Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trump did not cut the CDC budget or end CDC's CGH...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Trump did not cut the CDC budget or end CDC's CGH...

Mar 18, 2020, 5:04 AM

Center for Global Health. That has been repeated here by many who have been deceived.

As the COVID-19 disease caused by the new coronavirus has spread around the world, a number of politicians, news organizations and public figures have made the false claim that the Trump administration cut the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s anti-pandemic work in over 40 countries to just 10. The CDC told us that’s not true.

The claim appears to have been based solely on outdated news reports from early 2018 that said the CDC was preparing to dramatically reduce its work helping to prevent infectious-disease epidemics. Those reports said much of that work on the Global Health Security Agenda, a pact between over 60 nations that began in 2014, had been funded by a five-year, nearly $600 million supplemental package that was dwindling. That one-time funding, which Congress originally appropriated in response to the Ebola epidemic in West Africa in 2014, ran out at the end of September 2019.

The director of the CDC’s Center for Global Health did say at the time that, without additional funding, its Division of Global Health Protection “will have to scale its global health security portfolio to focus efforts based on existing resources,” as the Wall Street Journal first reported in January 2018. If that happened, the official said the CDC would shift its focus to just 10 “priority countries” and “plan for the completion of its country-based programs” in 39 other nations, the Journal’s story said.

Those hypothetical cuts were avoided, however, because Congress later provided more funding for the CDC’s global health programs, the CDC told us in a statement..."

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/false-claim-about-cdcs-global-anti-pandemic-work/?platform=hootsuite

I can't read the original article from WAPO but it's widely reported.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/16/no-white-house-didnt-dissolve-its-pandemic-response-office/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trump did not cut the CDC budget or end CDC's CGH...

Mar 18, 2020, 5:44 AM

It seems that you only have to try to persuade only about 4 or 5 brainwashed individuals. They are so blinded by hate and racism, they couldn’t see the truth of it slapped them in the face.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2020, 12:01 PM

Touch,

You know both sides seem to constantly talk about the other side being brainwashed. Maybe we could put the insults aside (on both sides) and work toward emphasizing empirical evidence and rational thinking. Maybe we could respect each other enough as Americans to operate on the assumption of the intelligence of the other guy. As long as we keep yelling at each other, I don't see how we fond a way to the real evidence or the middle ground that we need to move forward - together.

Mar 18, 2020, 7:00 AM

HHS funding has been cut 15-18% annually during this administration to offset budget priorities elsewhere, including in the new proposed FY2021 budget. No additional commentary, that’s just reality.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2020, 7:27 AM
HHS budget.PNG(52.0 K)

https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/fy-2021-budget-in-brief.pdf

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol***

Mar 18, 2020, 8:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, he ordered me not to say a word.

Mar 18, 2020, 8:20 AM

I didn't say one.

What's happened to American is the steady barrage of false statements which are shown to be false after the loudest Americans (twitter users) spread them across the face of the earth. People refuse to admit or want to believe they've been deceived for two reasons.

First and most important, it make them look stupid and embarrasses them for reporting lies as truth.

The second is that they passionately want to believe sensational and negative reports that support their politics.

Re: Well, he ordered me not to say a word.

Mar 18, 2020, 8:34 AM

You’re looking at mandatory programs rather than discretionary funding. I’m not trying to change your mind or comment on Trump being right or wrong, but I think you’re more interest in lib pwning than understanding nuance.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My interest is in being honest and ending lies which harm...

Mar 18, 2020, 8:46 AM

America's best president in of my lifetime. That's my opinion, I have freedom of choice too.

Imo, you hear a false statement and it fits your political desire. Sometimes it's just spin and sometimes, like this, it's a blatant lie. After some time passes facts are published which contradict what has been established in your mind as true.

You find yourself faced with being embarrassed because you believed wrongly and repeated false or incorrect information.

You also refuse to admit a mistake even though it really wasn't your fault solely fits your political desire.

I can handle spin when the report is accurate and the truth suffers spin but I don't try to refute blatant lies because I often believe them too. I admit to giving Trump the benefit of any doubt but you never admit to rejecting giving him that.

LOL!***

Mar 18, 2020, 9:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

must be Russian bots spreading lies again***

Mar 18, 2020, 9:19 AM [ in reply to My interest is in being honest and ending lies which harm... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, he ordered me not to say a word.

Mar 18, 2020, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Well, he ordered me not to say a word. ]

I agree, we should follow the actual evidence.

I would rather be corrected, than fool myself into thinking I was right - especially when we are talking about public policy.

One of the problems with social media is that we pass on things that make us feel better about ourselves without checking to see if they are accurate.

The other problem is once someone sees a false article they are very resistant to changing their minds about it even if they are presented with the contradictory evidence. That is why I have Politifact bookmarked. They can straighten a lot of this mess for me.

Mar 18, 2020, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Trump did not cut the CDC budget or end CDC's CGH... ]

Charleston,

Can you give us a link. I think those cuts were proposed in Trump's budget, but I am not sure they went through.

sshhhh...***

Mar 18, 2020, 9:10 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

His budget proposes cuts to the CDC.

Mar 18, 2020, 10:22 AM

Trump didn't disband the Center for Global Health. You can visit the website here:

https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/resources/reports/annual/2017/about-center-for-global-health.html

What he did do is fire the guy who called for a comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics and biological attacks, disbanded the White House National Security Council's entire global health security unit, and he allowed the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Act to expire.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2020, 11:53 AM

Yeah, this is being misrepresented. Trump's budgets indicated some of these cuts but Congress funded them at pretty much the same levels. It might indicate his priorities, but it doesn't seem to have impacted their budgets.

This international pandemic was something that we had little real data to go on. Even SARS and Ebola only gave us some vague idea as to how this might play out. So it is only natural that our ability to respond to Corona might not be perfectly on target.

My only possible complaint is that Trump, with his penchant for not reading full briefings, etc., does not seem to have listened to his experts enough at the beginning. We got off to a slower start than necessary because he refused to understand what was involved.

Mar 18, 2020, 11:56 AM

You are linking to an opinion article. Here is a Politifact check of one of the misleading statements made by Joy Behar. It has some more objective analysis.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/12/joy-behar/view-co-host-wrongly-says-trump-shut-down-37-globa/

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic