Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So my 5-year comes home today with a common core
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1,016

So my 5-year comes home today with a common core

Jan 22, 2015, 7:30 PM

homework assignment. Yeah, I know...homework for 5 year olds. But that's not the issue.

My son knows all of his letters and numbers, can count to a million with no problem. He SHOULD be working on simple reading and writing simple sentences. But his assignment tonight was ridiculous for a 5 year old. They wanted him to essentially write a brief opinion paper. The kind you are taught to write in high school. They wanted him to write an "opinion". The "reason" for that opinion. "Evidence" to back up his opinion, and a "closing statement". I #### you not, those were the instructions. He's having trouble spelling and writing right now because of this crap. I basically had to explain what an opinion was, and why they wanted him to do this. I explained how to do it and basically dictated it to him, meanwhile helping him on the spelling of his words, sentence structure, comas, etc. Then, they left a space long enough for about 2-3 sentences on the paper. They clearly don't understand 5 year olds write LARGE letters.

Never mind that even the instructions do not produce a properly constructed opinion paper. They left out addressing possible differing opinions, a very key part. But wut teh eff? Now I understand totally why he has been having trouble writing and reading, if they're jumping this far ahead.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

let us know what grade you get***

Jan 22, 2015, 7:35 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He gets a 1, 2 or a 3 on his report card. 1 says he's

Jan 22, 2015, 7:43 PM

mastered the skill. 2 says he is meeting expectations, and 3 means he is not proficient (needs work). His report card is all 3's except for a few 2's in reading and writing. I have learned a 2 is actually bad and might as well be a 3. I think he will get letter grades probably by high school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, fun stuff.... I've got an 8 year old and wish

Jan 22, 2015, 7:52 PM

Core was still just inside an apple.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was just dumbfounded. I ended up giving him a

Jan 22, 2015, 8:09 PM

sentence like "My dog likes me because he licks me." That's an opinion, backed up by evidence. But first of all, there is no way he could even understand (or read) the instructions, and do it on his own. It's almost like the homework was written TO the parents. "evidence" "opinion" "Closing statement", etc. are not words and phrases that a 5 year old should be expected to know.

I should have made him write this:

"I think common core stinks. I think this because this homework assignment should be for a 4th grader at least. By jumping too far ahead I am falling behind in simple reading and writing. Someone needs to change this."

this is why there's school shootings

Jan 22, 2015, 8:43 PM

Common core.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my 6 yo JUST finished hers....

Jan 22, 2015, 8:48 PM

sorry, but 3-4 'assignments' a night is a bit much for a 6 yo

more liberal trash...***

Jan 22, 2015, 9:02 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

a million no problem huh, that takes about 6 days straight

Jan 22, 2015, 9:11 PM

with 2 counts per second. That's tough for anyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you sure it's a "common core assignment"***

Jan 22, 2015, 9:18 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They are obviously trying

Jan 22, 2015, 9:53 PM

to push the parents buttons now to identify the trouble makers. That's why I knew early on just let baby mama deal with teachers. She are one, sort of. They beespecially sceared of her. She mean and ugly. Lol. I jess pissed dem off.

Education has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Jan 22, 2015, 10:22 PM

We taught our kids to read and write before school age. I think that's the only way they learn the basics these days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So have you seen where they've changed dates in text books

Jan 22, 2015, 10:42 PM

and reading assignments to no designate "BC" or "AD"? My son came home with a reading assignment that referred to the date as 610 CE (Common Era) instead of "AD". "BCE" (Before Common Era) has replaced "BC".

It means the same thing, why would anyone have a problem

Jan 23, 2015, 5:33 AM

with it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The real question is, why did they change it?***

Jan 23, 2015, 6:14 AM

Per Wiki:

Jan 23, 2015, 9:03 AM

"Since the later 20th century, use of CE and BCE has been popularized in academic and scientific publications and more generally by publishers wishing to emphasize secularism and/or sensitivity to non-Christians."

As a atheist, I can honestly say I don't give a ####. AD was fine with me. However, I have heard CE and BCE since high school 20+ years ago.

I knew that. The secular progressives march on.***

Jan 23, 2015, 9:45 AM

Re: So my 5-year comes home today with a common core

Jan 22, 2015, 11:08 PM

That is more than the UNC players had to do in African American studies.

It really doesn't matter what methodology is applied in our

Jan 23, 2015, 8:34 AM

educational system, the majority of humankind will still end up being shortsighted and unintelligent imbeciles that prefer to be led through life on a choke collar. Which is exactly how I prefer it, speaking as a viciously bloodthirsty warlord bent on world domination, I mean.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It really doesn't matter what methodology is applied in our

Jan 23, 2015, 9:11 PM

yes, but now the short sighted imbeciles have something else to complain about, which distracts them from your more nefarious schemes.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, did SC kill common core or not? I thought they did

Jan 23, 2015, 8:50 AM

but maybe next year?:

Pursuant to Act 200 passed by the General Assembly and signed by the Governor in June 2014, Common Core will only be the basis for instruction and assessment in the 2014-15 school year; SC has initiated the process to develop new, high-level College and Career Ready standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics with the intent of putting those new standards in place for the 2015-16 school year.

http://ed.sc.gov/agency/programs-services/190/

#ACCFTS

SC is building a new testing standard now,

Jan 23, 2015, 9:05 AM

but what OP is talking about is a teaching method, not common core. Teaching methods ain't gonna change.

I see, thanks for the clarification. My son is in 6th grade

Jan 23, 2015, 9:16 AM

and he had ridiculous levels of homework from K-3rd grade; 4th and 5th he had almost none (he had time at school to do it) and now in middle school he has a lot again.

I don't know if all of the extra homework helped or not but at the time it seemed excessive.

#ACCFTS

Just say eff the hw, send him to tech after high school,

Jan 23, 2015, 9:42 AM

then transfer into Clemson after a year or so, then PROFIT.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SC is building a new testing standard now,

Jan 23, 2015, 9:24 AM [ in reply to SC is building a new testing standard now, ]

> but what OP is talking about is a teaching method,
> not common core. Teaching methods ain't gonna change.

Yes they will, they change all the time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, yeah. I guess I should have said that the quality of

Jan 23, 2015, 9:49 AM

teaching methods ain't gonna change.

I can dig that. I think we need to find a happy medium

Jan 23, 2015, 9:51 AM

between the constant coddling American kids get now and what China does to theirs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few years at a labor camp builds character. And iphones.***

Jan 23, 2015, 9:52 AM

#ACCFTS

Are you questioning the ability of our teachers?

Jan 23, 2015, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Well, yeah. I guess I should have said that the quality of ]

DON'T YOU EVER QUESTION WHAT TEACHERS DO

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here is what my kid's 4th grade teacher sent home as

Jan 23, 2015, 10:01 AM
Untitled.jpg(48.0 K)

homework last week. Note that this says "PASS Practice". Kids don't take the PASS test any more, so this is leftover worksheets from years past. A teacher friend of mine found the original questions in a workbook, where they were worded correctly. So some teacher, somewhere along the way (hopefully not my kid's teacher) copied these questions out of a book, and completely mangled them, then my kid's teacher handed them out. Quality.

Let's be honest, a good % of teachers are only teachers

Jan 23, 2015, 10:21 AM

because that was the easiest route in college where they could still get drunk/high every night and manage to pass.

They're like nurses though, don't you ever question how hard they work.

Re: Here is what my kid's 4th grade teacher sent home as

Jan 23, 2015, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Here is what my kid's 4th grade teacher sent home as ]

wow, that is bad lol..

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see you live in Cootlumbia, explain to me how his paper

Jan 23, 2015, 8:54 AM

was about his opinion as to why Gamecock football has seen it's greatest 5 years in history and how now they are going back to being the SEC and Clemson's beyatch.

@Tiggity

Re: nice***

Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 AM

That would have been a better option. After simmering down

Jan 23, 2015, 8:23 PM [ in reply to I see you live in Cootlumbia, explain to me how his paper ]

I'm glad we wrote what we did. It was simple, and fulfilled the requirements. But his coot teacher would have blown a gasket. Funny story....my wife's cousin used to date our son's current teacher in high school. You should see what she posts on Facebook, especially years ago. She was quite the party girl. I will leave it at that. We know ALL about her. I'm glad Mrs. Tiggity's cousin didn't spill the beans until after our first parent-teacher meeting. I'm not sure if I will be able to keep a straight face at the next one.

I think transformers are better than dolls.

Jan 23, 2015, 9:24 AM

Transformers look cool and can blow stuff up on the tv. Dolls cannot blow stuff up on the TV. This seems simple enough for a 5 year, other than the physical writing part.

I think my mom and dad are trying to hide something from me.

Jan 23, 2015, 9:30 AM

I went into their room and they were in the bed, but they yelled at me to get out.

Re: So my 5-year comes home today with a common core

Jan 23, 2015, 10:17 AM

don't you think they were simply trying to get him to go on line and copy his opinion off the internet like older students?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is an attempt to figure out which parents over help

Jan 23, 2015, 11:53 AM

Of course the kid isn't supppose to know about commas and sentence structure and proper spellling. When they see something other than. . .

I lik isecreem becose it taste gud. . . They know you did the work for them

Replies: 38
| visibility 1,016
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic