Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Walt Deptula just said something interesting ab Stoudt
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Walt Deptula just said something interesting ab Stoudt

Jul 28, 2014, 4:12 PM

Said that most Clemson fans start off talking about Stoudt by saying he will do such and such better than Boyd, then explained why this way pretty crazy.

Sounds like Walt has been reading Tigernet

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If so, then let me say BGR was overpriced and overcooked.

Jul 28, 2014, 4:16 PM

It was nowhere near the best burger ever. I always liked Walt's enthusiasm during the ad for the guy who makes carved wooden signs though.

Re: Walt Deptula just said something interesting ab Stoudt

Jul 28, 2014, 4:21 PM

I just like him bc he speaks as a non fan for all teams around here, so he's realistic. Never paid much attention to the commercials

It's not crazy for anybody who's seen both play;

Jul 28, 2014, 4:36 PM

there is good reason to believe that is the case. However, in fairness to Walt, how Stoudt will perform as a full-time starter against the best other very good teams have to throw at him remains a big question mark.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It is crazy to say that....

Jul 28, 2014, 6:16 PM

the only meaningful game time Stoudt played was against a bad Boston College team in 2011. Sorry, but you can't compare mop up duty to meaningful playing time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not comparing . . . just observing and making a guess based

Jul 28, 2014, 6:36 PM

on that observation.

Of course playing well in mop-up does not mean he will play well as a full-time starter. I'm pretty sure I made that clear. It's not unreasonable (or crazy), however, to observe players in that situation to try to get some kind of idea how they might perform when they do become starters or face stiffer competition and then form an opinion based on that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Did you mean misreading Tnet?

Jul 28, 2014, 4:41 PM

Cause even among the ijuts here I've not herd a soal say Cole was as good as Tajh.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no, but many have said.........

Jul 28, 2014, 4:45 PM

things along the lines of

"cole will be better at "so&so" than tajh was"
"cole will actually run the offense better & at a faster pace"..........(asinine imo)
"cole will make better decisions than tajh did"

and so on.........

I'm convinced Soudt will make

Jul 28, 2014, 4:58 PM

Better decisions faster and his passing proficiency will be better than Boyd's.

I do think he will play "smarter" than Boyd--for whatever

Jul 28, 2014, 5:01 PM

that's worth.

Case in point, the Orange Bowl: game on the line, Tigers have the ball, 3rd down, clock is running. Coaches tell Boyd: "no matter what you do, DON'T THROW THE BALL." We don't want a stopped clock or, god forbid, an INT.

I don't think Stoudt will ever throw the ball in a situation like that. We all know what Boyd did.

Maybe so, but would sto it'd have 6 Tds attributed

Jul 28, 2014, 5:11 PM

To his stats playing "smarter." I think Tahj did take risks, some that worked and some that didn't, you only know about the ones that didn't. I bet he has checked out of play calls numerous times and it worked out in our favor.

Some say he's faster... I get the impression that his delivery is longer and not as quick. This will cause an issue in some of these games this yr.

Yeah Boyd set the record for most total yards in an Orange..

Jul 28, 2014, 6:25 PM [ in reply to I do think he will play "smarter" than Boyd--for whatever ]

Bowl.

Re: I do think he will play "smarter" than Boyd--for whatever

Jul 28, 2014, 8:07 PM [ in reply to I do think he will play "smarter" than Boyd--for whatever ]

Play had way more to do with nuk Hopkins that Byod

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only a spin doctor could make it look like you're saying...

Jul 28, 2014, 5:07 PM [ in reply to I'm convinced Soudt will make ]

Cole will be a better QB than Boyd.

I've said on many occasions that this year's offensive production will surpass last years. I've attributed much of that to a fleet of running backs, QB play and a stingy defense.

I've even said that the methodical way I expect Cole to march this team down the field will be more devastating to a defense than the quick strike from Tajh to Sammy.

Then some buttwipe comes along and says I stated that Cole is a better QB than Tajh? Please.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only way Stoudt can be better than Boyd is if he has...

Jul 28, 2014, 6:19 PM

a Cam Newton type season, and Stoudt is not a QB who will put up big rushing numbers. There is a reason why Stoudt was Boyd's back up for 3 years.

Re: Only a spin doctor could make it look like you're saying...

Jul 28, 2014, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Only a spin doctor could make it look like you're saying... ]

I hope I'm not the one you are talking about that is "spinning" what u said bc I have no clue what u said and don't care. Most of the time I don't even look at the names I respond to, I read the post and respond. I have read on here in the past few days that Cole Stoudt will run the offense better, be a better QB, however you want to word it it all means the same. The thing is, if he does all of these things better that all these experts on here say, wouldn't he have played by now? Ball out quicker than Tajh? Better decision maker? 2 huge things in an offense, especially Morris O. If he was better, he would have played. If Watson is better, he will play. I'm pulling for Stoudt, but the talk of him being a better QB just to jump on his back now that it's his turn, stoooopid. Lose Tajh, Samny, Hot Rod, but all of a sudden we have freshmen MFL running backs and all Americans that have been back ups. I know that we have talent, but ppl on here trying to make predictions of all this stuff looks so dumb

Cole will be boring...

Jul 28, 2014, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Only a spin doctor could make it look like you're saying... ]

Less quick strike.

More Chinese water torture-esque read the D and take exactly what they give you regardless. He doesn't need to be better than anyone, just the best Cole and I think we are in good hands.

I think he will distribute the ball more effeciently/liberally whatever you want to call it.

Deshawn is better than both of them.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Am I crazy, or do other people like

Jul 28, 2014, 7:59 PM

the gradual grind/march offenses? I like to see the opposing DL gasping for air and start to doubt themselves. You can read it in their body language. They're scared, and they know there's not much they can do to stop the march towards their endzone.

Not so much a GT type grind, but I like to see a varied pass/run attack with the occasional homerun swing.

well for all we know stoudt may be the NFL #1 pick..........

Jul 28, 2014, 5:07 PM [ in reply to I'm convinced Soudt will make ]

but i'll have to see it to believe it.

but nothing in cole's experience/play was even close to being in situations that could "CONVINCE" me of any of those you mentioned...........and that's not a knock on cole.........he's just not been in game situations with any kind of pressure

we'll know soon enough

Multiple people have said that***

Jul 28, 2014, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Did you mean misreading Tnet? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Boyd is easily one of the two best QBs to ever play

Jul 28, 2014, 4:58 PM

at Clemson and think anyone knocking him is an idiot BUT, he did develop a tendency during his Sr. year of relying on himself too much. By that I mean holding the ball too long trying to escape the pocket and taking a sack, or forcing throws that weren't there, or getting cute with the ball (like his two INTs in the OB).

I get the sense that, with Stoudt, we're not going to have as high "highs" but we won't have as low "lows" either. I don't think he's going to be a better runner or passer (so not a better QB) but I think he's going to play smarter.

It is really difficult to measure because Boyd had the best

Jul 28, 2014, 6:14 PM

system and best collection of skill talent to put up numbers and win.

I wonder what other guys would have done, but we will never know.

Boyd also played behind a bad offensive line for 3 years***

Jul 28, 2014, 6:23 PM

that is ridiculous, he had a LT now in the NFL, a great

Jul 28, 2014, 6:42 PM

center for two of the years and some other good players.

It wasn't Alabama good by any measure but it wasn't bad. The question is getting an apples to apples comparison to other clemson QBs and you can't do it because Boyd was in a superior system with a superior OC and superior talent around him. To try to deflate that point by pretending he just had bad OLs is ridiculous.

Was he the best or one of the best? Maybe, but you don't know.

As a unit the oline didn't play good...

Jul 28, 2014, 6:45 PM

yes we had good individual oline players, but as a unit the oline did not play well. We have been far too dependent on the passing game the past 3 years, and have yet to see the power spread Chad Morris wants to run.

yeah that first ACC title in 21 seasons was a real low...

Jul 28, 2014, 6:22 PM [ in reply to I think Boyd is easily one of the two best QBs to ever play ]

along with the first 10 win season in over 20 years. Along with beating VT twice in 2011, beating AU and FSU that same season. Another low was going 11-2 in 2012 after beating LSU. And you can't deny that 3 straight seasons of 10 or more wins was just deflating. Beating Georgia last season was a real low too. It was so disappointing winning our first Orange Bowl in 32 years over OSU.

Seriously, you are clueless.

Smartest response! Agree naturally!

Jul 28, 2014, 8:03 PM [ in reply to I think Boyd is easily one of the two best QBs to ever play ]

Thanks Ace!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think McCarron - that's what you need

Jul 28, 2014, 8:06 PM [ in reply to I think Boyd is easily one of the two best QBs to ever play ]

calm, don't force. you don't have to be tajh or tajh lite. manage like a Russell Wilson and let d mash people. it's a simple formula. and oh yeah - run offense at blistering pace

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Jul 28, 2014, 6:37 PM

Not as much as you though

Jul 28, 2014, 7:39 PM

Thank you cupton

Jul 29, 2014, 5:13 PM

just a comment on Deptula. He put all his chips on Chad Kelly. Thought he'd be a great one. Sooooo, since that time he's never once said anything good about Cole. He's like any other reporter...... can't say he was wrong... so he'll keep beating the drum until HE HAS to give in.

Granted Cole still has to get out and do it. But Ole Walt won't even suggest that he might do well. As soon as Chad was FINALLY shown the door out, he started promoting Watson. I choose to listen to the wisdom of the coaches who see every play in every practice. IF Watson was that close to Cole, no announcement would have been made and the summer would have been devoted to Watson taking over. But every report from coaches is that STOUDT is the leader and doing a great job leading the team in workouts.

Everything else you read is so someone can have something to talk about. How bout someone thinking that the coaches know what they're talking about?????

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic