Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Playoff question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Playoff question

Dec 30, 2017, 9:52 PM

After some back and forth with a few Ohio State game tonight, I'd like to know what other reasonable people's opinion is. My question is, should a team have to win there division/conference to participate in the playoff and why? I've got my opinion but would like to here others

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes***

Dec 30, 2017, 9:53 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: yes***

Dec 30, 2017, 9:56 PM

And the "why"?

Dec 30, 2017, 9:57 PM

because if you aren't the best team in your conference, it's difficult to be the best team in the nation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2017, 12:29 AM

But bama might be the best team in the SEC. Lost to Auburn by less than Georgia did, but didn't get a shot at a rematch.

yes

Dec 30, 2017, 9:58 PM

unless it is Clemson

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My answer is no and here's why

Dec 30, 2017, 10:06 PM

What you're essentially saying is it's ok to lose, just don't lose to a good team. You can lose to a Stacie or an Iowa State or even Pittsburgh, but you better not lose to a good team such as Auburn that could potentially finish ahead of you in your conference standings. I hate saying it's ok to lose as long as it's to a bad team. Not a Bama fan, but of all the teams in the playoffs losses, Alabama is by far the best, is there is such a thing.

Re: My answer is no and here's why

Dec 30, 2017, 10:10 PM

Obviously meant Syracuse and Iowa State. Dang auto correct

Wisc should have just stayed home and not played Oh St

Dec 30, 2017, 10:37 PM

one extra week of rest and no loss or injuries to worry about, then bama wouldn't have made it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Playoff question

Dec 30, 2017, 10:01 PM

No. If Clemsons only loss would have been to let's say a 2 loss Miami team in the ACCCG. You do not think we should be there. To many scenarios to say only conference champs. If Cuse would have won out we would not even have played for the ACC or won the division. When we were without a daught one of the best 4.

The committee does need to be consistent with the way they manage it though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As long as we have just a 4 team playoff, only conference

Dec 30, 2017, 10:05 PM

champs should be eligible. Think about it...if you have to win your conference, all the committee has to do is decide which champ to leave out and seed the four that make it. This will take most of the subjectivity out of the process, and eliminates the possibility of a team getting an extra week off, like Bama did this year.

With this setup, we would basically have a ten team playoff. Narrowed down to five with the CCGs, then the committee just has to decide which of the five is least deserving for the playoff.

The main reason it isn't done this way, is the powers that be like controversy, they think it increases interest, and maybe they are right!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As long as we have just a 4 team playoff, only conference

Dec 30, 2017, 10:08 PM

I disagree with one point. The reason it isn't conference champions is one reason and one reason only. Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is a great reason to make it only conf champs.***

Dec 29, 2019, 10:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 30, 2017, 10:17 PM [ in reply to As long as we have just a 4 team playoff, only conference ]

Potential to have 2 loss teams in over 1 loss teams that are more deserving.

I think you have to eliminate divisions in leagues and put the best 2 in the league championship games. To create a defacto quarter final.

Dec 31, 2017, 1:48 AM [ in reply to As long as we have just a 4 team playoff, only conference ]

I think most people miss the point that the CFP, LLC job is to put what they deem are the four best against each other. Conference championships are just another data point that may help. Got nothing to do with deserving or winning conference, though. It's whether that committee thinks about who's the best four teams.

Yes

Dec 30, 2017, 10:20 PM

Of course.

Definitely not.

Dec 30, 2017, 10:40 PM

There could be a situation where there is no questioning that the 2 best teams are in the same conference.

Dec 31, 2017, 2:40 AM

My opinion is yes. Why? Two reasons. First, it eliminates the corrupt beauty contest. Joel Klatt had this correct. At the next to last cfp ranking, the committee said the margin between teams 5-8 was razor thin. The following week, team 8 (OSU) wins their conference and collects a quality win, but still does not jump over idle number 5 (Bama). Two, I think it eliminates the advantage of not playing in your conference championship. Bama effectively got a playoff bye. That is just wrong.

Dec 31, 2017, 2:51 AM

Could hurt more than help. Another week for rust.

Dec 31, 2017, 2:46 AM

Very cootish, Ohio St just got what Penn St got last year so this is a bs question. It should be obvious

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic