Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do some of you think our '07-'08 team was so great?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Why do some of you think our '07-'08 team was so great?

Mar 4, 2018, 3:35 PM

We had a very good regular season, finishing third in the ACC. Then we lost in the ACC Tournament championship to UNC. However, we lost to 12 seed Villanova (as a 5 seed) in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. That awful end shows that we weren't really that great after all.

Make no mistake, it was still one of our better Clemson basketball teams, especially if you look only at the regular season, but it doesn't stand up to our Elite Eight team in '79-'80 or our Sweet Sixteen teams in '89-'90 or '96-'97.

I think this year's team is better, and we will prove it in the NCAA Tournament.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

5 losing to a 12 is common though.

Mar 4, 2018, 3:40 PM

Those are some of the toughest games to pick.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were upset all three years under Purnell.

Mar 4, 2018, 3:46 PM

It was a theme of his tenure. I get it, the 5 vs. 12 matchup has upsets each year, but it doesn't excuse the fact that we were the much higher ranked team and underachieved.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

it depends on what you look at to define "great"

Mar 4, 2018, 3:46 PM

That team was very good, as evidenced by the regular season accomplishments and run to the ACCT game. We were up 18 on Nova before they came back and won. You could also argue that Nova was not your "typical" 12 seed.

While I did think that team would make a run in the NCAAT, and was disappointed in the loss... I don't think you can say that game shows "we weren't that great".

I think BB has done a remarkable job this year, and this team is fun to watch. There is no question they are gritty and have over-achieved.

However, I felt like that 07-08 team could beat anyone in the country that we tipped it up against, on any given night. As much as I love this year's bunch, and am looking forward to the ACC and NCAAT's... I'm not sure I feel the same about this group.

The awful end to Clemson's football season doesn't...

Mar 4, 2018, 3:48 PM

dilute the wonderful season Dabo, staff and players had before dropping their last game one they entered as the best team in the land.

It's pathetic really, patently stupid in fact. The only thing that team lost was a game to a Sweet 16 team, a team better than Clemson on that day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We really blew that Villanova game

Mar 4, 2018, 3:54 PM

As I remember we had a pretty good second half lead and then just fell apart.

Maybe we were tired. Maybe we jacked up too many 3s. I don't recall the specifics but we let that one slip away.

They were also a bad draw as a 12 seed. Pretty sure Villanova went to the sweet 16 that year and then had some good teams the following years. That was a fun Clemson team to watch though.

Nova lost to Kansas that year too, who won it all*****

Mar 4, 2018, 3:59 PM

Re: We really blew that Villanova game

Mar 4, 2018, 4:02 PM [ in reply to We really blew that Villanova game ]

It was a fairly common occurrence in those days. As long we were playing the pressure/trap/run fast game, we were fine. But, those teams had issues executing in the half-court game trying to run the game out. The same thing happened in both UNC regular-season games that year, too. Though, UNC was much better than Villanova.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic