Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What does "retired number" mean?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

What does "retired number" mean?

Mar 6, 2014, 11:00 AM

Serious question - I don't understand the point of saying "retired number" if someone else is going to wear it. I just watched the Spiller retirement of his number from 2010 and the announcer said "number 28 is retired forever", so what does that mean?

Shouldn't the term be "honorary retirement", because apparently "retired number" doesn't mean what it used to.

What if one of the kids on the team, non-starter, said he wants to wear #28. Why shouldn't he be allowed to wear #28? What do you tell that kid - you can't tell him he can't wear it because it's retired.....you can only say, sorry, you're not worthy, but DW who has yet to suit up for a game is worthy of wearing a retired number.

I'm still waiting on some quotes from Fuller as to how this went down. Dabo says Fuller was "excited about it"......that is 180 degrees from his opinion about someone wearing his retired jersey the last time this came up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What does "retired number" mean?

Mar 6, 2014, 11:01 AM

Dabo explained it. Fuller was ok w it. why does he need to say anything to anyone at this point?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

74 - what's wrong with hearing from Fuller?

Mar 6, 2014, 11:13 AM

Fuller is arguably the single most important football player in Clemson history. Clyde Wrenn told me that Fuller was the player that changed Clemson footbali......Fuller is not just some good player that came through DV.

I'm curious as to what Fuller has to say about it. Given Fuller's feelings about the issue last time it came up, I can't see him being "excited" about it now. He may have softened his opinion about it, but "excited"?

Had I been honored to have my number retired I wouldn't be vocal against someone wearing it again, but I wouldn't want it worn again and I certainly wouldn't be "excited" about someone else wearing it.

So what you're saying is

Mar 6, 2014, 11:19 AM

Fuller is still willing to put the program ahead of himself, whereas you would be selfish about it.

Got it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

He's only allowing his number to be used if DW wears a patch

Mar 6, 2014, 11:23 AM

on his jersey with Fuller's name and years he played.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not selfish at all, it is not my number! I believe that

Mar 6, 2014, 11:48 AM [ in reply to So what you're saying is ]

when you HONOR someone for what they have done for the team, university and national prominence----YOU HONOR THAT! RETIRED MEANS RETIRED! That being said, I'm glad DW is here and wish him the best but this is wrong!

Re: So what you're saying is

Mar 6, 2014, 12:08 PM [ in reply to So what you're saying is ]

> Fuller is still willing to put the program ahead of
> himself, whereas you would be selfish about it.
>
> Got it.

So you're saying Fuller was "selfish" the last time this was brought up and he was opposed to his number being worn?

Why would you call Fuller selfish for cherishing something that Clemson honored him with, which was retiring his number, which used to mean it was never to be worn again.

You call that selfish? Got it.

....and what the university is saying is, we'll honor you by

Mar 6, 2014, 12:20 PM

retiring your number!....unless someone else comes along that wants it then we'll have to talk about it.

Fuller played in the late 70s. A lot of current

Mar 6, 2014, 11:20 AM [ in reply to 74 - what's wrong with hearing from Fuller? ]

Clemson players never saw him play. Now his legacy will be renewed. How many times do you think the Fuller to Butler catch will be shown whenever DW steps on the field now? I'd bet it's shown a lot. To people who have never seen it before, as well. Who wouldn't be happy with having their highlight reel shown 35 years after they played?

All of the current players weren't even born when Fuller

Mar 6, 2014, 12:17 PM

played here.

then why put Howards Rock at the top of the hill ten?***

Mar 6, 2014, 12:21 PM

I meant fans haha. My bad***

Mar 6, 2014, 12:42 PM [ in reply to All of the current players weren't even born when Fuller ]

Well the best thing you can do is give Steve Fuller

Mar 6, 2014, 11:31 AM [ in reply to 74 - what's wrong with hearing from Fuller? ]

a call and ask him. I really don't think anyone else wants him to give a statement but you.

What's wrong with trusting our coach

Mar 6, 2014, 11:32 AM [ in reply to 74 - what's wrong with hearing from Fuller? ]

If he says he's cleared it with Fuller then you can either A) Think he's lying or B) take his word for it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's wrong with trusting our coach

Mar 6, 2014, 12:10 PM

> If he says he's cleared it with Fuller then you can
> either A) Think he's lying or B) take his word for it.

I never said Dabo didn't clear it with Fuller. I do question Fuller being "excited about it" as Dabo phrased it.

who cares if hes excited about it if he agreed***

Mar 6, 2014, 12:51 PM

Then again

Mar 6, 2014, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: What's wrong with trusting our coach ]

You can either trust what he is saying or not. But I see no reason to call him untrue when he says it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 74 - what's wrong with hearing from Fuller?

Mar 6, 2014, 1:31 PM [ in reply to 74 - what's wrong with hearing from Fuller? ]

If you listen to swami you can find the answers to
these kind of questions.Fuller told Swami,a couple
of months back,that he was open to a player wearing
his number if the young man was a worthy person.
Watson fit's that quote.Enough said.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing, apparently.***

Mar 6, 2014, 11:07 AM

I don't believe numbers should be retired. I think players

Mar 6, 2014, 11:07 AM

should be remembered and memorialized but retiring a number should not be standard. JMHO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If a kid wants to wear 28, he needs to ask

Mar 6, 2014, 11:10 AM

CJ for permission, just like DW did with Fuller.

Pretty simple really. If Fuller is ok with it, then it shouldn't be an issue for us either IMO my opinion

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

exactly, this is nothing thats being forced on Fuller

Mar 6, 2014, 11:13 AM

Had he said no, Dabo would have told DW sorry I tried, pick a new #

with permission, I think any player regardless of talent

Mar 6, 2014, 11:11 AM

should be able wear a #. All retired # means is no one can just randomly choose it. They must be given the honor by the honored player to wear the #. In this case, I think what sold it is the patch that will be worn on the jersey that will honor Fuller. This is creative and very crafty by Dabo, imo. Fuller realizes this will bring more attention to his achievements. Think about it, when Watson steps on the field how many times are we going to hear the announcers explain the patch and run a 30 second clip of Fuller highlights.

What if the honored player is deceased?***

Mar 6, 2014, 11:24 AM

then no or ask the family

Mar 6, 2014, 11:28 AM

I dont think Dabo is making the patch a matter of policy for the future, I just think it was a good compromise for this situation. This should be handled on a case by case basis, and in no circumstance will it be allowed without the consent the player of the player's family in the case of the player being deceased.

should read "consent of the player or the player's family...***

Mar 6, 2014, 11:30 AM

Mike Davis wanted to wear 28, but Dabo wouldn't

Mar 6, 2014, 11:14 AM

Let him, it had just been retired for CJ. That is just a rumor I've heard, but it seems true enough. It's an honor to have it retired, just like being inducted into the ROH, so once it's done it's not like they lose the respect afterwards, they kind of just pass on the legacy.

Mike Davis...

Mar 6, 2014, 11:24 AM

isn't worthy to wear C.J.'s used, dirty sweat socks, much less his jersey #. Dabo can spot a coot in sheeps clothing when he sees one, that's why he told him not to bother coming to visit Clemson right before signing day.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Retiring numbers in college is impractical

Mar 6, 2014, 11:44 AM

The players turn over so often, and there are many more players on scholarships than NFL rosters for example that you would soon run out of numbers.

And keep in mind that you don't have 100 options for numbers. Positions have numerical ranges so you number options are even lower.

Re: Retiring numbers in college is impractical

Mar 6, 2014, 12:14 PM

> The players turn over so often, and there are many
> more players on scholarships than NFL rosters for
> example that you would soon run out of numbers.
>
> And keep in mind that you don't have 100 options for
> numbers. Positions have numerical ranges so you
> number options are even lower.

I agree, which is why I think "honorary retirement" may be a better way of doing things. The problem is that McFadden, Fuller and Spiller were not presented with "honorary retirements"......their numbers were retired, as in not to be worn again. Going forward "honorary" is the way to go, but undoing what was done in the past, I'm not sure is a good idea.

I'd like to revisit this topic 4-5 years from now when DW's

Mar 6, 2014, 12:21 PM

time at Clemson is done.

Hypothetically, if he were to lead us to a National Championship wearing the #4 would you be ok with it?

YES! I WOULD VOTE THAT WE RETIRE THE NUMBER!***

Mar 6, 2014, 12:22 PM

Re: YES! I WOULD VOTE THAT WE RETIRE THE NUMBER!***

Mar 6, 2014, 12:28 PM

Excellent point! But this begs the question if Fuller needs to be asked if his number could be retired AGAIN.

I was being sarcastic......lol***

Mar 6, 2014, 2:54 PM

Mar 6, 2014, 12:24 PM

Who gives a CR(&^(* what you think. Why don't you go crawl back into your SludgeMuffin

Mar 6, 2014, 12:29 PM

> Who gives a CR(&^(* what you think. Why don't you go
> crawl back into your SludgeMuffin

Awesome - thanks for the input!

This conversation seems like a waste of life force.

Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 PM

If he said excited, he said excited. Why does there have to be different levels of excited?

FIESTA!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: This conversation seems like a waste of life force.

Mar 6, 2014, 1:11 PM

> If he said excited, he said excited. Why does there
> have to be different levels of excited?
>
> FIESTA!

My point is I don't think Fuller is excited about it. Who would be? If your school told you they retired your number but then later want to "unretire" it, whether the school asks or not, it cheapens the honor because it is no longer "retired".

You can never say Fuller's number "is" retired. You can say it "was" retired, because there WAS a ceremony and it WAS retired for awhile. But the number is no longer retired. I think that is what would bother any athlete who was awarded the honor.

"back in my day, retired meant something" and you kids stay

Mar 6, 2014, 1:10 PM

off my lawn. pass the prune juice and put lawrence welk on the clicker

Retired means NOTHING according to this policy*****

Mar 6, 2014, 1:59 PM

Or, alternatively

Mar 6, 2014, 2:04 PM

It simply means, honored, and reserved not to be used unless the honoree agrees to the scenario

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic