Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Slive's remarks on CFB Live
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Slive's remarks on CFB Live

May 30, 2012, 5:18 PM

I am all for the Big 12, but I just watched Slive talk about how they are going to push for the top 4 teams to be in the playoff, regardless of whether or not they are conference champions. The SEC pushing for this tends to make me think that the Big 12 will not push for adding 2 more teams. If Slive gets his way and he probably will, then why would the ACC be at anymore of a disadvantage than we currently are???

If the Big 12 can't get assurances that ESPN is going to pay more money for the added 2 teams then I see no reason for them to extend an invitation. I can only see an invitation being extended if the 4 team playoff is required to be made up of conference champions because then I do believe that it would be required that the conference champions come from a conference that has a championship game. Sort of levels the playing field amongst the conference champions.

Again, I am all on the covered wagon for the trip out west, I just see Slive's wishes (and he carries more influence than anyone) being the thing that stops this dead in the water.

I hope not..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Slive's remarks on CFB Live

May 30, 2012, 5:24 PM

> I am all for the Big 12, but I just watched Slive
> talk about how they are going to push for the top 4
> teams to be in the playoff, regardless of whether or
> not they are conference champions. The SEC pushing
> for this tends to make me think that the Big 12 will
> not push for adding 2 more teams. If Slive gets his
> way and he probably will, then why would the ACC be
> at anymore of a disadvantage than we currently
> are???
>
> If the Big 12 can't get assurances that ESPN is going
> to pay more money for the added 2 teams then I see no
> reason for them to extend an invitation. I can only
> see an invitation being extended if the 4 team
> playoff is required to be made up of conference
> champions because then I do believe that it would be
> required that the conference champions come from a
> conference that has a championship game. Sort of
> levels the playing field amongst the conference
> champions.
>
> Again, I am all on the covered wagon for the trip out
> west, I just see Slive's wishes (and he carries more
> influence than anyone) being the thing that stops
> this dead in the water.
>
> I hope not..

Ok, from my perspective the SEC and Big 12 along with the Big and the Pac12 will all vote for the playoffs with the top 4, not conference champs.

Where you are mistaken is that , when that is in place, and the 4 power conferences are at 14 teams or larger, the ACC and Big East will be relegated to a WAC equivilant in football.

The strength of schedule will be biased towards the big 4 conferences. Schools outside of those 4 conferences wi;ll not be able to play schedules that will put them in the mix.

In Essence , you could see 2 or more teams in the final 4, from one conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

osu & thebig12ish just got royaly effed based on that model

May 30, 2012, 5:28 PM

i'm not sure the world outside of the sec wants to see lsu/bama play out again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also on the ESPN angle ...

May 30, 2012, 5:26 PM

ESPN is running this whole game. They are building the replacement for the top division of the NCAA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope you are right....***

May 30, 2012, 5:27 PM

where's York Tiger? I need him to make me

May 30, 2012, 5:28 PM

feel better

Why would Slive get his way? Big Ten guy already said

May 30, 2012, 5:29 PM

he's pushing for top 4 conference champs if they finish in top 6. I'm sure ACC will back something like this as will as the Big East, Pac 12, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

because the other 10 fbs representatives are his puppets?***

May 30, 2012, 5:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hypnosis?***

May 30, 2012, 5:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that or

May 30, 2012, 5:32 PM

vulcan mind trick.

May 30, 2012, 5:30 PM

Not sure why that would keep them from wanting to get to 12 teams...having a conference title game is about money...thats a huge pay day for the conference...IMO that would all the more reason to expand because now you would know you can have a conference title game and you could still get in 2 teams

biggest disadvantage SEC-ACC $$$$$$$$$$

May 30, 2012, 5:41 PM

sc spent 23 million more than CU last year

Re: biggest disadvantage SEC-ACC $$$$$$$$$$

May 30, 2012, 6:04 PM

Exactly but some on here dont seem to think its a big advantage. They are building up their facilities like crazy. I for one am not one bit ok with them continuing to have an advantage over us but I guess some of our fanbase has gotten soft.

SEC/Big XII working closely together on expansion...

May 30, 2012, 6:04 PM

Anyone he says different is wrong

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: SEC/Big XII working closely together on expansion...

May 30, 2012, 6:36 PM

> Anyone he says different is wrong

This is correct.

The Big 12 is in Slive's corner on this one.

This guy explains why pretty well.

http://www.bringonthecats.com/2012/5/28/3047659/conference-realignment-why-is-this-happening-post-1

This is the best part...

"Regardless of which model is chosen (John Swofford has gone on the record to support the Delany model), the results are pretty staggering in regards to what conferences will generally qualify for the playoff. If you prefer the Delany model, the breakdown of participants by conference looks like this (if you were to look at the last ten seasons):

SEC

Big Ten

Pac-12

Big 12

MWC/WAC

Big East

ACC

If you use the SEC preferred model of just taking the top four, in the last ten years, this is the breakdown:

SEC

Big 12

Pac 12

Big Ten

Big East

MWC/WAC

ACC

No matter how you shake it, the top four conferences are the SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, and Pac-12. What's unbelievable is that the ACC, regardless of the model, only had one team qualify under either scenario in the last decade (2007 Virginia Tech. Yes, the same one that lost to Kansas in the Orange Bowl). The supposedly inferior Big East, the mid-major Mountain West, and the essentially extinct WAC conference would have sent more members than the ACC would have since the 2001-2002 season."

like my mom used to say, "you are the company you keep."

May 30, 2012, 7:35 PM

I don't wanna keep ACC company anymore.

No doubt. He runs college football and is looking out for

May 30, 2012, 6:30 PM

his conference. Wish we were in it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No chance in hel l that will fly. There are about

May 30, 2012, 7:09 PM

100 other schools that have a say.

May 30, 2012, 9:10 PM

you are thinking backasswards I think..lol

In all honesty there are a few things about expansion that are pretty important.

1st, slive and Big 12 and Big 10 want top four and not conference champs..ACC wants the conf. champs because that ensures us a seat at the table even in years when we do not deserve it like the last 15 years in a row..lol

That would be better for the big 12 if it were top 4 and make them want to expand even more. With pac10 and big10 linked at the hip and now big12 and sec that means these big 4 conferences have an "in" to the 4 teams super conferences when they are formed and bring together the top 4 football conferences.

for example, if OU runs the table and beats Texas and ends the year #1. Well in the current big12 OU would be in the playoff obviously, but more than likely Texas would be out. With a title game(you need 12 to have one) Texas could all but ensure their entry to the playoff with a victory over OU in the Big 12 title game.

Also a conference championship game will bring around 2 million more per team to the conference.

So, in all reality, a 4 team playoff not HAVING to have conf. champs makes expansion even more likely, especially getting teams like Clemson and FSU

If SOS has anything to do with it, top4 screws the acc14

May 30, 2012, 9:24 PM

Forced 9 game schedule. Only 4 or 5 schools have recently performed at a level to average a computer rank that compares to the 4 leagues above them. That adds up and the 9 game slate discourages strong non-con games as teams will buy games for extra home dates.

Top 4 benefits the Big 12 and SEC who typically perform the best top to bottom.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic