Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What do Democrats think will happen to the country if Trump is re-elected?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

What do Democrats think will happen to the country if Trump is re-elected?

Feb 5, 2020, 10:52 AM

The Carville story got me thinking about this. These comments about, above all else, we MUST stop Trump...why?

Is it the corruption that Dems keep claiming but can’t prove?

Is it his environmental policies?

Is it just that the rest of the world thinks he’s an idiot?

I’ve always said, I get wanting someone else in that office. But aside from the environment (if you are of the “we only have ten years left” mindset) I’m not clear on the practical concerns of four more years of Trump.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Ruth Bader Ginsburg***

Feb 5, 2020, 10:55 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What do Democrats think will happen to the country if Trump is re-elected?

Feb 5, 2020, 10:57 AM

Yes

We're already supposed to be in a massive depression,

Feb 5, 2020, 10:58 AM

with soup lines, and also in the middle of WW3.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lutz, just posted exact same thing***

Feb 5, 2020, 11:00 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and dying from net neutrality!!***

Feb 5, 2020, 11:28 AM [ in reply to We're already supposed to be in a massive depression, ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

member when they all said the economy would tank?

Feb 5, 2020, 10:59 AM

and he'd start WW3? lol

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: member when they all said the economy would tank?

Feb 5, 2020, 11:02 AM

He is definitely not a war monger. Although, he made it sound like Venezuela is in his crosshairs now for his 2nd term.

what you libs don't understand and what Trump,

Feb 5, 2020, 11:13 AM

whether you give him credit or not, achieves peace thru strength. That involves talking a big game to keep these radical countries at bay.

Or they will walk all around you and demand bribes or threaten you all day long.
These countries know not to F with us now for sure. That is until someone like Bernie gets in office.

Re: what you libs don't understand and what Trump,

Feb 5, 2020, 11:16 AM

What you dont understand is that you dont know Trump at all. You think you do.

The main difference is Obama tried to achieve peace through

Feb 5, 2020, 11:19 AM [ in reply to what you libs don't understand and what Trump, ]

diplomacy which he believed would last longer. Come to a compromise with Iran and there won't be constant issues springing up.

Trump is following the old play card of bullying the rest of the countries into submission. That works for only a short period of time and there will be constant issues arising.

But Americans are always down for a good killing of brown people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: The main difference is Obama tried to achieve peace through

Feb 5, 2020, 11:27 AM

The problems with Iran are the same if not worse under Trump.

Re: The main difference is Obama tried to achieve peace through

Feb 5, 2020, 5:05 PM

Carlsbad® said:

The problems with Iran are the same if not worse under Trump.

Because Trump didn’t shovel money to them like Obama did?

give terrorist countries billion and billions aint the way

Feb 5, 2020, 11:31 AM [ in reply to The main difference is Obama tried to achieve peace through ]

to go.

Also his policies led to ISIS forming right in front of his eyes

Re: give terrorist countries billion and billions aint the way

Feb 5, 2020, 11:36 AM

ISIS formed due to W invading Iraq. Thats the simple fact.

lol, ya no

Feb 5, 2020, 12:25 PM

The Islamic State – also known as ISIS, ISIL, or Daesh – emerged from the remnants of al Qaeda in Iraq (AQI), a local offshoot of al Qaeda founded by Abu Musab al Zarqawi in 2004. It faded into obscurity for several years after the surge of U.S. troops to Iraq in 2007. But it began to reemerge in 2011. Over the next few years, it took advantage of growing instability in Iraq and Syria to carry out attacks and bolster its ranks.

The group changed its name to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in 2013. ISIS launched an offensive on Mosul and Tikrit in June 2014. On June 29, ISIS leader Abu Bakr al Baghdadi announced the formation of a caliphate stretching from Aleppo in Syria to Diyala in Iraq, and renamed the group the Islamic State.

Obama let them caravan all the way down Syria and rape and pillage.

Re: lol, ya no

Feb 5, 2020, 5:53 PM

Yes due to the war in Iraq, Einstein. Youre ignorant.

Feb 5, 2020, 11:06 AM

Funny how that works. Every 4 years the people want someone else, something different. And every time, we get a politician that doesn’t deliver on their promises. They run on what sounds good, never what actually works.

Feb 5, 2020, 11:09 AM

We dont know what works yet imo. We will know on his 2nd term if he wins. He probably will win. In 5 years from now all the dust will settle and we will see. We will know.

oh, they've clearly said

Feb 5, 2020, 11:10 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many are just thinking "Trump will get elected."***

Feb 5, 2020, 11:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you think about it, that's not a good thing on its face

Feb 5, 2020, 1:56 PM

The question is whether that's evidence of something already being rotten, or inviting rot into the society. It's pretty clear that there's a lot of spiritual rot in the culture, such that Donald Trump would even be considered a suitable candidate for public office.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's pure politics.

Feb 5, 2020, 6:53 PM

The only spiritual factor in politics is secular humanism. Secular humanist do not believe in our God. If, as they believe, there is no god then by default man is next in line to be the supreme being. Thus, open borders and healthcare for illegals, signs which say no human is illegal and such nonsense are their form of service to their god, mankind.

The hate American who put America before the world the same way and for the same reason radical muslims hate Christians. We just don't worship mankind. That's not to say we don't love man.

Perhaps that's Carville's point but I believe it's much more simple, it's just about dems regaining power. I'm gonna go with that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure what motivates him to run again...(I know,it's ego)

Feb 5, 2020, 11:31 AM

but there's nothing really for him to prove worth hanging around four more years. He won. He got elected. He didn't cause WW3. He didn't ruin the economy. He didn't destroy the world. He took down both the Bush and the Clinton political machines. He exposed the media and the DC Elites for what they are. He did what everyone said he couldn't. Despite all the doomsday predictions, things are better -- well that's an opinion according to who you talk to -- but things definitely aren't worse off than the day he took office.

He should take that legacy, retire and enjoy that sweet life of an ex-Pres. Because THAT'S the ultimate life, taken care of for the rest of his days. Not sure why he would want to go through 4 more years of the daily garbage thrown his way. Makes no sense, as it's not gonna stop. They will impeach him again, for the sole reason to have that on his tombstone as the only President impeached twice.

I'm hoping he gets re-elected and decides to hang it up in the first month due to some medical reason, let Pence take the reins and attempt to mellow the country out some.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2020, 12:02 PM

he is stacking the federal courts with life long corporatists while weakening the institutions that middle class america relies upon. It is all all out in the open, but most of his supporters care too much about guns and illegal immigrants to bother noticing that they are getting royally screwed.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What institutions do Middle Class Americans rely upon that he is weakening?***

Feb 5, 2020, 12:13 PM

null

Liberal judges legislating from the bench.

Feb 5, 2020, 12:26 PM

It keep congress from being exposed to having to create law which might expose them to losing their seats.

The political culture is going to be a horrible mess

Feb 5, 2020, 1:53 PM

It already is, but it's just going to get worse the longer Trump has anything to do with it. Other than that, Trump being re-elected will just result in a lot of the same stuff that would've happened if a conservative Republican was elected. There'll just probably be less of it because Trump is incompetent, childish, and narcissistic. So, basically, you've got a lot of personal hatred combined with the normal partisanship.

My question is whether Republicans are losing their soul by selling out many of their values to support Trump's cult of personality, which is a borderline evil one. I really hope a few Supreme Court justices and trolling the libs for a few years is worth it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, what constitutes losing my soul?

Feb 5, 2020, 2:08 PM

I don’t have a choice on the Republican candidate. Am I losing my soul if I vote for Trump in November? Does it depend on who the Dem candidate is as to how
Much of my soul is lost?

null

I don't think holding your nose and voting for Trump is that

Feb 5, 2020, 2:23 PM

I do think a full-throated celebration of Trump is bad soul-craft for anybody who cares about conservative principles. Way too many people who previously represented themselves as principled conservatives are just reveling in trolling the libs while abandoning their previous principles. I wonder what they'll be left to say when somebody on the left has severe character flaws, just doesn't know about or care about political norms, and is generally bumbling.

You seem to be missing another option.....

Feb 5, 2020, 5:48 PM

That principled conservatives are reveling in trolling the Pubs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

none

Feb 5, 2020, 6:23 PM [ in reply to So, what constitutes losing my soul? ]

if Jesus was here, he would sit and eat with Trump

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry to have to disagree, but if the country was able to

Feb 5, 2020, 5:34 PM [ in reply to The political culture is going to be a horrible mess ]

survive EIGHT years of Barack Obama, it can certainly survive 4 more years of Donald Trump.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagreed with nearly everything Obama did...

Feb 5, 2020, 5:44 PM

however, let's not pretend that Obama was anywhere near the norm breaker, or anywhere near as crass and vulgar, as Trump. Maybe you see some of that as good, but let's at least acknowledge the effect that has on the culture.

You're seriously acting like the helicopter parent who

Feb 5, 2020, 5:54 PM

thinks their 15 year old is going to be scarred for life by a rated R movie.

This whole "Trump's killing the Republic" crap is so hyperbolic, emotional, overly-dramatic, and preposterous that those of us who still have a clear head about the whole thing have no choice but to laugh at it.

We get it, you're in love with what the mainstream Republican party had become. Hang in there. The country is going to be just fine and sooner than later you're have Jeb McRomney back on the ticket again because it's "their turn".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're seriously acting like the helicopter parent who

Feb 5, 2020, 5:57 PM

Obed....I agree we will be fine, but camgee is accurate. You are both accurate.

The country is who it is at any given time.

Feb 5, 2020, 6:04 PM

Social media, celebrities, societal evolution (or devolution as it were), and changing social norms have more to do with how the country thinks, feels, and acts than a President does, and what effect a President does have pretty much ends shortly after their term is over.

What's our current national condition that can be attributed to George H Bush? How about Clinton, W, or Obama? I'd say not a whole lot, with Obama having the most current minimal hangover effects because he's the most recent. Two new Presidents from now, Trump will no more have an effect on how this country is operating, feeling, or acting than W has on us now.

Re: The country is who it is at any given time.

Feb 5, 2020, 6:32 PM

I think Trump has broke new ground. He is like no other before him imo. He is demagogue and a borderline cult leader.

Do you remember the 80's?

Feb 5, 2020, 6:43 PM

I was a young guy then, but when it came to Reagan supporters (I was one and still am, no apologies), he had more rabid supporters who were more into him than Trump could dream of. Trump support and fervor is a blip on the radar compared to Reagan's in the mid 80's. The difference isn't so much that Reagan was gentlemanly, polite, and soft spoken and Trump isn't, as it is we didn't have social media whipping up every easily influenced mind into believing that Ronnie was a fascist dictator who would end the USA as we knew it and send the country on a downward trajectory.

That's the new norm, and it has nothing to do with Trump (or Obama, for that reason, who the trend started under). Going forward, "not my President" will be the norm if your party doesn't win, and you'll be fed a steady diet of red meat telling you how that person has it in for your family and life as we know it. We'll probably see constant investigations as well in attempts to drum up impeachment, tying President's hands and limiting their efficacy.

What's frustrating is that falling for these type of antics should be expected from brainless automatons, but when highly educated people like cam fall for the handwringing as well, it's troublesome.

This is what's so silly

Feb 5, 2020, 6:15 PM [ in reply to You're seriously acting like the helicopter parent who ]

You guys have created a strawman to defend yourselves against people who dislike Trump that says they all think the country's going to end, and that all of them were supporters of Jeb Bush. The narrative that Jeb Bush was some sort of assumptive president was always silly. He never had a chance. But there were lots of other good, conservative Republican candidates in 2016 who split the vote and allowed Trump to get to where he is.

And, in fact, it's the people who don't worship Trump who are taking the long view, not the people who abandoned what principles they had just to troll the libs in a "Flight 93 Election." The country's going to move on from Trump at some point, but the question is how it will be affected by Trump's behavior and the support for it. Treating Trump like he's a savior and trying to punish everybody who doesn't get in line behind everything Trump does is incredibly short-sighted.

Sigh

Feb 5, 2020, 6:26 PM

strawman accusations followed by "....worship Trump".

Feb 5, 2020, 6:30 PM [ in reply to This is what's so silly ]

Why is it so binary to you and others like you? Who is "you guys"? I didn't even vote for Trump. I've never treated him as a savior, and I hardly worship him.

My accusation of you being a Jeb supporter is because you've always been a "move along, nothing to see here, everything is fine" when it came to mainstream Republicans like Jeb, and anyone who dared accuse the Republicans of not being conservative enough.

You have no long view at all because that forest is obscured for you by a giant Trump tree.

I'm a level headed guy who thinks Trump is a D-bag, any Dem alternative would have been worse, the country is in a pretty good place all things considered, and frankly my inner anarchist is having fun watching both libs and Pubs of your ilk run around like their head is on fire. Frankly it's how I felt staring at the option of pulling a lever for McCain or Obama (I went Barr that year, thanks ot) so my sympathies are extremely low.

If anything, I hope the lasting impression on the Pubs is that we're sick of the go-along to get-along spineless yes men they had become, and that perhaps getting back to our conservative roots will require hurting some feelings and having a Dem call you a mean name once in a while, and that's ok. The country has been in a progressive slide for decades now, and rather than fight it, the "right" has chosen to simply slide a little slower than the left.

My problem with this is it's disconnected from reality

Feb 6, 2020, 1:45 PM

You're also painting "Establishment" conservatives with an overly broad brush, which doesn't differentiate between truly moderate or even liberal Republicans and others who've actually had very conservative records. Plenty of Republicans have pushed back against the Democrats and their progressive agenda, and they've actually had quite a few political victories. But the problem is that the culture has been pushed in a progressive direction by cultural elites. That's not a problem that a politician can easily address.

But broadly blaming the people who've been responsible for the political pushback against progressivism because they weren't able to do enough for you when there was either a Democrat Congress and a Democrat president, or just a Democrat president, seems wrong to me. And even if it was right, how was Donald Trump the guy who people thought was realistically going to change politics and culture in a conservative way? This attitude of broadly blaming everybody to the point where you think none of it matters, such that you can't differentiate between a Donald Trump and even a Jeb Bush (who, despite some of his moderate tendencies, was a popular and effective reformist Governor of Florida... who never had a chance at the Republican nomination because he's a Bush), is a kind of cynicism that keeps us from being serious about addressing the country's slide.

Re: I disagreed with nearly everything Obama did...

Feb 5, 2020, 6:11 PM [ in reply to I disagreed with nearly everything Obama did... ]

Feb 5, 2020, 10:33 PM

Not a single person in this thread has provided a straight answer to your question.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2020, 5:09 PM

FordPerfect gave a pretty good answer

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The continued destruction of the administrative state

Feb 6, 2020, 12:13 AM

Some of you Steve Bannon fans may find this part of his Presidency deeply satisfying. I don’t. I happen to believe we need a functional bureaucracy. Michael Lewis wrote a great book called the Fifth Risk on this subject.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/books/review-fifth-risk-michael-lewis.html

Forgive me for the rest of this rant, but there is so much to vent:

Continued descent into mass psychosis from the constant gaslighting tweets.

I expect more hand-drawn hurricane maps, more ill-advised ad-lib foreign policy decisions, repeated abandonment of our allies, more token paper towel rolls tossed like souvenirs to hurricane survivors, complete disregard of any expert or experienced advisor, refusal to actually read daily intelligence briefings and in general chaos as usual.

It will only take one major miscalculation on his part with a Kim Jong Un or Iranian madman to plunge us into total darkness. I totally don’t trust his judgement when it comes to these people. All of his top military advisors seem to have jumped ship. It’s not surprising because he has a demonstrated knack for disrespecting their entire lifetime of service. His complete ignorance of these matters is mostly terrifying though.

I expect more unnecessary trade wars aka taxes that end up driving our cost of living higher. I expect him to further divide the country, mainly because of his inability to overcome his own narcissism, his clinically sociopathic character. This results in a total unwillingness to compromise on anything. Nothing can get done unless he gets to put his name on it. In this regard, he is more like a spoiled brat than a leader of the free world.

Then, for the bleeding hearts out there, we can’t forget all the little children he has ordered locked up in cages. He had two years with majority control in Congress and couldn’t get an Immigration deal done. He blew it up out of spite.

Pseudologia fantastica... "I, me, my... the greatest!" Sad.***

Feb 6, 2020, 1:08 AM

Yet in spite of all that ranting

Feb 6, 2020, 1:16 AM [ in reply to The continued destruction of the administrative state ]

Oh and as far as the tariff thing

Feb 6, 2020, 1:23 AM

the stock market is in a great cycle, no doubt

Feb 6, 2020, 10:57 AM

but you and I both know that the country is drunk on debt and that the party won't last forever, even if Trump is re-elected. One could easily argue that Trump and McConnell bought this stock market with a tax plan that was fueled by more government debt.

Obviously business leaders like Trump because they get to keep more of their money, but everything has a cost. You either pay now, or pay later. With the tax plan, we've decided as a nation to pay later, so your sons and daughters will have fun with 23 trillion dollars of debt instead of 19 trillion. The tax plan as it turned out was a huge bait and switch. Corporations used the tax savings to buy shares back. Of course they did, they are company shareholders themselves so they directly get the benefit!

If we cut taxes and the deficit went lower, we'd have something to be proud about. But the Republican majority in Congress wanted to pay a nice little bribe to their wealthy donors. So here we are, increasing our future liabilities. But yay, we're rich? We have privatized gains and socialized losses. It is corporate welfare by any definition yet we can't seem to understand why this is unfair to the vast majority of Americans.

I also seem to remember how we said the same thing when W was running for re-election in 2004. That turned out to be a bit of a mess at the end. Lots of lives were ruined. Turns out the economy was running on giant miscalculations made in the MBS industry's rating agencies. Agencies run directly by the MBS industry who just tell them what they want to hear. It tanked everyone. And by the way, somehow Standard and Poors is still one of the main go-to authorities on bond ratings even after they screwed everyone over. I think someone who helped create this mess called it Irrational Exuberance. It feels the same in 2020.

How is this one going to blow up? Your guess is good as mine, but when it does, how will we look back on the Trump/Ross/Mnuchin/Kudlow regime then?

As far as employment, I honestly think there needs to be more research on jobs data. If we don't know what kind of money people are making, how can we so easily claim success? I have a suspicion gig economy has distorted some of these job reports. When Uber claims they are creating 20,000 jobs a month, and a driver makes $40 here and there, that's not really a job now is it.

Maybe the best way to look at it is monthly household earnings relative to inflation.

Business owners typically like to hire as many contract workers and part-time employees as they can, keep them under 35 hours a week so they can avoid paying full-time tax liabilities and benefits, so you and I prop them up with social benefits. Walmart is a classic example. These companies typically don't pay much and after they make a hire they send them down to the welfare office to get public assistance. So in essence, companies like Walmart are leveraging American taxpayer funds to avoid paying a living wage. More corporate welfare.

Of course the economy looks good, it's drunk. ;)

I agree with the debt

Feb 6, 2020, 11:15 AM

Based on this, not sure you know what the admin state is

Feb 6, 2020, 1:20 PM [ in reply to The continued destruction of the administrative state ]

Anyone who likes the rule of law should support its destruction.

Re: Based on this, not sure you know what the admin state is

Feb 6, 2020, 4:15 PM

Yeah buddy, I do know what it means. Thanks for the condescending rebuke. Of course I also believe in the rule of law.

You obviously don’t understand the point being made. Reference Trump’s Hurricane Dorian guidance that contradicted the NOAA Hurricane forecasters, probably for political reasons.

Or just read the #### book Lewis wrote.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic