecting the ball takes priority over trying to gain meaningful yards or first down, taking a false start can get us another 25 seconds of time off the clock, as the clock keeps running after the first offensive penalty.

Even though the team has to take it one game at a time, as a fan, the schedule is starting to look really good for Clemson and another trip the playoffs. If we thought a ticket was hard to come by last year (compared to Phoenix), imagine if/when we go to Atlanta.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some thoughts on last night...

Sep 17, 2017, 8:09 AM

Nice post. No turnovers is what pleased me most about the game. Only Clemson can hurt Clemson. Turnovers and lack of focus are the only things that can stop us in my view. The defensive INT was also big.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

""NO TURNOVERS""

Sep 17, 2017, 9:58 AM

That's what made a big difference in the score last night -- hope the trend continues !!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 2,158
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic