Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USF/Charlie Strong
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 3,930

USF/Charlie Strong

Oct 3, 2017, 2:48 PM

Anyone else notice how he is bringing success to a program again as a college football coach.

Was excellent at UL, now USF. Have a feeling the UT struggles are more systemic of that program than him.

Will be interesting to watch him rest of season/next few years down there ...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USF/Charlie Strong

Oct 3, 2017, 2:52 PM

The Texas job will be much easier for Herman than it was for Strong because of what Strong did. Strong went in and cleaned up a lot of trash in that program and the fans and boosters were not willing to wait for him to clean up the trash before improving. They wanted him to be able to do both at the same time.

Oct 3, 2017, 3:28 PM

Texas has been the biggest failure in NCCA football over the last several years in my opinion, if viewed from the perspective of available talent versus actual results. Texas High Schools are loaded with talent. OU, OSU, TCU, Baylor (until they went criminal) and even Houston, have all won recently with Texas talent.......but not UT. I get a very strong vibe of "we're entitled, cuz we're Texas" whenever I'm in Austin (several times a year, for the last 20 years). To steal a Texas phrase, UT is "all hat, no cattle".

USF was already in good shape

Oct 3, 2017, 2:53 PM

11-2 last year, #19 final rank

Charlie Strong just picked up where Willie Taggart left off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: USF was already in good shape

Oct 3, 2017, 2:59 PM

Fair point. At least he's keeping the course steady then -

I respect both coaches

Oct 3, 2017, 3:03 PM

I'm not sure what happened with Charlie Strong at Texas, but I suspect that he was battling strong forces that were never fully on board. I believe he'll get another shot at a Power-5 coaching job after a few years of success at USF.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: I respect both coaches

Oct 3, 2017, 3:07 PM

Like the coots when muschamp gets fired in 2-3 years

there was a time when Strong wouldn't

Oct 3, 2017, 4:04 PM

entertain a conversation with them. but time has a way of healing old wounds, so, he just might entertain the convo if he gets what he wants from Tanner... and they were very cordial when he was here, so, it just might happen...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I like Strong, USF was already good

Oct 3, 2017, 3:05 PM

when he got the job. Flowers is a darn good QB.

And, I expect Texas is going to be much improved before the year is over and into next year.

We saw what happened to Ohio State's offense once Herman left.

Don’t beat around the bush regarding Texas

Oct 3, 2017, 3:06 PM

Strong was not wanted by the most powerful booster at Texas because he was a black man. If I remember right, there is a video clip of this booster saying some racial words about Strong. Strong was doomed to failure from day one. Things will be easier for Herman.

Strong is one of the best coaches in America IMO. I am thankful our ####### neighbors in Columbia never hired him.

He will not be at USF long. I’d bet he ends up at another Power 5 in the very near future. Tennessee comes to mind.

Oct 3, 2017, 3:37 PM

AS HE HAS EVERY OTHER PLACE HE HAS BEEN HIS RECORD WILL FALL OFF WHEN HE USES UP THE PREVIOUS COACHES PLAYERS. NEVER HAVE GOTTEN THE CHARLIE STRONG LOVEFEST.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2017, 3:41 PM

or your lovefest of ALL CAPS ...

We'll see -

That's not true.

Oct 3, 2017, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Re: USF/Charlie Strong ]

This is just his 3rd HC job and he's only a month into it. The Texas thing was a disaster, but it's hard to know how much of that was him and how much was Texas.

His record by season at Louisville:

2010: 7-6
2011: 7-6
2012: 11-2 (Sugar Bowl win)
2013: 12-1

I'm failing to see the regression there as Kragthorpe's players moved on. On the other hand, i did see a really strong defense left behind by Strong that Petrino leaned on for several years. Interestingly enough, Louisville has really regressed on that side of the ball under Petrino as Strong's players moved on - many to the NFL.

Oct 3, 2017, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Re: USF/Charlie Strong ]

That is wrong...

He built ULs program up from a bad spot.

They were 4-8 the year before he got there.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I like Charlie Strong, but he inherited a great team

Oct 3, 2017, 3:43 PM

that was left behind by Willie Taggert when he took the Oregon job.

Oct 3, 2017, 4:31 PM

Following Willy Taggart as HC after he builds a program, and having Quinton Flowers as your QB sure helps anyone look good IMO.

I suggest we give Strong 2-3 years and let's see what he does before heaping accolades on him. I don't think he's really all that good myself. Not bad, just not great.

Don't look now, but Taggart is at Oregon, and the Ducks are on their way back IMO. I expect them to win the Pac-12 within 3-4 years.

Oct 3, 2017, 4:49 PM

They can make a big statement beating Wash St this weekend. I think they do.

Oct 3, 2017, 4:48 PM

I like him a lot but what he has done at USF has little to do with him. They were a great team last year with many returning starters. He has done good keeping them winning but he has a lot to prove there. He was handed a great team.

Replies: 17
| visibility 3,930
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic