Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scouting Report: Louisville
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 3,698

Scouting Report: Louisville

Sep 12, 2017, 11:27 PM

As a Clemson fan, I was constantly looking for their weaknesses, so excuse the sense of one-sided view. I'll do my best to point out their strengths.

Offense:
-Lamar Jackson is best on zone reads, bootlegs, and everything he improvises, as long as it doesn't concern him throwing the ball.
-Jackson has a constant tendency to step way up in the pocket on passing plays (he's constantly riding the center's or guard's back); this will help him to scramble in the gaps between the tackles, but makes him susceptible to the interior defensive linemen when in the pocket.
-Jackson is still not an accurate passer, but he has definitely improved. You'll see him over and under throwing balls, constantly, but occasionally he'll nail a deep ball. He does not throw well on quick passes or passes where he's running. Louisville has capitalized on splitting cover-2 safeties every game so far... against UNC, Jackson almost screwed it up once with a bad ball.
-The receivers are decent at getting open, and the RBs are solid. The WRs are led by Jalen Smith, who is solid, and the RBs are led by Malik Williams, who is almost as much of a threat as Jackson.
-The OL is above average, but relies on Jackson's ability to improvise late in the play... And it works, so you can't blame them.
-Jackson makes good decisions, but his coaches have really pushed him this year to take less sacks (he was one of the most sacked QBs in the nation last year). Because of this pressure, he's been caught forcing balls instead of throwing it away.

Defense:
-The biggest weakness is their DBs. Constantly getting beat on deep balls, can't cover a crossing play, and has a tough time picking up the TEs.
-Their DL is good. They can get a good rush going with 4 linemen and they'll stop the run with ease. They haven't really faced a dual threat at QB, but they faced Jackson all summer camp, so you can assume they aren't bad there.
-LBs are good at assisting with the run game, but can't cover a receiver very well.
-They've been great at stopping the option game. UNC abandoned it after several failed attempts.

Special Teams:
-Kickoff return coverage is terrible. This is our chance to get great field position! UNC ran one back for a score with an average returner.
-FG unit is decent.
-Punt team is good at coverage, average at kicks.

HOW DOES CLEMSON WIN?
1. DT play will be the most crucial point on defense. Sealing the 'A' gap will force him to take a sack, make an errant throw, or try to move laterally (something he doesn't do too often, surprisingly).
2. If Jackson slips past our DL, will the LBs be there to stop him? Our LBs cannot let him through, otherwise he's in open space and dangerous.
3. Can we stop the run and force Jackson to throw? Making Louisville rely on Jackson's arm is a solid goal to achieve. Get them unblanced early for a one dimensional offense!
4. Can Kelly Bryant open up the run game by taking advantage of Louisville's weak DBs in the passing game? Hint: beat them deep!
5. Can our offense neutralize their defensive front? Can our OL get some push?
6. Can we take advantage in kick return? This might be Powell's coming out party!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Scouting Report: Louisville

Sep 13, 2017, 12:50 AM

Solid work MarineOne. Rewatching the Auburn game, I couldn't help wonder what kind of delayed blitz packages Venables is going to have drawn up for LJ. Especially on passing downs - bringing pressure from different spots and mixing up the timing should help prevent him from making the same adjustments (i.e. where he steps up / rolls out) to escape. I think if we can score 28+, we should be in a position to win. Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2017, 2:43 AM

Louisville Lavarz:
-good quick pass receivers
-good accuracy from lavar at 10-15yd mark
-good deep balls to Fitzpatrick
-good deep ball in weak coverage
-Elite run option
-Elite special zone read ability (esp. if the middle off the line is loose)
-They would rather pass then run, when they run it's usually designed for Lavart the dart.
-Blown coverage or missed tackles could be costly.
-leg tackles are more effective on Lavar than arm tackles, but you risk missing him because of quickness.

Take aways:
-our secondary and depth there will be tested.
-loose zone coverage is the worst coverage.
-don't sleep on Lavar in the 4th quarter. Impressive endurance, quickness doesn't fall off.
-set the edge, contain the middle and force him to run on the outside in scrambles.

For our offense:
Kelly needs to continue developing confidence in his throwing ability to help us win. The confidence will produce quicker pass choices.

Our experience and talent on our receiving corps still shines at times.

We tried it against Auburn but couldn't get the pass off in time, but passes to Feaster could be deadly. Much like the chunk pass plays Oklahoma made with dimitri flowers last weekend.

Lights seem to be coming on for McCloud.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2017, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Scouting Report: Louisville ]

Venebles is a huge proponent of green dogging, but Louisville doesn't have the RB in the backfield blocking too much. We'll see what happens there.

Have they got Jaire Alexander back?***

Sep 13, 2017, 1:59 AM

Re: Have they got Jaire Alexander back?***

Sep 13, 2017, 2:36 AM

Yes he is still there, but questionable due to injury.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

That's what I meant--back from injury.

Sep 13, 2017, 10:13 AM

He's mentioned that his condition is day-to-day.

Re: That's what I meant--back from injury.

Sep 13, 2017, 11:13 AM

It'd be a huge gain to get him back

He likely won't play....be another 2-4 week they think***

Sep 13, 2017, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Have they got Jaire Alexander back?*** ]

Replies: 8
| visibility 3,698
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic