Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts in Will Merritt as color...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Thoughts in Will Merritt as color...

Apr 30, 2012, 8:11 AM

Any thoughts on Will Merritt as color commentator for our football broadcasts? I think that he his bad. I hate USC but the guy that does their color is pretty good (Todd Ellis is the worst tough).

Merritt just brings noting to the table.

Any thoughts on who would/could replace him?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dan Dierdorf....

Apr 30, 2012, 8:19 AM

as portrayed by Will Ferrell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Let's get that old homeless dude with the "voice"***

Apr 30, 2012, 8:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts in Will Merritt as color...

Apr 30, 2012, 8:40 AM

Walt Deptula!!!!!

I would NEVER listen to another Clemson broadcast***

Apr 30, 2012, 11:46 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Qualkenbush***

Apr 30, 2012, 8:45 AM

UMMM...NO! How about a Clemson legend who can.....

Apr 30, 2012, 8:35 PM

bring some championship perspective/cred to the booth.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2012, 8:46 AM

Yanity is the problem. He is vanilla. Shows no love for Clemson.

I think he does fine. I like the fact that he's a former

Apr 30, 2012, 8:47 AM

Offensive lineman and the perspective that brings.
Some folks probably don't like him because of his country boy accent but I have one of those accents too so it doesn't bother me.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Merritt ain't the problem...Yannity is and always will be...

Apr 30, 2012, 9:19 AM

I enjoy Southern or "local" flavor in sports broadcasts. Merritt brings that, along with perspective from playing in college, and of course, for the Tigers.

Honestly, I think UGA's broadcast guys do a great job - Scott Howard is one, can't think of the other guy's name. Also GT's is decent. Much better than ours.

Yannity is miserable. Can't stand his voice.

Apr 30, 2012, 9:19 AM

You have GOT to be a coot if you think Tommy Suggs is a good color commentator. He is by far the worst color guy I have ever heard. Ellis can make a 2 yard gain sound like a 98 yard game winning touchdown and Suggs sounds like he is sucking up to the fans. He adds absolutely nothing! Yannity and Merritt are much better than those two clowns.

Apr 30, 2012, 9:21 AM

Merritt might be a nice guy, dunno. But I don't care for him on the radio. I don't appreciate hearing him mention that he played football every single time he opens his mouth.

Apr 30, 2012, 9:26 AM

I like Merritt, don't like the other guy "there's orange in the endzone" is so gay

Apr 30, 2012, 9:25 AM

As a coot, I must say Will Merritt is outstanding at radio IMO. You can tell he's played and knows what he's talking about. He doesn't sugarcoat anything and that's what makes him great. Todd Ellis...I liked you as a player, but radio just isn't for you. I'm so thankful we have Tommy Suggs in the booth...he's the best radio guy for us in decades. I just don't see what you mean that Merritt doesn't bring anything to the table? He tells you inside stuff that players do or did and it makes you become an insider to player knowledge.

^^^that's enough to convince me we need to get rid of him ***

Apr 30, 2012, 9:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Tommy Suggs...

May 1, 2012, 7:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts in Will Merritt as color... ]

"Back when we play "fill in the blank" blah blah blah.....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is awful....solid player but a

Apr 30, 2012, 9:41 AM

hoorible as the football commentator

Solid Player???? More like a testament to the state of...

Apr 30, 2012, 8:44 PM

our program at that time.

merritt's a nice guy and great clemson man. too much of a

Apr 30, 2012, 9:54 AM

fan to be calling games, though.

That's Why I Like

Apr 30, 2012, 8:29 PM

him. He's a former player and a "homer" who gives the nuances of line play better than most announcers. Yannity may not be the best but he's way better than the hysterical sounds from Todd Ellis and the smug "know-it-all" stuff from Tommy Suggs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2012, 10:13 AM

Luckily we did not have to listen to Will Merritt a single time this year. I agree, he is bad. He talks too much. Mike Eppley was the best. I wish we could get someone like Mike again who did not go on and on about his own experiences.

Yep. Will Merritt LOVES Will Merritt! ***

Apr 30, 2012, 8:42 PM

He's what I call a "one upper". No matter what someone....

Apr 30, 2012, 8:49 PM

says, he has to "one up" the story. Thinks he is a comedian also.

I completely disagree.

Apr 30, 2012, 10:39 AM

Pete is no Jim Phillips but he's pretty #### good. Just compare him to "ole smokers voice" down at USuC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Would you rather there not be any

Apr 30, 2012, 10:41 AM

"Orange in the endzone?" Seriously no one is making you listen...people will complain about anything.

Re: Would you rather there not be any

May 1, 2012, 5:25 AM

i'm not a fan of that phrase,either. jim phillips spoiled me, give me a homer for our broadcast team.

"too much of a fan"

Apr 30, 2012, 10:43 AM

Would you rather have a non-fan color commentary guy? Will shows enthusiasm which IMO adds a lot. Specifically I'm thinking about his call at the end of the 2009 Miami game.

Apr 30, 2012, 11:44 AM

When he first came on the air he was very rough around the edges, but to his credit continues to get better. We get his radio show in Charleston and I like when he is on. He is even handed with our rivals as well. The USC color commentator, is petty and jealous, especially towards Clemson. That's the best I can say there. Todd Ellis should stick to law. He was better when they were losing. Pete Hannity's greatest fault is that he is not Jim Phillips. I like radio and am starting to like him more as time goes on.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least he can talk...although a bit too much at times.

Apr 30, 2012, 11:49 AM

Our color guys in years past have been worse than bad as far as the command of the English language.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep on and they will move James Thurn

Apr 30, 2012, 1:55 PM

to do it. He said he wants to be a broadcaster. Could you imagine that tool doing our games?

Apr 30, 2012, 3:20 PM

I admit Jim Phillips was the voice of the tigers and could never be replaced.I think Yannity does OK but I do hate "orange in the endzone" but other than that I can take it.Will doesn't bother me either.It's just hard for anyone to replace JP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2012, 3:30 PM

Hell there is no channel in aiken area where you can get the broadcast so you can listen to the pre game and post game. it is terrible.

Brent Musberger

Apr 30, 2012, 6:33 PM

So we can here him say: "Tajh Boyd, he's going deep, he's got that fellow, uh..., that freshman, uh..., Watkins!!"

seriously, you think tommie suggs is good….

Apr 30, 2012, 8:00 PM

you have to be a coot to like the drivel that comes out of tommie suggs mouth. tommie suggs is a complete moron and his commentary doesn't make any sense. Him and todd ellis have got to be the worst college radio broadcasting team in the nation. Todd Ellis has an ###### every time Marcus Lattimore gets a carry, even when it's just a 3 yard gain he will yell and scream like Lattimore just made 50 yard run.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I smell chicken.......

Apr 30, 2012, 8:02 PM

Suggs? Seriously?
LMAO

I liked it best when Jim Phillips and Rodney Williams were..

Apr 30, 2012, 8:03 PM

the two broadcasters for us.

Phillips and Eppley. Loved Eppley's knowledge and hate....

Apr 30, 2012, 8:38 PM

for all things UNC.

Its embarrassing that we can't do better than that jughead***

Apr 30, 2012, 8:33 PM

This thread is sooooooooo funny...

Apr 30, 2012, 8:59 PM

When Jim Phillips was alive and doing pbp for Clemson, this board thought he was the worst announcer EVER! He was given hell and said he needed to step down. He died and became the greatest pbp Clemson will ever have. Now, it is started all over again with Yannity and Merritt.

so very, very true***

Apr 30, 2012, 9:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

cobb oxford or Dan Scott or Both!***

May 1, 2012, 1:10 PM

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic