Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We'll miss the "Wayne Train", so who's the grinder now?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

We'll miss the "Wayne Train", so who's the grinder now?

Apr 18, 2017, 12:30 AM

A little lengthy, but a good question with some content around it.

At times during the 2015 season, all I had access to was the radio to listen to Clemson FB games
(working on Saturdays ) and not being able to watch a lot of the games on TV until the playoffs. I just remember how many times I heard " now, Watson hands it off to Gallman- and the Wayne Train plows through for a gain of 8 yards". That's just pound and grind football there, when you need it the most.

It's pretty obvious Gallman brought back a "toughness" to the position that the Tigers hadn't seen in a while. No slight at all to any other former CU RB's, but Gallman didn't set school records because he was content being a backup in line, He went and got it. He was unstoppable in 2015.. He didn't have the season He wanted in 2016 I'm sure, but still, his legacy as a tough back for Clemson was already cemented. He was always ready though, and shined a lot during the brightest times, like Watson when we needed him. Whichever NFL team drafts him is getting s special RB, tough, good character, and has skills that translate to the next level. Wishing Him the best.

This year we have returning starter CJ Fuller who saw the most carries ( and some pretty good wheel routes too ) solidify himself as contender to push the line. With a lower center of gravity, at times Fuller could muscle his way through a seam to give DW4 some help on short yardage. That's what you need in a good RB, toughness.

I think with combination of Feaster and Choice,( until Etienne get's here and in the system )these two need to make their mark. Feaster with his speed, needs to learn blitzes and how to protect. I can't wait to see this young man take his talent to his potential. Should have some blocking skills under his belt by now. Choice as well, even though He lost time last year, He is a solid back and can get up the seams.

We all know we're going to need it, whether we have a dynamic runner at QB, or a pocket passer or a mixture. Stack the box on one, jet sweep to the other, etc. I think there is a consensus that this team is " built in the trenches " as Dabo says, and that would include an RB or two that can find his way through the seams and play with " Wayne Train" toughness. It's not only on Defense that we can be #1, but we have a stable of good backs now IMO, and more coming.

As far as this year, who do you think the workhorse RB will be?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We'll miss the "Wayne Train", so who's the grinder

Apr 18, 2017, 1:13 AM

Choice is the physical, tough runner. Fuller as a straight ahead,15-carry guy who can also catch passes out of the backfield. Feaster as the home run threat. Going to be exciting having all three.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2017, 1:22 AM

I think Fuller will give Choice a challenge at that position IMO, then Choice and Feaster. I'm just going off of production last year of course. Fall camp should reveal more. I agree, I hope Feaster is that home run hitter. Jet sweeps, etc. We've got some tough diversified talent at RB across the board.

Apr 18, 2017, 1:26 AM

Agreed, Fall camp will be huge. They will all get their carries in some capacity. You're right that they really are three very different backs.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We'll miss the "Wayne Train", so who's the grinder now?

Apr 18, 2017, 3:08 AM

It might have to be "toughness by committee" for a while but I see C.J. Fuller being that grinder. Great post by the way.

Apr 18, 2017, 4:24 AM

While he is not the grinder/pounder/dozer type runner, it is going to be a lot of fun watching Feaster with his bust it big style. CJ has shown streaks of greatness and I think he will be our bull before playoff time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

All of these guys have displayed the running skills...

Apr 18, 2017, 6:27 AM

needed to take over the position. To me, it's who will differentiate themselves and be willing to put in the work to excel at blocking that will raise himself above the pack. With all of the motion and multiple looks in our system, RB blocking is a large component on passing downs.

Wayne could put on a clinic on picking up a blitzing LB or a rushing DE that came free. We are really going to miss him in that role.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All of these guys have displayed the running skills...

Apr 18, 2017, 7:23 AM

Totally agree. Part of what made DW4 legendary was the consistent protection afforded by Gallman's blocking. A back with that degree of skill in picking up blocks makes the decision to pass vs. keep much clearer, and Watson was then empowered to become a crazy effective escape artist. IMO, and because it resulted in a national championship, I would think Scott & Elliot would favor the combo of a better blocking back with a dual threat QB over a pure pocket passer situation if they had the choice. Way more adaptable scenario & far more potential to absorb a good defense's best blows and produce in spite of them.

Really excited to see this play out...

GO TIGERS.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Apr 18, 2017, 7:58 AM

I think Fuller will be our leading rusher....I'm going on a limb and saying second leading
will be Ray Ray....jet sweeps and a couple of other plays to get him the ball. He can tote it.

Quarterback?***

Apr 18, 2017, 11:03 AM

Apr 18, 2017, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: We'll miss the "Wayne Train", so who's the grinder now? ]

Jet sweeps count as passing yards. Forward pitch.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Apr 18, 2017, 8:15 AM

If you watch the last four games, there's hardly a drop off in the run game when Fuller is in. And he was more dangerous in the passing game. Fuller can replace Gallman.

What we really need, though, is Feaster to emerge as a Dalvin Cook-like threat to score any time he gets in the open field. Otherwise we're going to see loaded boxes on nearly every down.

CJ Fuller***

Apr 18, 2017, 10:30 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From what i keep reading.....

Apr 18, 2017, 11:01 AM

The only thing that matters to be the starter, is that you can block for the Qb.
In that case Fuller is the man....otherwise, he's probably 4Th in talent.

Blocking is a "talent" ...

Apr 18, 2017, 11:14 AM

... and apparently it's a talent that is "weighted" more heavily than more visible RB skills.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic