Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ricky Tarrant committed to Memphis.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Ricky Tarrant committed to Memphis.

Apr 20, 2015, 3:25 PM

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/mens-basketball/alabama-transfer-tarrant-commits-to-memphis-tigers_87849985

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ricky Tarrant committed to Memphis.

Apr 20, 2015, 4:13 PM

Was somewhat expected

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, but we have two scholarships that likely will not

Apr 20, 2015, 5:09 PM

help us next year. For a team that didn't even make the NIT, we could use all of the help we can get.

Next year appears to be another rebuilding year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe, but we have two scholarships that likely will not

Apr 20, 2015, 6:14 PM

did you expect any different?

Apr 20, 2015, 6:16 PM

you are a #### fan

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 20, 2015, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Maybe, but we have two scholarships that likely will not ]

We still have opportunities with others and I'd rather save the scholarship for next year than use it on a warm body.

I know we aren't Duke, but they won the National Championship with a short bench.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 20, 2015, 7:05 PM

We will go hard on Mack and Izundu. Mack loves Shaka so he's a long shot. Whoever lands Izundu likely gets probation as his recruitment is as shady as I have ever seen. And I seriously doubt Brownell gets dirty for anyone at this point.

Reed has a visit set for may 5th I think. The only way that happens is if we strike out every where else. Keep an eye out and see if Reed actually comes in. That will tell us alot.

Apr 20, 2015, 8:26 PM

I was hoping for reed anyway. He has had the best college career so far.

Apr 20, 2015, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe, but we have two scholarships that likely will not ]

No shot on Mack or Izundu. Not gonna happen.

Reed would be really nice, but still doesn't change our roster for next year.

Apr 20, 2015, 11:26 PM

I think we do take Reed before we pocket the ship for 16. He's a known commodity. As much as it will suck to have 2 guards sitting next year, I would rather have them with a year in the system than a raw hs kid who would take yet another year to adjust.

Surprised the coaching staff was so unprepared to fill the

Apr 21, 2015, 8:19 AM

available scholarships after 5 years of establishing recruiting relationships, but it is what it is.

If the players are going to sit for a year while using a scholarship, it would be best to get a big man. Smith and Nnoko will be gone after next year and we'll only have Djitte and Robertin.

Re: Surprised the coaching staff was so unprepared to fill the

Apr 21, 2015, 11:20 AM

so you are surprised that we are having trouble finding an ACC calibre player this late in the recruiting process? 99% of D1 kids have signed. There are two top 10 guys unsigned, but you know how that goes. So what do you suppose he does? Takes a body? We are pursuing the top 2 guys that we can get who are unsigned, plus a transfer. Hopefully 1 of them will fall. If not, we move on. Neither of the HS kids can help us next year and the transfer is ineligible. So wither way, next years roster will not be impacted.

No. Read my post again and you will see that my point was

Apr 24, 2015, 9:14 AM

that he had plenty of notice that he needed to recruit other players, yet here we are. Again.

The fact that it is this late in the process is nobody's fault but his. That is just an excuse. He can't seem to recruit enough players each year to fill his roster. Next year we will lose 3 seniors and a probably at least one transfer. Not sure he can find enough good players to fill 3-4 spots. He always seems to be a year or two behind as he leaves scholarships unfilled or fills them with players that can't help us for two year.

You do realize most programs don't have all 13

Apr 24, 2015, 9:22 AM

scholarship spots filled with recruited players don't you? With 700 transfers a year and that number growing, the ease with which players leave makes that almost an impossibility. Players want to play, so when they aren't they leave. Very few players are willing to stay and possibly develop anymore. And who plays 13 guys anyway? Right now we have 10 sure to play, one developmental guy in Robertin who really should red shirt, and the transfer who will sit. Most rotations don't even go 10 deep

You do realize that we didn't even make the NIT and we

Apr 24, 2015, 9:37 AM

definitely need better talent than that which is currently on the roster. Grantham started as a freshman due to that fact.

Plus, given that it takes time to develop the typical players he is signing, wouldn't you rather get them this year and have them ready to go in two years as opposed to waiting another year to sign a player that will need at least two years to develop?

I want to believe that Brownell can get it done, but the truth is that progress has been excruciatingly slow. Not using scholarships each year and then signing developmental/projects players and transfers with those scholarships a year later further slows the process. It IS possible for Clemson to have a good basketball program. It doesn't have to take 7 years to have a good team.

Grantham played as a freshman because

Apr 24, 2015, 9:58 AM

for only the fourth time in school history a player left for the pros early. You tell me how any school other than the elites can plan and compensate for that? Not one person saw KJ leaving last year when we were recruiting. No way they could have. Also not sure how you think we won't be better next season. For the very first time under Brownell we actually return our best and most talented players.

Re: Grantham played as a freshman because

Apr 24, 2015, 10:03 AM

Grantham also played as a freshman because he's got a lot of talent.

When is the last time we had a freshman as talented as Donte? Trevor Booker?

We lost 1 player, returned 8 and didn't even make the NIT.

Apr 24, 2015, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Grantham played as a freshman because ]

That tells us two things. KJ was good. The other guys, not so much. Coach Brownell recruited all of those guys, not just KJ.

Yes, we should be better next year. But, the lack of improvement in the overall roster from the previous year was a huge surprise considering Coach Brownell's assumed strength as a developer of talent. The team regressed as the year went on, which was a surprise considering Coach Brownell's teams supposedly get better over the course of a year due to his coaching abilities. Given that lack of player development and season-long regression of the team, it is reasonable to assume a similar outcome going forward is very possible.

Does Coach Brownell have some excuses that can be pointed to for the slow progress in building a team? Yes he does. Every team does. But, with the glacial improvement in recruiting, those problems seem magnified for him and his staff.

Our basketball team isn't performing as well as we all would like over the last 4 years after 4 years of NCAA tournaments. There are reasons for that. Some are Clemson related and some are coaching staff related. Losing is uncomfortable. I'm just pointing out facts, however uncomfortable they may be.

I like Coach Brownell and want him to succeed, but I love Clemson basketball more.

What will you say if we don't make the tournament next year?

Re: You do realize that we didn't even make the NIT and we

Apr 24, 2015, 10:02 AM [ in reply to You do realize that we didn't even make the NIT and we ]

Grantham started as a Freshmen due to KJ leaving which no one predicted last year.

Grantham SHOULD have been a player coming off the bench. He was thrown into the fire due to KJ leaving.

null

Re: No. Read my post again and you will see that my point was

Apr 24, 2015, 9:57 AM [ in reply to No. Read my post again and you will see that my point was ]

Good lord are you really bumping 3 day old threads to continue your same monotonous misinformed ##### sessions?

null

Apr 21, 2015, 6:34 AM [ in reply to Maybe, but we have two scholarships that likely will not ]

Face one key fact. Our basketball program has hit rock bottom. Brownell can't sucessfully recruit quality high school kids or attract quality players to Clemson. Another rebuilding year will put him on a hot seat with one more year to save his job.

Apr 21, 2015, 8:08 AM

So much BS in one post.

null

Rock bottom? Not much of a CU hoops historian

Apr 21, 2015, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe, but we have two scholarships that likely will not ]

are you?

Rock bottom? Not much of a CU hoops historian

Apr 21, 2015, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe, but we have two scholarships that likely will not ]

are you?

Your basketball IQ is that of a full-fledged ######.***

Apr 21, 2015, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe, but we have two scholarships that likely will not ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Your basketball IQ is that of a full-fledged ######.***

Apr 21, 2015, 5:37 PM

That is insulting to retards.

null

Re: Ricky Tarrant committed to Memphis.

Apr 20, 2015, 5:53 PM

I wonder what kind of affect these graduates with one year eligibility remaining have on team morale. At least with the one and dones you don't actually know there done until they announce after the season is over. Either way I'd prefer transfers that have some long-term commitment to the program.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic