Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In-ground Pool Costs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

In-ground Pool Costs

May 15, 2018, 10:58 AM

My wife & kids as well as my brother have been putting the bug in my Dad's ear to build a pool. He is thinking about doing so and building a pool house this summer. Do you guys have any idea what an in-ground pool costs these days? They are budgeting around $20k for the pool but I feel like it will be a good bit more than that. The pool house is not included in my numbers. Thanks and if the pool gets built, we can all wang out and do some ecstasy while listening to EDM.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a realtor told me recently $40k

May 15, 2018, 10:59 AM

but that's Mt P, so....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So $30k in Clover (lulz) might be reasonable

May 15, 2018, 10:59 AM

That was my gut feeling for numbers.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i was going to convert to clover dollars

May 15, 2018, 11:01 AM

but figured i'd give you the day off on that.

Same as Camel Cash, IIRC***

May 15, 2018, 11:01 AM

sounds like they are looking at it for recreational use

May 15, 2018, 11:03 AM

and not to add value, but she said it might get you an extra $4k--$6k when selling, so it's not really a great addition in terms of that

He will never move from this house, so ROI is not a concern.

May 15, 2018, 11:07 AM

If it sells for alot, my brothers and I get to split that. Probably not a sound investment. We had one at our old house that he built. He hated taking care of it, so it will probably fall on my shoulders and my brother's.

have you considered

May 15, 2018, 11:03 AM

having your Dad buy you a new 4Runner and installing a very nice Slip 'n Slide at his house?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: have you considered

May 15, 2018, 11:06 AM

Had in ground pool installed last year. To be honest, 20k isnt going to get you very far. For a decent sized vinyl lind pool I think around 40k

Re: In-ground Pool Costs

May 15, 2018, 11:05 AM

30-40k easily

since your in clover, just go to sunbelt, rent an excavator, dig a bigass hole, then put down a big piece of plastic. Only cost you a couple thous maybe

Parents built a pool in 1986

May 15, 2018, 11:18 AM
00605.JPG(182.1 K)
03304.JPG(184.2 K)

In ground. Had a hot tub/spa with 6 jets + a blower. Heater. Orchard stone deck. Rock fountain that went into the pool, a tanning ledge, lights for swimming at night. Also built a 6-foot retaining wall from orchard stone as well.

Add in landscape lighting and that backyard was freaking awesome. Had hydrangeas, elephant ears, banana trees, and palmetto trees around the pool. Was also in the shade a lot, so leaves sucked in the fall.

Thing ended up being a money trap. Had to redo the gunnite twice. Two heaters died. Maintenance was a big time killer, then it was just expensive. Ended up being like a boat after a while.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The dogs like it!***

May 15, 2018, 11:20 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would you have anything but concrete within

May 15, 2018, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Parents built a pool in 1986 ]

4 feet of a pool? I mean, sure, looks awesome. But fucgk sweeping all those leaves out all the time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Re: Why would you have anything but concrete within

May 15, 2018, 11:32 AM

yeah. wife wants a pool in the next house. I told her that there can't be an oak tree on the property. f cleaning up after that. Also no gum trees. just as bad as an oak

I've grown to hate both of those trees***

May 15, 2018, 11:33 AM

Re: I've grown to hate both of those trees***

May 15, 2018, 11:34 AM

I've got an oak in the back, and 2 gums in the front. Neighbor has a gum in the back that overhangs my property.

fukkin sucks.

Neighbor has an oak in the back

May 15, 2018, 11:37 AM

Dammm tree sheds leaves in the fall AND the spring. WT H? How does that even work?

Re: Neighbor has an oak in the back

May 15, 2018, 11:48 AM

It's year round. Not to mention all of the twigs that drop constantly. The gum trees also drop those dammm balls in spring and fall. I've almost busted my a.ss several times

Just walk barefoot and problem solved.***

May 15, 2018, 12:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just walk barefoot and problem solved.***

May 15, 2018, 12:46 PM

It would be more comfortable to walk on mouse traps

Then get one of these

May 15, 2018, 1:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ynWbjI7XA

It wasn't bad. We used a blower to blow the deck.

May 15, 2018, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Why would you have anything but concrete within ]

The big tree that gave the awesome shade was the problem. In the fall it added a LOT of maintenance because leaves in the pool. BUT, it kept it cool in the summer and the pool never got over 79 degrees. It could be one month into a 100-degree heat wave, and that pool would be cold when others were like bath water.

Also ran into an in-ground spring, so they had to have a sump pump at the bottom beneath the pool for the few times we had to drain the pool. If you drained it totally, the pool could pop/float up out of the ground.

Didn't you say your dad has a backhoe?

I'm sure you have access to industrial sized rolls of plastic sheeting. I bet you can do this for under $3k.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That backhoe is apparently a myth. He bought one, but it

May 15, 2018, 11:08 AM

doesn't work and has never made it to the house. Either he got hosed or he never actually paid for it. I quit asking about it.

a buddy spent $75K on his.

He finished it last year, and its a mineral water/chlorine generator pool. It has a heat pump installed as well. That included the concrete approx half way around the pool and all the plumbing etc.

A couple more things..

May 15, 2018, 11:19 AM

Its not an infinity pool (but looks like it from in the pool due to how his lot is graded) I think its 8' deep at the deep end and he had a "shamu" shelf shallow end built.

If I were building one, I'd build a bigger "Shamu" shelf in it. That end gets used by everyone.

your christmas bonus should cover it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can make it as expensive as you want.

Here in Tucson, the average one will cost you around $28k-30k (basic rectangle, 10ft deep, etc). We did a lot of research on it when we were househunting, but ended up buying a house with a pool, so I didn't have to come up with that. My mandate for moving back to this hellhole was that I will have a house with a pool so I can drink beer outside when its 110.

A very popular style out here is a wading pool...deepest end is 5 1/2 feet. So no diving, but still plenty big enough for swimming, playing around, and sechsing the wife in the great outdoors under the moonlight.

Make sure you convince him to get the Pebble-tec liner (if they have that in Clover), and don't go with anything cheaper than a cartridge filter. I made the mistake of buying a sand filter, and it doesn't do #### for cleaning.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I found Greenr!

May 15, 2018, 11:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDE-fju7i9Q

I still want to throw the lawnmower at that girl***

May 15, 2018, 11:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've always assumed every teenage girl is like this to their

May 15, 2018, 11:42 AM

Dad...so ergo if I had a daughter I would just immediately put her up for adoption and save me the future headache

It's Clover. Just get one of them above ground Italian pools

May 15, 2018, 11:19 AM

No need to show up the entire town.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Already got one for the catfish farm.***

May 15, 2018, 11:21 AM

Now you need a 2nd one for birthing and bathing.***

May 15, 2018, 11:22 AM

Re: It's Clover. Just get one of them above ground Italian pools

May 15, 2018, 11:29 AM [ in reply to It's Clover. Just get one of them above ground Italian pools ]

one of my partners spent about $90k about two years ago

May 15, 2018, 11:26 AM

on a gunite pool. He went over the top though. I've been planning a pool and budgeting around $40k

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure thats really over the top.

May 15, 2018, 11:32 AM

I don't know what a $40K pool would look like.

But if you planned to do much entertaining around it, I'd think I'd spring for the closer to $90K pool so you don't look like a UDPer.

my lot is not large enough for a $90k pool

May 15, 2018, 11:35 AM

mine will be closer to a Key West style plunge pool

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Key West Style??

May 15, 2018, 11:41 AM

full of teh gheys?

one can hope***

May 15, 2018, 11:42 AM

Re: In-ground Pool Costs

May 15, 2018, 11:41 AM

Greenr

I'm sure you've been awaiting my $0.02 on this ($3.50 in Clover cash).

Our gunite pool was installed in 1983. The gunite has never been replaced, painted, or serviced. It doesn't look great... but it looks good enough for the wife not to complain about it. Friends and family swim in it without complaining.

Maintenance can be a bear. When I bought the house, the pool had been empty for a few years and none of the pump/filters were worth a crap. I tried to get by with an undersized pump and sand filter that I got for free, started studying Troublefreepool.com's forum and bought a Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine test kit. Once I got my chemicals right, I just added a gallon of bleach a day and checked my pH and Chlorine once every few weeks and did it that way. Tandal bleach from Aldi is the best bang for the buck. I'd buy it by the truckload. That was somewhat of a pain in the asss, but way cheaper than buying the bulljive chemicals from the pool store.

THEN, I bought a used salt cell from Ebay, repaired it, and have been running a saltwater pool for 2 years. I haven't done jack squat to the pool other than cleaning out leaves and adding water when the level drops. It's ridiculously easy and cheap.

For a pool cleaner, I have a Polaris 360 that is about 20 years old. I have to put a decent amount of time and money into keeping it running, but if I breakdown and buy a new one, I will go with another Polaris.

I also built a duck pond a few y ears ago when I had pet ducks. The best way is to dig your hole, line with used carpet padding (call your local carpet retailers), and cover with heavy plastic. I found a website that sells used billboard tarps, that's a cheap way to get a pond liner. Actually that's what I use for a pool cover, but I didn't even cover my pool this year.

In summary:
Used billboard tarps are a great way to get cheap heavy duty tarpaulins.
Troublefreepool.com for everything pool maintenance
Saltwater is the only way to go
Polaris 360
Pet ducks are a bad idea if you have dogs or varmints.
8.25% Tandal Bleach

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Trust me, I'm an architect.

May 15, 2018, 11:44 AM

it's time to start thinking outside the box/ground.

Re: Trust me, I'm an architect.

May 15, 2018, 11:46 AM

Those kids are tan as helll. You must be from south Italy.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

If you're going have a pool, do it right.

May 15, 2018, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Trust me, I'm an architect. ]

Make it portable:

Or more permanent:

Mom spent about 40K 2 years ago***

May 15, 2018, 11:46 AM

...on counseling for McLovin and McSister***

May 15, 2018, 11:55 AM

NICE***

May 15, 2018, 12:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

McLovin still gets erections at family gatherings, but he's

May 15, 2018, 12:08 PM [ in reply to ...on counseling for McLovin and McSister*** ]

working on it.

he's working on it.

Maybe you won't want that pool next year

May 15, 2018, 11:58 AM

Or maybe you want to make it "semi" permanent

May 15, 2018, 11:59 AM

Guy on the lake has added an entire addition and

May 15, 2018, 12:08 PM

porch to his house using storage containers. Yes, it looks as bad as you think.

Yeah that sounds terrible***

May 15, 2018, 12:17 PM

30K down here 13 years ago when we were considering it.***

May 15, 2018, 12:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we just joined the country club

May 15, 2018, 12:55 PM

but given the fact that the country club seems to be on verge of insolvency all the time, we may be headed back to the pool idea.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In my experience, country clubs are almost perfect,

May 15, 2018, 12:59 PM

with the exception of the members.

Been a member of two now and I'm done with the concept. Don't golf, I can play tennis anywhere, I joined a little modest community pool up here, and I'm tired of paying a food minimum to be surrounded by dooshbags and their wives and spawn.

Both times, I discovered that the staff were the people I most liked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's been a good way for the kids to meet people

May 15, 2018, 1:17 PM

as well as for my wife after moving here from another city. However, I completely agree with the entire rest of your point. we just did the swim/social membership since I quit golf a long time ago. So we are barely paying anything and we have double everything since it's technically two clubs in one. Which might be why they seem so broke.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its odd how that works.

May 15, 2018, 1:51 PM [ in reply to In my experience, country clubs are almost perfect, ]

I'd much rather hang out with the folks who work at the marina than most of the people who pay to be there.

We went to Savannah during some sort of hospital conference

May 15, 2018, 2:12 PM

Lots of doctors, nurses, administrators, etc. A good many people around our age...you know, young professionals. Who do we end up drinking beer and taking shots with late into evening? A couple of messicans who were in town putting down fiber optic cable.

I don't care what they think, the upper echelon's of fru fru society do not have as much fun as the rest of us.

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic