Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Baseball questtion for the well informed ..........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Baseball questtion for the well informed ..........

May 3, 2013, 9:19 PM

I have been actively involved in baseball at some level for more than 60 years and thought that I knew the game very well. Tonight, in a youth recreational league game I disagreed with the ump on a call. Let me know your thoughts if you know the game,

The situation was ... runners on first and second, no outs. The batter hit a pop up to second base, The ump immediately called "batter out" infield fly rule. (correct call) The fielder did not catch the fly ball, therefore the runners were free to run at their own discretion. The runner on second made an effort to go to third but returned to second. The throw to the shortstop got to the base before the runner and he was called out. This was my argument .. since the ball was not caught, it was not a force out and the runner had to be tagged to be out. I always chose not to create a scene in youth ball but I am going to bring it to the umps attention in private. Am I right or wrong????

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baseball questtion for the well informed ..........

May 3, 2013, 9:29 PM

I agree with you, as you said the force outs are no longer in play in this situation. The runners should be free to advance and have to be tagged out.

I thought

May 3, 2013, 9:40 PM

The runners had to return to their bases on an infield fly regardless of being caught or not.

Re: I thought

May 3, 2013, 9:55 PM

I am sure that the runners can run at their own discretion. The question is ... is it a force out or not
I am convinced (in my own mind) that it is NOT a force out situation..

You're right in this situation it wasn't a force out. Only

May 3, 2013, 9:59 PM

a force out if the fielder catches the ball.

See below

May 3, 2013, 9:45 PM

When the rule is invoked, the batter is out (and all force plays removed) regardless of whether the ball is caught, thus negating the possibility for multiple outs.

If that is the case, as soon as call made all runners could

May 3, 2013, 9:53 PM

advance while the ball was still in the air, but on the other hand, when do you tag up? Somebody get the rule book!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If that is the case, as soon as call made all runners could

May 3, 2013, 9:58 PM

You can run as soon as the ball is hit. If it is caught by a fielder, then you must return to your base safely. In this case, the ball was not caught therefore the runners could run or not but would only be out if they were tagged out. IMO!

In my estimation you are right

May 4, 2013, 8:37 AM [ in reply to If that is the case, as soon as call made all runners could ]

but the ball becomes live as soon as it IS caught or touches the ground.

when infield fly is called the batter is out and everything

May 3, 2013, 9:58 PM

else plays out like a regular fly ball. If caught the runners must tag before advancing. If dropped the runners can advance without tagging and in this situation it would not be a force out at any base.

http://www.littleleague.org/learn/rules/ruleinterpretations/0709ruleinterpretationsept07.htm

Re: when infield fly is called the batter is out and everything

May 3, 2013, 10:06 PM

Thanks. That clarifies it for me. Don't know it the guy in blue will agree but he will get a chance to read this rule.

Re: when infield fly is called the batter is out and everything

May 4, 2013, 1:06 AM

Being a former youth umpire I agree with your call. If I was back on the field I would have would not called the runner out. You are right in your call.

Re: Baseball questtion for the well informed ..........

May 4, 2013, 3:04 AM

like everybody else is saying, it is not a force. once the infield fly rule is called, the batter is out, which means there is no longer anything forcing the runners to advance, so they would have to be tagged out for any move on the base paths they choose to make

It was the perfect call

May 4, 2013, 5:21 AM

when you "chose not to create a scene in youth ball". Wish everyone had that attitude.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really hate this rule..should just be a dead ball and play

May 4, 2013, 8:14 AM

over..the reason I say this is because I used this to our advantage.We had a play when if it was a infield fly situation,and a pop up were hit,i'd yell "Rhino"which meant the fielder would drop the ball on purpose.Most kids in little league would then take off to the next bag not knowing the rule,resulting in an easy out.Double play...Dirty ball ball but effective.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic