Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Water Safety Football Players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Water Safety Football Players

Oct 7, 2019, 11:50 AM

I've watched several vlogs of the football team on the lake & at Dabo's house in the pool and I noticed several of the black players being afraid of the water.

During my Marine Corps training back in 1968 regarding water safety, the Navy had set procedures on how to survive in the water.

They taught us that while in the water [we were in the deep end], to lean forward, and we stay on water but all [yes, all of us black Marines] would sink to the the bottom of the pool.

To pass us, they asked to swim for a few minutes which was as difficult as floating. 1st we were afraid of the water. I did not pass water safety.

Several weeks ago I was watching a Marine Corps Parris Island training from the 2000 & the Navy hasn't changed their water safety methods after all these years.

Okay, black guys, I have a solution. You can search YouTube for that Parris Island stuff.

After returning from Vietnam back in 1970, I was stationed at the Dallas Naval Air Station.

At my apartment complex we had a pool.

While in the pool one day, I thought to try the Navy way of water survival and like 1968 I sunk to the bottom of the pool.

Next, and I can't explain why, instead of leaning forward, I placed my arms away from my body forming a "T" and leaned backward [not forward] & I floated on the water. I did this without any leg kicks.

It worked, I know it sounds racist but blacks can float on their backs.

When we lean back, our heads are out of the water & we will float. You are not completely on your backs [90% of your body is under water].

For those still afraid of the water, I suggest trying in the shallow end [shallow enough where your head is above the water line, not at the 3 Foot line].

When you feel comfortable, next try doing the back stoke, you will find it will be so simple, when you need to rest, do the float thing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you poasted this as a water safety PSA.

Oct 7, 2019, 11:54 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Me either.

Oct 7, 2019, 2:38 PM

Go back and look at earlier posts.

Re: Water Safety Football Players

Oct 7, 2019, 11:55 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Oct 7, 2019, 12:41 PM

The Navy in 1985 taught us to take our pants off and tie the legs in knots and catch air in the pants. Then we could float between the legs occasionally catching more air in the legs. This would allow us to float for log periods without using much energy. This also allowed the sharks more skin to attack. It didn't matter on Submarines. The submarines had escape hatches but no knowledgeable Submariner believed that we would every have a chance to use the escape hatches. The Submarine couldn't survive in the depths that we patrolled in.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 12:48 PM

I'll tell a little story here as a 30 year Naval Flight Officer. Naval Survival swimming is based on sound principals. The goal is to use minimal energy to stay afloat. Why? Because you can be stuck in the middle of the ocean for hours (let's not even discuss hypothermia.)

I have always been comfortable in the water, but this training was very challenging. Many African American officers had trouble and needed extra help. Sadly many black youths don't spend a lot of time around pools to become comfortable with swimming. They nicknamed the swim portion of the training, the "Brother Buster." Initial swim training in Pensacola is in a huge indoor pool. The deep end was 20+ feet deep.

One of the major tests you have to pass is 10 minutes of treading water in full flight gear followed by 10 minutes of drown proofing. If you don't pass, you had to report to "Stupid swim" in the afternoon for training...or just keep taking the test until you passed. The key to success for both the tread and drown proofing is body position, confidence and calmness.

Well yours truly failed my first attempt. I had to report to stupid swim. I retook the test a couple more times. After one attempt, I was sitting by the side of the pool resting. This takes a lot out of you. The 70 degree water zaps your energy quickly and shivering sets in. So I am sitting next to the pool with a guy named Terry. Terry was African American and was about 6'2" 200'. He had a linebacker's build and was in shape. He and I were cursing any future Parachute Riggers who didn't ensure we had good CO2 cartridges in our LPA-2 (life preserver) which would require us to tread if we bailed out. I asked Terry, "Terry, you're in shape, what are you having issues with." He said he had no issue passing the tread, he was failing the drown proofing. Sure enough Terry got in the pool alone to take the test. He had no issues with the tread. The instructor had him switch to drown proofing (in drown proofing you have to stay afloat without moving your body). Terry had perfect form. Yet he sunk like a rock to the bottom of the deep pool. He'd push off the bottom, come to the surface, get his breath of air, and sink right to the bottom again. He did this two or three times before he was just exhausted and had to reach for the side. Terry wasn't doing anything wrong. The issue was the air in Terry's lungs wasn't enough to keep in afloat. His body was so lean, he had no fat to help him to float.

Terry and I both passed our test and moved on after a day or two.

Terry and I went our separate paths and joined the Fleet. A couple of years later, I am reading an article in the Naval Aviation Safety Magazine called "Approach." There was an article about an E-2 crew which had to bail out over the Med due to an engine fire. E-2 bailouts are about as common as South Carolina conference championships. All crewmembers survived. I scanned the names of the crew and whose name did I see......Terry's. I'm thankful his LPA worked!

https://www.avgeekery.com/that-time-a-navy-hornet-shot-down-a-navy-hawkeye/

Oct 7, 2019, 1:42 PM

Well Sarge, I don't know when you were in boot camp, but when I was in Navy boot camp, if my memory serves me correctly, that's exactly how they taught us to float, on your back, arms extended slightly, and gently kicking with your legs and arms. They also taught us a neat way to make your trousers a flotation device. There was a specific time you had to stay afloat, I don't recall how long, maybe thirty minutes, if you couldn't do it, you were sent to what they called rock company, where you stayed until you could do it. Some of the rocks that wound up in our company, said life was so miserable in rock company, that you definitely wanted to get out as soon as you could. The guys that never could catch on, were discharged. In speaking with sailors and Marines these days, I've come to learn that many things have changed, concerning training of new recruits, maybe surviving in the water is another way it has changed, but that was more than forty years ago. By the way, we had a good many white guys that swam like rocks, couldn't stay afloat for thirty seconds before sinking like a rock, and a few though not many, black guys that were good swimmers. I'm not trying to argue with you sarge, just kinda looking at how things have changed from my time to yours.

Oct 7, 2019, 1:58 PM

Floating on your back in the ocean is a big "no no" for survival. Waves can crash on top of you. Always lean forward so you can see what's coming at you.

Oct 7, 2019, 2:23 PM

Probably right Paws, but that's the way the good ol' Navy taught us, and like I said, that was more than forty years ago. There was a story a member of my Church told me. He was a WWII Navy veteran. He said a crewman fell overboard one night, while at sea. Naturally when he wasn't present at morning muster, they did a search for him. They found him almost a day and a half later, still alive. He had used the trousers for flotation like he was taught in boot camp. It probably saved his life. I would imagine wearing a flight suit, something like that, wouldn't be to practical.

Oct 7, 2019, 2:30 PM

Trousers definitely work if you are wearing them.

Sadly too many shipmates disappear over the side still. If no one sees you fall, especially at night, you are screwed. Safety rules about being on deck with proper gear are a lot stricter now than they were just 20 years ago.

your lungs have air so you are

Oct 7, 2019, 2:43 PM

More stable on your back and move less

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 2:48 PM

Parris Island 88 here. We were taught the back float as you described but with a gentle bicycle riding leg motion as legs are generally not buoyant. Agree with using the trouser legs tied off around neck in the ocean. Devil Dog went over the side of a carrier (think it was late 90s) into the Indian Ocean at night. Floated like that for 32 hours until some Pakistani fishermen made a lucky catch.

Oct 7, 2019, 3:21 PM

One thing I remember about the Indian Ocean, full of sharks. Lucky catch indeed.

Oct 7, 2019, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Water Safety Football Players ]

Awesome stories! Thank all of you for sharing!

The United States Marine Corps 1992 - 2000 here!

I had a father that was a green beret. He use to put my brother and I in Lake Robinson and basically demand we get it. We couldn't go play like the other kids could when we went to the Lake unless we had shown him some level of competence in the water. Basically, know how to stand up or be able to kick enough and move enough to get to where you could. That was when we were 6 - 10 years old. As we got older we got into sports and didn't want to hang out with dad as much.
FFWD to 92 and I join The USMC headed to Parris Island after the prior semester in college then a few months working at a restaurant.
Arriving at P.I. at night of course and standing on the infamous yellow foot prints was rough. But, when we got over to 3rd Battalion and "met with"the Senior D.I. and he went on to talk about swim qual - swimming qualification - I was like "oh S-word"!
I hadn't swam a lick since I was like 10. Anyway, we get to the swim qual portion of training and we were taught to use our trousers as flotation devices. We were also taught to float on our backs. As OP said many A.A or dark green marines had a hard time with swim qual. It is a matter of keeping calm to pass the basic CWS-4 basic swim test of 25 m. We also did a more comprehensive test my Drill Instructors wanted all of us to pass with combat gear. This was a challenge at first for me; but as I am swimming with gear and all I could think about was my dad when I was younger saying, "i'm teaching you something that might save your life one day" and I was able to power through eventually/exhausted though. It was good for the confidence and made me feel like I could do anything especially because I had passed the basic swimming requirement. Now, swimming with boots on and gear is the actual swim qualification; where as before it was "a point of pride" thing to kind of separate recruits.

Fun times! Thank you all for your service as well!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 4:14 PM

And to you HR Tiger

Oct 7, 2019, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Water Safety Football Players ]

Thanks to you as well brother.
Semper Fi 88-08

I'm white and found the same thing SgtLeFlore

Oct 7, 2019, 4:30 PM

I typically sink on a chest forward or straight up and down dead mans float. I found kicking onto my back with my arms out in a "T" works best for me as well - maybe we have denser bones than other people. Anyway, I found that when I get on my back I can fill my lungs with air and they act as a de-facto flotation device that keeps my head above water (especially in sea water). This resting position also has the advantage of seamlessly starting a back stroke which I believe to be the easiest and least tiresome of the swimming techniques.

For the record, I hated military drown proofing (had to do it just about every summer in the Army) but did learn some valuable techniques in regards to making flotation devices out of pants, tops etc...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 5:29 PM

Hey sarge, wasn't paying attention, but you were actually in only a few years before me. I would have thought the training would be the same. Maybe they were training you guys for a different type of water environment, not the ocean. Anyway, we all survived, and none of us drowned, thankfully.

Oct 7, 2019, 5:45 PM

BTW. Spent plenty of time in Robinson but more of a Black Creek guy here ??.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic