Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
screened porch net- moving on up.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 261

screened porch net- moving on up.

Sep 3, 2018, 2:49 PM

after 20 yrs, a few re-screenings and wood stainings, I'm looking to step up my screen system. Currently, I've got 4x4's vertically and 2x4's horizontally between them, and top and bottom. I started with metal screening, but it's hard to work with. I've been using "dog proof" heavier screen from Lowe's on the lower sections, and fiberglass screening on the upper sections. The fiberglass is easy to work with, but not as durable. Screening is stapled to the wooden substructure, then covered by horizontal firring strips and vertical 1x4's, which are screwed into the substructure and require periodic re-staining, like the rest of the deck.

Now there's "systems" like Screentight (at Lowe's, etc), and powder-coated aluminum,

https://www.screentight.com/

and higher-quality screen like

https://super-screen.com/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsNDD7rif3QIVAl8NCh0BvwkHEAAYAyAAEgJm9PD_BwE

I'm looking at replacing railing around open part of deck, and the screen system for the covered porch. We're currently staining the wood with an opaque stain, and I don't want to stain the exterior trim boards over the screen anymore. Besides, some of the wood has cracked or deteriorated.

Anybody got a recommendation? I'm not burning the deck down.

Message was edited by: NoIntroduction®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe burn the deck up?

Sep 3, 2018, 3:28 PM

I have no idea. Best of luck in your endeavors.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our friends went with this to convert their deck

Sep 3, 2018, 3:34 PM

It’s real nice

I’m sure they have something very similar up near you.

https://www.expresssunrooms.com/porch-panels-greenville/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

yes, I read an article in a contractor industry website that

Sep 3, 2018, 4:43 PM

said many contractors are using pre-made panels like that now, I'll have to check on local availability. Not sure I want the vinyl glazing, but maybe so. So that looks like glass?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can tell up close it’s vinyl

Sep 3, 2018, 4:56 PM

And it flexes in the breeze

Problem is your dog might slit that vinyl with their claws

It’s as easy to replace as the screen though

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

bump for the pretending to work crowd.***

Sep 4, 2018, 8:10 AM

Save the porch, burn the house down.***

Sep 4, 2018, 8:13 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Re: Save the porch, burn the house down.***

Sep 4, 2018, 10:18 AM

https://youtu.be/_3eC35LoF4U

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Replies: 7
| visibility 261
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic