Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why did Swofford meet with the Clemson BOT/Barker?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Why did Swofford meet with the Clemson BOT/Barker?

Sep 14, 2012, 11:40 AM

Pure speculation:

Swofford and the ACC needed someone on board (FB wise) that would help with the negotiations. The obvious choices were either CU or FSU since these were the schools that were rumored to be thinking of leaving. Clemson pretty much came out and said we weren't leaving the ACC (behind the scenes I think talks were going on) and that we were happy with the ACC. FSU wasn't a consideration since the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing down there; plus no one @ FSU can keep their mouth shut.

Another reason Swoffie looked to CU is that in addition to being a founding member of the ACC, the general media perception (and the truth) is that CU is doing things the right way. Our University is obviously highly respected, as is Barker. The facts are Clemson/Barker played a major role in the deal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you nailed it on the head...***

Sep 14, 2012, 11:43 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why did Swofford meet with the Clemson BOT/Barker?

Sep 14, 2012, 11:43 AM

You are correct in your assumption. Furthermore, FSU is pissed at Barker and CU because we backed Swoofie and approved the $50Million buyout.

Re: Why did Swofford meet with the Clemson BOT/Barker?

Sep 14, 2012, 11:57 AM

One more reason to woop that a$$ next week. GO TIGERS!!!!

To get to the other side?***

Sep 14, 2012, 11:44 AM

Wrong - the BOT summoned Swoffie

Sep 14, 2012, 11:44 AM

Not the other way around..

"Here Wego!"

Sep 14, 2012, 11:47 AM

You're wrong.

Sep 14, 2012, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Wrong - the BOT summoned Swoffie ]

He said 'speculation,' and you're interjecting fact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link...Pics...source? you could be right...I don't have a

Sep 14, 2012, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Wrong - the BOT summoned Swoffie ]

clue....or maybe it was just reported that the BOT summoned Swoffie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why is this an issue? It's normal procedure for a major....

Sep 14, 2012, 11:47 AM

conference decision like this for the commissioner to speak with the BOT before a conference-wide vote is held. Why do people think something "suspicious" was going on?

you are wrong...

Sep 14, 2012, 11:50 AM

It was the first time Swofford had ever addressed an entire BOT... and he didn't meet with any other schools.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

nothing you say regarding conference realignment is credible

Sep 14, 2012, 11:52 AM

opinions or sources.

then don't read it***

Sep 14, 2012, 11:55 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

That's not true - if he doesn't meet in person then....

Sep 14, 2012, 11:55 AM [ in reply to you are wrong... ]

it's a conference call. A school's BOT is not kept in the dark until a major decision like admitting ND is made.

that's not what you said....

Sep 14, 2012, 11:57 AM

I said he hadn't met with an entire BOT... I didn't say they didn't know.

He came to Clemson and met with our BOT. According to your theory, what other schools did he go meet with?

So he called the other 13 schools, but met with CU?

It was swaffie's first trip to out BOT meeting.

Sep 14, 2012, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Why is this an issue? It's normal procedure for a major.... ]

I'm not sure but I don't think he has the power to call our BOT together.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The BOT is not kept in the dark - if not in person then ....

Sep 14, 2012, 11:56 AM

there are conference video/telephone calls.

I figured Swoffsticles came to tell CU about the ND deal

Sep 14, 2012, 11:49 AM

that was in the works - to keep CU from bailing to the Large 12.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it was our Advisory Committee's plan and we called..

Sep 14, 2012, 11:52 AM

swaffie and laid down the law. Our way or the highway!

Yes, I wear a tinfoil hat cause both concepts make me sleep better at night. Barker led the negotiations.

and to seek our help...don't think the deal goes down

Sep 14, 2012, 12:08 PM [ in reply to I figured Swoffsticles came to tell CU about the ND deal ]

without our buy in...in other words if CU/FSU were leaving...ND wasn't coming. Don't forget that the Big XII was trying to work a similar deal.

Also remember how FSU/CU were a package deal to Big XII...then all of a sudden it wasn't CU but someone else with FSU. If I remember correctly dropping CU out of the conversation happened around the same time that "The Meeting" took place. I think that the Big XII got wind that we were fully behind the ACC and targeting ND and started trying to wiggle in with someone else.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic