Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
admission standards
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

admission standards

Mar 21, 2014, 10:08 AM

there have been many discuss how some standards for athletics are much higher at some schools or conferences than others. I went to the ncaa website and found that for all fbs schools the minimum requirements are the same for all. if an individual school or conference wants to have standards above and beyond the minimum they certainly may but can not change the minimum standards. so to say that the coots or sec allows students to be accepted with lower standards in not a fault of the ncaa but because our conference and others choose to have higher than minimum standards. also according to the state public information Clemson and the coots have the same requirements to be accepted since both are state supported and controlled. so if there is a difference our complaints should be with our administration and conference. of course the quality of education at a school is a different discussion all together. see fake classes at UNC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the minimum is not acceptable in many places

Mar 21, 2014, 10:10 AM

see the great ARC debacle on tnet...i think it was 2001 if you want to scroll back that far

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Re: the minimum is not acceptable in many places

Mar 21, 2014, 10:27 AM

Is that you Dr Evil?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2014, 10:40 AM

I have not been hiding but just accepting without seeing for myself that there were many schools that were cheating of sorts by allowing some athletes admission. I guess I did not realize that there were indeed minimum ncaa standards. with all the discussion about certain schools on this board I just decided to read and research for myself. once again my only point is that we need not complain about other schools if we get higher standards from our administration and the acc. if they operate under standards set by the ncaa they are doing all that is necessary or ask of them. I also understand that some schools want higher standards and that is fine but don't complain about level playing fields when you change them yourself. just my opinion.

been in Evil medical school for a while***

Mar 21, 2014, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: the minimum is not acceptable in many places ]

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Mar 22, 2014, 5:14 PM [ in reply to the minimum is not acceptable in many places ]

I guess there comes a point in time that the decision has to be made if the institution wants a football team that mirrors Alabama, or a football team that mirrors Harvard.

Where u been hiding?

Mar 21, 2014, 10:17 AM

inapooppile?

many fans are extremely upset over

Mar 21, 2014, 10:44 AM

The acc's response to unc. I personally think it was a load of poop.
Imo. Academic fraud is the absolutely the most serious violation you can commit when it comes to stuDent athletes.
School should always come 1st, I don't care how much money is involved.
However, I admit I am probably in the minority.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: many fans are extremely upset over

Mar 21, 2014, 10:54 AM

I don't think you are in the minority. I think most people wonder why the ncaa has not punished them more and even investigated the whole process. they basically got a slap on the wrist for imo the most serious violations in many years. it also is very apparent that the fake classes were to help athletes stay eligible. they also were supposed to be above reproach from an academic standpoint. just a joke to me. swofford has also been very silent on the matter which does not look good either.

Grab some popcorn, this is gonna be a good one!***

Mar 21, 2014, 10:56 AM

Most care about one question-

Mar 21, 2014, 10:59 AM

Can you play football ?

We dont care if you can spell it- just want to know can you play it

Love,

Nick S

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA establishes minimum standards but....

Mar 21, 2014, 11:05 AM

those minimum standards are not acceptable to all schools.

To suggest that Clemson and $CU have the same requirements for acceptance is laughable. Guys like Derelict Watson and Retardo Hurley would have NEVER qualified for admission to Clemson...NEVER.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The NCAA establishes minimum standards but....

Mar 21, 2014, 11:17 AM

we all now understand that but why do we complain about others not feeling the same? as I stated it is fine to want higher standards but should we complain and cry foul about level playing fields when WE choose to raise the standards? just like the above post about saban! I am glad that the university I have a degree from wants have higher standards and makes my degree worth more but find it a bit ironic that we complain about others who don't.

Do we all now understand that?

Mar 21, 2014, 11:20 AM

Clemson clearly has higher admission standards for general students, but is there some source that shows that our standards for athletes are higher than the NCAA minimum?

Thanks in advance, I'll sit back and wait for someone to provide that.

The higher standards for incoming athletes

Mar 21, 2014, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: The NCAA establishes minimum standards but.... ]

Have no relationship to the value of your degree.

No sane person associates the two.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The higher standards for incoming athletes

Mar 21, 2014, 12:12 PM

the point I was making is that the university provides a higher standard for EVERYONE and thus makes the overall education one receives better, which I think has been validated by studies that say Clemson offers a higher value for your education and a better quality education than most, YOU IDIOT.

Nice attack

Mar 21, 2014, 12:17 PM

Clemson is a great school and provides a wonderful educational opportunity to its students, no doubt. Yes, the rising standards on the incoming students do raise the perception of the value of degrees from Clemson.

However, no one associates the standards applied to incoming student athletes when evaluating your degree from Clemson. To do so is to pretend that they are admitted on the same merits as the rest of the student body, which is, quite simply, not the case.

And that is okay. I'm all for making sure that kids that come to Clemson on athletic scholarship are in a position to benefit from, and succeed in, the rigors of higher education, but to pretend that we are asking the same from them from an academic level is just missing the obvious.

Re: The higher standards for incoming athletes

Mar 22, 2014, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Re: The higher standards for incoming athletes ]

Facts

Spurrier actually almost quit usc due to them having higher than the NCAA standards
They drooped to NCAA standards soon after

Clemson has accepted the NCAA standard for over 25 years

Both instate schools have exact same athlete requirements as 99% of universities

Vandy and Stanford are the only ones I can find that have higher standards than the NCAA requires

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCAA Rules and Integrity Are Not Synonymous. I want Clemson

Mar 22, 2014, 3:05 PM

to operate with integrity.

I would argue that the distinction is not about minimum qualification standards, but about operating with integrity. Some schools attempt to bring in players who can graduate (with tutoring, to be sure) and others don't. Those that don't have chosen to run their programs as unpaid semiprofessional teams and are taking advantage of student athletes while offering absolutely nothing in return. This is stealing. There are entire conferences that operate like this, and I have a problem with it in principal. Shoot, some of them even cut players just because they're not as athletically gifted as advertised. This type of program is unethical, embarrassing, and despicable, and I'm glad that Clemson is, indeed, "better than that."

Sure, there's not a rule mandating that programs operate with integrity, but there certainly should be. Otherwise, what's the purpose of the NCAA in the first place? So the real fault is with the current model in general. The NCAA should add teeth to a graduation rate vs. scholarship numbers rule, and should treat academic fraud as seriously as illegal benefits. Ultimately, smaller science-focused schools with low grade inflation like Clemson will still be at a disadvantage in this model due to a relative lack of easy majors, but at least we wouldn't be penalized for operating with integrity.

Re: NCAA Rules and Integrity Are Not Synonymous. I want Clemson

Mar 22, 2014, 5:08 PM

the point is every school and conference have to decide what their standards will be. if we want a level playing field we as a school and conference need to change our requirements or quit complaining about how others operate. we have no control over what other schools do if they operate within ncaa guidelines. if we want to have higher standards then that is on us. our prior president wanted academics over athletics and even fudged on records to do that.

Re: We're going to have to agree to disagree I guess.

Mar 22, 2014, 5:43 PM

I'm not ok operating like other schools do, and am comfortable living with that slight handicap (as much as I resent it) if it's the only way to operate with integrity.

And with that in mind, I also DON'T think there's anything wrong with pointing out that these other schools are shamefully taking advantage of student athletes.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic