Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Without the actions of Mr. Ben Tillman
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,394

Without the actions of Mr. Ben Tillman

Jul 17, 2015, 5:53 PM

Mr. Clemson's gift would have never even been accepted by the legislature of the State of South Carolina. Clemson simply would not have been founded. Our beloved university, Clemson, has done way more for this State than any other University in this State in terms of economic impact and improving the lIves of so many citizens of this State post bellum.

Yes he was a racist, but his contributions to this State mitigate the fact that he was a racist. He was a vox populi, a voice of the people.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeo, thx goodness for Ben...good & bad considered!

Jul 17, 2015, 6:16 PM

Hey, if you & yours in the last 450 years have been perfect, let me know and I'll keep my pile of stones.

Thx Ben for "helping" little Clemson A&M have a start.

GoTiGERS

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Without the actions of Mr. Ben Tillman

Jul 17, 2015, 6:17 PM

Where does this foolishness stop. There are lots of skeletons all around this state and nation. Are we going to go back and change the names of every monument or building. I guess the Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson monuments will have to be renamed. South Carolina College, the predecessor of Univ. of South Carolina actually owned slaves. Anything named after Obama will have to be changed because in my opinion, he is the biggest racist of them all!

Jul 17, 2015, 6:28 PM

Ben is no longer a racist.Tillman Hall is a building.Why would
any student or prof.be insulted by the name.The name Tillman Hall
was there before the gripers came there.Maybe they can go to another
school.Most schools in the South have some kind history that the pc
police wouldn't like.I'm not trying too sound racist but most African
Americans have names,that came from slave owners.Will they change their
name?I think not.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Flawed premise to your conclusion: Clemson would still be here

Jul 17, 2015, 7:34 PM

You assumption is that if Ben Tillman couldn't pull it off, then no one could. Clemson may have been founded a few years later anyway.

Re: Flawed premise to your conclusion: Clemson would still be here

Jul 17, 2015, 7:41 PM

Monetary and/or political contributions do not mitigate being a violent , racist bigot . In any era , at any location , under any circumstance .
Wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Unfortunately In The 1800s a Very Small Portion of America

Jul 17, 2015, 7:40 PM

Was Enlightened to The Wrongs of Slavery. It's Amazing The Vitriolic Rhetoric That Special Interest Groups Spew to Advance Their Message. Bottom Line Humans Are Flawed They Are Mostly a Mixed Bag of Good and Bad. By This Logic Most All The Founding Fathers Should Have Their Legacies Erased. Murica Becoming a Very Much a Knee-Jerk Dance Party.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2015, 9:19 PM

Sounds reasonable and lucid, accept for the flawed premise, actually 2 of them. Without Tillman the state legislature would have still accepted the gift. There were 8 other trustees.

And he wasn't just a racist. He killed people. Even for his time he was overtly brutal who would have fit in well with the Einsatzgruppen in the 20th century as they massacred the Jews.

You seem to believe that having murdered innocent black people just isn't enough of a mitigating factor to stop honoring him because of his contribution to a small public college.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But all that white guilt and so much to change...

Jul 18, 2015, 3:02 PM

ignore the morons, bro.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,394
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic